Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 07-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #151
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF, and anywhere you want to take me ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
I have a question for early season bowhunters. When scouting for a good early season stand, will I be better off playing the odds on summer winds primarily coming out of the south to hunt bedding areas? Or should I look for better travel corridors for evening hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early season is a crap shoot. We've had come fronts roll in on opening morning, and then not had them until mid October.
I always try and plan on hunting them like it summer, but usually the acorns have dropped and they aren't on that pattern. You might get a week or two where they are on that pattern. But honestly, I'd find some oaks, that mast crop is good, from October-November ( depending on rain)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #152
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )

Happy fourth of July guys, stay safe out there. Someone hit my car last night and fled the scene. Found out where he lived so we are gonna visit today. He was definitely drunk or high sadly enough, so watch yourselves.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #153
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF and Trinity Co.

Sorry POS. Hope you work it out Chief.
BowOnly81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #154
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowOnly81 View Post
Sorry POS. Hope you work it out Chief.
Thanks man, filing a report now.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #155
dmack
Pope & Young

Hunt In: shnf

Thatís so chicken ****. Running from the seen. They at least could have left a number so you could settle up the next day.
dmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #156
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack View Post
Thatís so chicken ****. Running from the seen. They at least could have left a number so you could settle up the next day.
What I'm guessing is that they were drunk. My car was about 30 to 40 feet past the turn onto The street so there's no way they should have hit it at the angle that they did. The people that live here are also not exactly cream of the crop. They tried to pick up the pieces of their bumper that they blew out, but they missed a piece that went under my car.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #157
dmack
Pope & Young

And on this rainy day we celebrate the Fourth of July. The birth of the country. And also the birth of this years spike killer.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #158
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

New this year I believe. At least I don't remember it previously. Must purchase aph to apply for doe permits I'm happy about that as I haven't drawn one in a couple years.hopefully that will increase to odds of being drawn and everyone wont just click to apply that may not even hunt it since it's a free application.
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #159
HighwayHunter
Six Point

Quote:
And on this rainy day we celebrate the Fourth of July. The birth of the country. And also the birth of this years spike killer.

Thatís a fine looking bow sir!

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #160
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
New this year I believe. At least I don't remember it previously. Must purchase aph to apply for doe permits I'm happy about that as I haven't drawn one in a couple years.hopefully that will increase to odds of being drawn and everyone wont just click to apply that may not even hunt it since it's a free application.
Agreed. Iím interested to see if t makes a difference. Back when you had to send in through the mail I got drawn plenty. Once they moved it to the internet only I stopped being drawn. Too easy for people to put in and while not using it.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #161
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:

I sure hope it makes a big change. I would like to start getting them again.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #162
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thatís a fine looking bow sir!

Thanks. Now if it would stop raining so I can shoot it at some distance. And make a sight tape.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #163
HighwayHunter
Six Point

Quote:
Thanks. Now if it would stop raining so I can shoot it at some distance. And make a sight tape.

Man Iím about ready to sell my single pin. I love shooting from 0-70 with small adjustments but dealing with those sight tapes can be a pain, especially when using different arrows.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #164
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

I feel you, I haven't shot since HF and I swung by. I feel like I'm gonna be pulling shots left and right.
Quote:
Old 07-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #165
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Man Iím about ready to sell my single pin. I love shooting from 0-70 with small adjustments but dealing with those sight tapes can be a pain, especially when using different arrows.

I wouldnít know how to act with a multi pin. Have not had one in ten years. Besides, most shots are within 20 and 30 yards. I set it at 25 and hold high or low. And always shoot the same arrow. Same weight , fletching, broadhead, knock. Every little thing can change arrow flight. I want them to fly better then I can shoot them. So they wonít let my bad shots miss.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #166
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
I feel you, I haven't shot since HF and I swung by. I feel like I'm gonna be pulling shots left and right.

I am stuck in my box. So I set the triax up. And restrung my trx38. They stretched a bit. So she got new ones.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #167
HighwayHunter
Six Point

Quote:
I wouldnít know how to act with a multi pin. Have not had one in ten years. Besides, most shots are within 20 and 30 yards. I set it at 25 and hold high or low. And always shoot the same arrow. Same weight , fletching, broadhead, knock. Every little thing can change arrow flight. I want them to fly better then I can shoot them. So they wonít let my bad shots miss.

I think thatís what I plan to do. Been practicing like that. Iím just talking about shooting carbon arrows at 3D and shooting maybe fmjís or whatever you hunt with and having the single pin makes you completely switch up unless you have another sight.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #168
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Quote:
I am stuck in my box. So I set the triax up. And restrung my trx38. They stretched a bit. So she got new ones.
Sweet, what strings do you use? I've heard winners choice strings are pretty good. Also if I paid you 20 bucks or so could you cut down my arrows that I brought by last time? They drop pretty fast past 25-30ish yards.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #169
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think thatís what I plan to do. Been practicing like that. Iím just talking about shooting carbon arrows at 3D and shooting maybe fmjís or whatever you hunt with and having the single pin makes you completely switch up unless you have another sight.

I hear ya. That makes sense.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #170
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sweet, what strings do you use? I've heard winners choice strings are pretty good. Also if I paid you 20 bucks or so could you cut down my arrows that I brought by last time? They drop pretty fast past 25-30ish yards.

Premium mathews strings. They donít let us use other strings. And no big deal on the arrow cutting. Just swing by sometime.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #171
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Ah okay I gotcha, forgot about all those sponsorship caviats. And thanks if I have the time I may swing by this weekend if you aren't busy. And if you come to the meet up opening weekend of bow seasom I'll pick up your lunch tab
Quote:
Premium mathews strings. They donít let us use other strings. And no big deal on the arrow cutting. Just swing by sometime.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #172
HighwayHunter
Six Point

Quote:

Youíre sponsored by Mathews? Thatís awesome man! Iím about to pick up a new hyperforce for deer season

Old 07-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #173
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Youíre sponsored by Mathews? Thatís awesome man! Iím about to pick up a new hyperforce for deer season

Kinda. But I think this will be our last year. We are tired of always being on the road. And ready to spend time doing other things. Like my boat. Ten years for me and twenty for the wife. Thatís long enough. We will still shoot some. But not like we have been doing.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #174
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Happy fourth of July guys, stay safe out there. Someone hit my car last night and fled the scene. Found out where he lived so we are gonna visit today. He was definitely drunk or high sadly enough, so watch yourselves.

Sorry to hear that. I'd be filing more than a police report.
Hopefully it'll all work out.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #175
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Looks like a doe killer to me....I mean spike.
That's usually how it happens.....

Old 07-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #176
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've sent a couple emails and spoken to someone at TPWD about this. This is their first attempt at making things better.
They are aware that people are applying for the tag that don't even live in the area, and have no intention of hunting in the Sam.
They see a free tag and apply. Once they win the tag they start looking for the dates of the "hunt" and then realize their mistake.
I've asked them to consider making the tag transferable. If not a straight transfer, then an option would be to be able to collect the tags issued to people that won't use them and allow them to be sent back and re issued.
If any of you get a chance, y'all should send an email or give them a call and voice your opinion. They are actually very receptive to ideas. At least they listened and who knows what may come of it.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:06 PM   #177
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'd be filing more than a police report.
Hopefully it'll all work out.

I would have, cop said if I dropped him I'd end up behind bars though. Funny how the justice system works. First he hits my car while intoxicated. Leaves the scene, and then lies to the cop about it while we had a piece of the car left behind as proof, and still didn't get arrested.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #178
HighwayHunter
Six Point

Quote:
Kinda. But I think this will be our last year. We are tired of always being on the road. And ready to spend time doing other things. Like my boat. Ten years for me and twenty for the wife. Thatís long enough. We will still shoot some. But not like we have been doing.

Cool to 24 year old me whoís fairly new to the world of archery. I could definitely get into something like that. If you donít mind me asking how did you get into that?

Old 07-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #179
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Quote:
Cool to 24 year old me whoís fairly new to the world of archery. I could definitely get into something like that. If you donít mind me asking how did you get into that?

Legend has it you have to be such a good archer that no spikes in the Sam are safe. When that happens, they will find you.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #180
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
I would have, cop said if I dropped him I'd end up behind bars though. Funny how the justice system works. First he hits my car while intoxicated. Leaves the scene, and then lies to the cop about it while we had a piece of the car left behind as proof, and still didn't get arrested.

Can't arrest him for DWI, because he can't prove it. However he should be able to issue a ticket for leaving the scene, which I think is a felony.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #181
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Quote:
Can't arrest him for DWI, because he can't prove it. However he should be able to issue a ticket for leaving the scene, which I think is a felony.

Yeah he didn't even do that. The guy said "his friend was driving, and he is on his way back to Mexico already." Cop said he couldn't prove it so he didn't even issue a citation. Handed him my police report and said since it was so useless he could use it to wipe is *** for all I care.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #182
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:

Itís not easy. You have to be half way decent at shooting. Always promote the product in a good way. Go to all the shoots. Itís not easy for sure. Or you can marry a hot woman already shooting on the pro level. . But even then it took years to get on the national level factory staff.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #183
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yeah he didn't even do that. The guy said "his friend was driving, and he is on his way back to Mexico already." Cop said he couldn't prove it so he didn't even issue a citation. Handed him my police report and said since it was so useless he could use it to wipe is *** for all I care.

Sucks for sure.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #184
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Legend has it you have to be such a good archer that no spikes in the Sam are safe. When that happens, they will find you.

Lol. That made me laugh. Some day I might sit in the woods long enough to kill a big deer. Who am I kidding? I donít care about that stuff. I hunt to feed the house.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #185
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:

It's tough. The pressure to win is hard to handle. Your always being watched. For someone single it's probably much easier. But with a family, it's tough. You're always practicing or getting ready for a shoot or at a shoot. Did it for a few years, but family won over. We all shot, and that was tough, getting ready meant tuning 4 bows, getting 4 sets of arrows ready and kept up with, etc, etc.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #186
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Quote:
Sucks for sure.

Yeah tell me about it. For offenses like this I feel like polygraphs should be administered and admissible in court.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #187
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Lol thought it might. It's okay if I saw one step out I'd probably go for it too
Quote:
Lol. That made me laugh. Some day I might sit in the woods long enough to kill a big deer. Who am I kidding? I donít care about that stuff. I hunt to feed the house.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #188
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thank God! Y'all would starve if they had to wait on you shooting a big deer!

Yeah, I said it!

Said the man who shoot every doe he can to eat!

Mmmm, on the grill right now.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #189
HighwayHunter
Six Point

Quote:
It's tough. The pressure to win is hard to handle. Your always being watched. For someone single it's probably much easier. But with a family, it's tough. You're always practicing or getting ready for a shoot or at a shoot. Did it for a few years, but family won over. We all shot, and that was tough, getting ready meant tuning 4 bows, getting 4 sets of arrows ready and kept up with, etc, etc.

I think Iím going to try and start shooting at little 3D tournaments. Might try Texas archery just to get a feel for it. Donít they have a shoot every second Friday of the month?

Old 07-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #190
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think Iím going to try and start shooting at little 3D tournaments. Might try Texas archery just to get a feel for it. Donít they have a shoot every second Friday of the month?

Daniel knows when they shoot. I think it's every Friday. But not sure. It was a blast, don't get me wrong. I've got a wall of trophies, but I missed a bunch of time with my family. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #191
HighwayHunter
Six Point

Quote:
Daniel knows when they shoot. I think it's every Friday. But not sure. It was a blast, don't get me wrong. I've got a wall of trophies, but I missed a bunch of time with my family. Good luck whatever you decide.

Still not sure if Iím even good enough to really compete, but I am a pretty competitive person so Iím sure Iíd at least have some fun with it.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #192
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Still not sure if Iím even good enough to really compete, but I am a pretty competitive person so Iím sure Iíd at least have some fun with it.

There ya go.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #193
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:

You are kinda at the wrong time of the year. State championship is next weekend. But Texas archery shoots the second Friday of the month. Just check there Facebook account. Indoor season starts up after hunting season. Brazos shoots this Sunday in college station. They put up a very good course. Figure out what class you want to shoot. And get the right set up for it.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #194
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
Now before Keith left, he said you were going to be filling the freezer with elk...
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #195
dmack
Pope & Young

We would love to go elk hunting. But we need the time to go. I am hoping for more time next year.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #196
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
We would love to go elk hunting. But we need the time to go. I am hoping for more time next year.
Well, get with me if I can be of any help. I may just use one of Keith's old bows and try to stick me an elk this September. I still have to get time to get the bow set up for me.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #197
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
Well, get with me if I can be of any help. I may just use one of Keith's old bows and try to stick me an elk this September. I still have to get time to get the bow set up for me.

If you donít mind. Who is this?
Old 07-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #198
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
If you donít mind. Who is this?
Sorry, Keith's dad
Old 07-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #199
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
Sorry, Keith's dad

Now it makes sense. We need to get together talk about that hunt. Itís been so busy around here I donít know if we are coming or going. How has Kieth been? Sure he is ready to come home by now.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #200
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

hello...
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top