Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 01:15 AM   #51
Sideler
Ten Point
 
Sideler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Donated around $150 this year.
Sideler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #52
NDN98
Eight Point
 
NDN98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: McKinney, TX
Default

Going to make my donation again this year. I have 9+ loyalty points in every category I apply for except GDA and GDM
NDN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #53
Deerguy
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

Looks like I'm in for an even 60 this year for $272. Various levels of LP's from 0 up to 22 for pronghorn. some of the higher ones are 10 for archery mule deer, 15 for exotic, 12 for gun deer management, 11 for mule deer, and 12 for private lands either sex.

Last edited by Deerguy; 07-08-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #54
Charlie
Six Point
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Edwards County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods View Post
Texas has too many people and too little public land.
Huntable public land is going to disappear as population increases. State Parks are over run with bikers and hikers.

I'd like to see a system where private land owners are incentivized to open their land at certain times of the year to the public for fishing, hunting, and trapping. I'd like to see a significant property tax incentive or abatements given to those who allow managed public access to their land. I think that if the state offered these incentives and indemnified the property owner for the risk associated with this, then we would way more opportunities to hunt.
My thoughts exactly.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #55
bossbowman
Ten Point
 
bossbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Denton County, 9900 Four Horse Trail
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods View Post
Texas has too many people and too little public land.
Huntable public land is going to disappear as population increases. State Parks are over run with bikers and hikers.

I'd like to see a system where private land owners are incentivized to open their land at certain times of the year to the public for fishing, hunting, and trapping. I'd like to see a significant property tax incentive or abatements given to those who allow managed public access to their land. I think that if the state offered these incentives and indemnified the property owner for the risk associated with this, then we would way more opportunities to hunt.
There is less public land in texas no doubt but there is plenty that is under utilized or not at all, look up BLM land on the red river. The public areas in texas that do allow deer hunting all season are federal lands, some of the NWR don't but their prerogative is more preservation not conservation. Any state lands are very restrictive on hunting they allow usually, the philosophy in this state on deer hunting is just different and very protective for whatever reason, there is plenty of resource.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #56
sweetinlow660
Ten Point
 
sweetinlow660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pottsboro
Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
there is less public land in texas no doubt but there is plenty that is under utilized or not at all, look up blm land on the red river. The public areas in texas that do allow deer hunting all season are federal lands, some of the nwr don't but their prerogative is more preservation not conservation. Any state lands are very restrictive on hunting they allow usually, the philosophy in this state on deer hunting is just different and very protective for whatever reason, there is plenty of resource.
shhhhhhhh.
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #57
sweetinlow660
Ten Point
 
sweetinlow660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pottsboro
Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
There is less public land in texas no doubt but there is plenty that is under utilized or not at all, look up BLM land on the red river. The public areas in texas that do allow deer hunting all season are federal lands, some of the NWR don't but their prerogative is more preservation not conservation. Any state lands are very restrictive on hunting they allow usually, the philosophy in this state on deer hunting is just different and very protective for whatever reason, there is plenty of resource.
It all boils down to money. The state cant incentivize Private land owners enough to even come close to what they can make on private leasing, nor does the state want to lose the business from ALL people wishing to use the public land in order to provide to the hunters. They do what they can to make everyone share and play nice, but we are fighting a losing battle in the Lonestar state for sure.
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #58
tward1604
Six Point
 
tward1604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: wherever I can
Default

I get it that folks get mad that other folks are applying for the same spots you want but wow. Because you want the spot others shouldn't be allowed to? What am I missing? And raising the prices might make it so that not everyone can afford to apply. I'd love to apply for all of the hunts but can't afford that now so you make it more expensive and now i can barely afford to apply for one hunt. Lets not make hunting any more of a rich mans game than it's already becoming.


Just apply and be happy when you get drawn.
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #59
sweetinlow660
Ten Point
 
sweetinlow660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pottsboro
Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward1604 View Post
I get it that folks get mad that other folks are applying for the same spots you want but wow. Because you want the spot others shouldn't be allowed to? What am I missing? And raising the prices might make it so that not everyone can afford to apply. I'd love to apply for all of the hunts but can't afford that now so you make it more expensive and now i can barely afford to apply for one hunt. Lets not make hunting any more of a rich mans game than it's already becoming.


Just apply and be happy when you get drawn.
Slow Clap.....in 3....2....1.....
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #60
Deers & Beers
Ten Point
 
Deers & Beers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Wherever I Can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward1604 View Post
I get it that folks get mad that other folks are applying for the same spots you want but wow. Because you want the spot others shouldn't be allowed to? What am I missing? And raising the prices might make it so that not everyone can afford to apply. I'd love to apply for all of the hunts but can't afford that now so you make it more expensive and now i can barely afford to apply for one hunt. Lets not make hunting any more of a rich mans game than it's already becoming.


Just apply and be happy when you get drawn.
It has nothing to do with that. No one is mad because other people are applying to where they want to apply, that's always happened. It's that Texas has one of the worst hunt lottery systems in the entire U.S. and it would be so easy to make it one of the best by just making a handful of common sense changes.
Deers & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #61
J-Bob
Ten Point
 
J-Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Draws
Default

I think it is funny that everyone complained back in the day when you could only apply for one hunt per category. Now people complain that you can put in for all of them. I like the new system. Would rather have the option of putting in for as many as I want.

I get the argument for being able to buy a point in a category. Makes sense.

But I would much rather be able to put in for multiple hunts in one category. If you have other hunting options and are only putting in for a handful of premier hunts then it benefits you to have the old system to increase your odds, but if you don’t have your own place and are a meat hunter like me who is going to load up on doe/spike and hog applications then the new system is much better.

I think the fact that it is online now is affecting the odds much more than the number of hunts one can put in for per category.

But like others have said, no one gets picked so save your $ and don’t apply.
J-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 11:42 PM   #62
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young
 
SCREAMINREELS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF
Default

I put in where i could with my schedule. 60 something dollars between me and my dad as my partner.
havent applied for gator yet, trying to figure out who i can get to apply with. thats one i dont want to go alone for and buddy will be out at work in september.

if anyone has some points built and in the same boat pm me. ill be at 5 or 6 points this year on gator

Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 07-08-2018 at 11:45 PM.
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #63
Grizz83
Ten Point
 
Grizz83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Coryell Co, Collingsworth Co, Colorado, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I have 22 in Pronghorn. Other categories range from 1 to 16. Only have 4 in Bighorn. They deleted all my previous points and made me start over at 0 for that one a few years ago. That sucked.
Oh yeah, I remember when TPWD screwed you over that time. You poor fella!

I drew an elk tag for Colorado, so I'll be applying for 1 hunt in every category this year and hoping to NOT get drawn. Sure wish they would just add a LP only option. Also, I saw that the Powderhorn WMA was added to the list this year. I bet that one will be nearly impossible to draw.
Grizz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #64
BradBryant1000
Ten Point
 
BradBryant1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Caddo Mills, TX
Hunt In: Mason, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz83 View Post
Oh yeah, I remember when TPWD screwed you over that time. You poor fella!

I drew an elk tag for Colorado, so I'll be applying for 1 hunt in every category this year and hoping to NOT get drawn. Sure wish they would just add a LP only option. Also, I saw that the Powderhorn WMA was added to the list this year. I bet that one will be nearly impossible to draw.
I saw the Powderhorn in there this year also. I admit I didn't know anything about it prior to that. I've looked around on line and learned a little bit about it. I'll put in for it for grins and giggles.

And congratulations on your elk tag!!!
BradBryant1000 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #65
Bryan2014
Four Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Burleson county, Menard County, Alaska
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
I saw the Powderhorn in there this year also. I admit I didn't know anything about it prior to that. I've looked around on line and learned a little bit about it. I'll put in for it for grins and giggles.

And congratulations on your elk tag!!!
Donít mention it and less people will know about it LOL
Bryan2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #66
lordvader
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default

Call TPWD, they can give the answer you seek. Yeah, I wouldn't want to lose my points either.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #67
tdwinklr
Six Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Leonard, TX
Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Call TPWD, they can give the answer you seek. Yeah, I wouldn't want to lose my points either.
They will change your status if you ask, in the scenario where you find you can't go on a particular date and the draw hasn't taken place yet, TPWD will remove your entry so that you don't lose acquired points from the past, in case you are picked.
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #68
bossbowman
Ten Point
 
bossbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Denton County, 9900 Four Horse Trail
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
I saw the Powderhorn in there this year also. I admit I didn't know anything about it prior to that. I've looked around on line and learned a little bit about it. I'll put in for it for grins and giggles.

And congratulations on your elk tag!!!
Haha, there's only 12 permits. They need to up their permit #'s, I remember when they would draw 180 permits just for archery at Gus Engeling and the antlerless gun as well as management gun was well over 100 permits, now it's way less.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #69
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young
 
SolocamShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin,TX
Hunt In: East TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Haha, there's only 12 permits. They need to up their permit #'s, I remember when they would draw 180 permits just for archery at Gus Engeling and the antlerless gun as well as management gun was well over 100 permits, now it's way less.
Thatís something a lot of people donít look at is how many fewer permits places are giving out every year.
SolocamShooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #70
lk05077
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default

put my daughter in for a few hunts not holding my breath
lk05077 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #71
JackRyan
Four Point
 
JackRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Brownsville
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk05077 View Post
put my daughter in for a few hunts not holding my breath
If your daughter is 17 or younger you should really check out the Texas Youth Hunting Program. It is a fantastic program.

www.tyhp.org

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #72
osochuck
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

x1000 on TYHP, took my son on his first deer and turkey hunt. First time kids get priority, both hunts we ate like kings, great company, highly recommend it. Scholarship available also.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
osochuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #73
GBludau
Six Point
 
GBludau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land
Default

I hope luck is on my side! I have to keep my fellow TBH'ers entertained and glued to the GS! Not applying to anything yet. See how work plays out this year. Applying early is not a smart move. Keep your cards in hand til the dealer is ready!
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #74
bossbowman
Ten Point
 
bossbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Denton County, 9900 Four Horse Trail
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I hope luck is on my side! I have to keep my fellow TBH'ers entertained and glued to the GS! Not applying to anything yet. See how work plays out this year. Applying early is not a smart move. Keep your cards in hand til the dealer is ready!
Actually talking to the people that wrote the computer program the earlier you put in the better your chance, it rotates throught the applications in order of entry, the earlier you put in the more times the wheel spins by your name so to speak.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #75
Mule Skinner
Nubbin' Buck
 
Mule Skinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Eastern Edwards Co.
Default

Last fall my son got drawn for a mule deer hunt. I think I was more excited about it than he was. It was a chance at the Holy Grail.

A few weeks after we received that news I got the dreaded email. I was finally drawn for a Gun Deer Either Sex hunt. Yep, you guessed it, the hunt was scheduled the same weekend as my son’s youth hunt.

It pains me to type this, but that was the first time I was drawn for a buck hunt. Twenty six years of applying and 26 preference points down the drain.

Oh well, I don’t regret it and that’s how the system rolls. After all, I was the one who double booked!
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #76
Grizz83
Ten Point
 
Grizz83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Coryell Co, Collingsworth Co, Colorado, Kansas
Default

Yep that really sucks. That's happened to me before. Most of the time now I apply for specific dates and not "Any date".

How did the muley hunt go and where was it?
Grizz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #77
Mule Skinner
Nubbin' Buck
 
Mule Skinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Eastern Edwards Co.
Default

It was at Big Bend Ranch State Park and it was awesome. We hunted in snow the first morning. We pretty much hunted all 2.5 days non stop. And saw one deer that was about 600 yards away. Unfortunately our compartment had limited vehicle access. If it had a road bisecting it we could have covered more ground and probably seen more deer. Still a great hunt. My son passed on javelina, we bumped a few coveys of blues and found some nice sheds.

Out of the four kids who showed up to hunt, a girl was the only one to score and she got a buck for the wall.

The mule deer hunt was a first for both of us and even though I wasn’t hunting, the thought of hunting West Texas for them, well, it gets in your blood.

Considering that my buck hunt was at Honey Creek SNA (next to Guadalupe River State Park), I wasn’t too torn up about missing it as I might have had a chance at a hill country buck and possibly an exotic. I did pay the $80 for the hunt as insurance though, in case my son got sick or something came up to where he couldn’t make the trip west. Yet another donation to TPWD!
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #78
BradBryant1000
Ten Point
 
BradBryant1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Caddo Mills, TX
Hunt In: Mason, TX
Default

I got my kids applications put in for their hunts.

I'll put my dad and myself in for ours at some point tomorrow.
BradBryant1000 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #79
bullets13
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fannett
Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
I’ve got a bone to pick with a buck in Fort Boggy. He slipped right by me last year after almost running head first into my blind. Maybe I’ll get lucky and draw that place again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve got a bone to pick with tpwd about fort boggy. They messed up last year and drew too many names for the anterless and let us know about 5 days before the hunt that we’d been “undrawn.”

Last edited by bullets13; 07-14-2018 at 10:18 PM.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #80
Ungawa
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Williamson County
Hunt In: Lampasas County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
I’ve got a bone to pick with tpwd about fort boggy. They messed up last year and drew too many names for the anterless and let us know about 5 days before the hunt that we’d been “undrawn.”
Thats just wrong. Sorry to hear that happened. They should have honored the hunts. And only 5 days notice is unacceptable, people make plans.....take off work arrange around other events, school.
Ungawa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com