Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #101
GWHunter
Ten Point

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
As luck would have it, I have a couple of meetings in Denver next week for work. Since my bride won't be in town for the weekend, anyway, I'm probably going to stay over until Memorial Day and go hike and scout our hunting area for a couple of days! I'm pretty excited about that! I may even get Courtney to come up for the weekend and hike with me.

I'm also going to try to drop by Kifaru's shop and visit with Aron Snyder about packs. Should be a fun trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be awesome to get to talk to Aron, and pick his brain. I love listening to him on the Gritty Bowman, and Kifarucast podcasts. Guy has tons of knowledge of backpack, and elk hunting in general.
GWHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #102
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWHunter View Post
That would be awesome to get to talk to Aron, and pick his brain. I love listening to him on the Gritty Bowman, and Kifarucast podcasts. Guy has tons of knowledge of backpack, and elk hunting in general.

I've been soaking up podcasts the last few weeks. Aron definitely seems to have a lot of knowledge and opinions on all things elk. I enjoy listening to the GB and their guests.

Maybe I should ask if he's willing to be the first guest on TBH Podcast #1!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #103
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
I've been soaking up podcasts the last few weeks. Aron definitely seems to have a lot of knowledge and opinions on all things elk. I enjoy listening to the GB and their guests.

Maybe I should ask if he's willing to be the first guest on TBH Podcast #1!

Foreshadowing force is strong today.....

I have four reeds in my truck. I use to be a big Bugling bulls reed guy, but really like Phelps AMP Reed’s. The Blue BRO series Amp is my favorite all around. Try a bunch, example I can’t run a real tight stretch well.

To me 90% of my love of elk hunting is calling them in. Other 10% just bring in the mountains.

Start practicing now and you will have it down by sept.
Texans42 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #104
Michael
Administrator

I bought a few Packit Gourmet items for my weekend scouting trio as alternative to Mountain House.

I'm going to shoot a few review videos while I'm in the mountains, and I'll let you know how the Packit Gourmet tastes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #105
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

Just some comments to consider, this comes from trying to figure it all out in the field. In regards to the GPS vs phone. My phone had little to no signal back where we were hunting most of the time. I used the GPS to primarily mark specific locations like wallows, benches, heavily used trails, stand locations etc. The phone was really a great camera/video recorder. I thoroughly used google earth extensively to familiarize my hunting area before going. You can go into tools in Google Earth and adjust the terrain option to be much higher and it helps realize the differences in the topography of an area. You can also scroll back in dates on google earth as the photos over the years are taken at different times of the year. Late September photos and early October can really help define the aspen areas with the color change and then the bare Aspens after the loss of the leaves in an area. October and November photos do an excellent job of identifying where the Dark timber is as the Aspens are all bare. The elk like to bed in the dark timber. The also like to hang out and eat in the Aspens. Find Dark timber on northern slopes with water drainage's nearby and Aspens nearby and you have already increased your chances of seeing elk. Every trip is a learning experience. Hunting pressure pushes the elk onto private land pretty quickly. Again, wish you a awesome experience and hope you tag a good bull.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #106
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Hunter View Post
Just some comments to consider, this comes from trying to figure it all out in the field. In regards to the GPS vs phone. My phone had little to no signal back where we were hunting most of the time. I used the GPS to primarily mark specific locations like wallows, benches, heavily used trails, stand locations etc. The phone was really a great camera/video recorder. I thoroughly used google earth extensively to familiarize my hunting area before going. You can go into tools in Google Earth and adjust the terrain option to be much higher and it helps realize the differences in the topography of an area. You can also scroll back in dates on google earth as the photos over the years are taken at different times of the year. Late September photos and early October can really help define the aspen areas with the color change and then the bare Aspens after the loss of the leaves in an area. October and November photos do an excellent job of identifying where the Dark timber is as the Aspens are all bare. The elk like to bed in the dark timber. The also like to hang out and eat in the Aspens. Find Dark timber on northern slopes with water drainage's nearby and Aspens nearby and you have already increased your chances of seeing elk. Every trip is a learning experience. Hunting pressure pushes the elk onto private land pretty quickly. Again, wish you a awesome experience and hope you tag a good bull.

Awesome info! I've been studying Google Earth, but switching dates is a great idea! Thanks!

Old 06-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #107
HDWRENCH
Six Point

I hunt public in Co every year . I think many of you are over thinking it .. WAY too much gear . Its about being light weight and being able to cover a **** ton of ground . Also look into finding a rancher that will pack out the meat on horse back as in most areas you cannot take the quad off road .. You have limited time with bears. And trust me they are on the kill very fast .

I came from 5500 feet so the lack of O2 is not an issue for me . GPS that you know how to work & use , extra batterys the timber can look all the same and easy to get turned around . I cannot stress knowing the GPS . Mark you way trail ( bread crumb setting) many times you can get blocked trying to go back as the crow flies .. Been there done it .

IMG_0927 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Just over 10,500 feet here . Feeling good and have a great time .

IMG_0919 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

My set up and there I am just over 3 miles off the road . Light weight baby light weight
IMG_0964 by GMR Performance, on Flickr
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #108
HDWRENCH
Six Point

I have three packs that one worked out but lacked support and is not making the trip this year . Bought a new bandlands to be able to put my bow on it ..

Side arm is a must . Up to you what you want I carry a G with extended mags in 40 cal with barnes X bullets . 16 rounds should get the job done and one extra mag as well .. i cam face to face with a 350+ lbs Sow last year and its a scary deal..

good luck you will love it .. Drones are a great tool as well , and legal to use , you cannot push game with them but you can pop one up to get a birds eye view for scouting . I did not use one but a guy in camp had one and I saw things that you cannot see from the ground . Not game per say just how the natural funnels are .
Old 06-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #109
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
I have three packs that one worked out but lacked support and is not making the trip this year . Bought a new bandlands to be able to put my bow on it ..

Side arm is a must . Up to you what you want I carry a G with extended mags in 40 cal with barnes X bullets . 16 rounds should get the job done and one extra mag as well .. i cam face to face with a 350+ lbs Sow last year and its a scary deal..

good luck you will love it .. Drones are a great tool as well , and legal to use , you cannot push game with them but you can pop one up to get a birds eye view for scouting . I did not use one but a guy in camp had one and I saw things that you cannot see from the ground . Not game per say just how the natural funnels are .
I took my DJI Spark for my scouting trip, but my understanding is that it's not legal to use while hunting.
[quote]DENVER, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife Law Enforcement and Public Safety Assistant Director Heather Dugan says CPW is seeing more cases of Colorado hunters illegally using drones.

“The bottom line is, if it’s related to a hunt in any way, you can’t do it,” Dugan said. “For scouting, locating, anything. If they fly before they take an animal, they’re illegal. If they use the drone to locate an animal they may have shot and wounded, they’re illegal.”

Dugan stressed that the use of a drone for hunting is not only a violation of CPW Commission Regulations (see below), but also a violation of the Federal Airborne Hunting Act.

Even for non-hunters, drone use on CPW land is restricted. It is not legal to take off or land a drone in any of CPW’s more than 350 state wildlife areas. Drone use in state parks is limited to those parks with a designated area for model aircraft use. Even then, drone operators should be aware that it is illegal to harass wildlife.

Dugan said, “The harassment definition is that it causes any change in the behavior of the wildlife. So if the animal runs, if it changes direction, if it stops eating, that's harassment. Any change in the animal is considered harassment and it’s illegal.
Quote:
DENVER, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife Law Enforcement and Public Safety Assistant Director Heather Dugan says CPW is seeing more cases of Colorado hunters illegally using drones.

“The bottom line is, if it’s related to a hunt in any way, you can’t do it,” Dugan said. “For scouting, locating, anything. If they fly before they take an animal, they’re illegal. If they use the drone to locate an animal they may have shot and wounded, they’re illegal.”

Dugan stressed that the use of a drone for hunting is not only a violation of CPW Commission Regulations (see below), but also a violation of the Federal Airborne Hunting Act.

Even for non-hunters, drone use on CPW land is restricted. It is not legal to take off or land a drone in any of CPW’s more than 350 state wildlife areas. Drone use in state parks is limited to those parks with a designated area for model aircraft use. Even then, drone operators should be aware that it is illegal to harass wildlife.

Dugan said, “The harassment definition is that it causes any change in the behavior of the wildlife. So if the animal runs, if it changes direction, if it stops eating, that's harassment. Any change in the animal is considered harassment and it’s illegal.

http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages...px?NewsID=6315
If the "harassment" definition stands up in court, then pretty much any drone activity could be determined illegal at any time.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #110
HDWRENCH
Six Point

I knew there was some issues with it " scouting vs hunting" we got there before season started by 1 day so I guess that may have been kinda legal then ?? as I said I do not own one .

But good to know .. Did you bear hunt by the way as last year the baiting thing took on a new twist.. Baiting is not legal however they added in hunting over any dead animal is now not legal .. Hence gut pile or quarter elk parts etc .. I saw a small black running through the woods with about half a deer carcass .. I gave him a wide berth .. headed off in the other direction .. I could hear him crushing the bones .. makes the hair stand up on your neck for sure
Old 06-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #111
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
I knew there was some issues with it " scouting vs hunting" we got there before season started by 1 day so I guess that may have been kinda legal then ?? as I said I do not own one .

But good to know .. Did you bear hunt by the way as last year the baiting thing took on a new twist.. Baiting is not legal however they added in hunting over any dead animal is now not legal .. Hence gut pile or quarter elk parts etc .. I saw a small black running through the woods with about half a deer carcass .. I gave him a wide berth .. headed off in the other direction .. I could hear him crushing the bones .. makes the hair stand up on your neck for sure
Such crap. DOW basically begs you to get a bear tag, due to over population issues. No telling how much they spend on problem bear management
Old 06-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #112
HDWRENCH
Six Point

Hunt big game over bait, whether or not the person hunting personally
placed the bait. Bait means to put, expose, distribute or scatter salt,
minerals, grain, animal parts or other food as an attraction for big game.
Salt or mineral blocks used for normal agricultural purposes are not considered
bait. Scent sticks that smell like food are illegal for bears.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #113
Michael
Administrator

Quote:

This is my first trip and I didn't draw a bear tag. My hunting partner did, though, so we'll probably put a little effort in if we see sign or a bear.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #114
HDWRENCH
Six Point

bear draw for this coming year has not happened yet .its online you know right away if you got it .
Old 06-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #115
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
bear draw for this coming year has not happened yet .its online you know right away if you got it .
Almost every OTC archery elk unit is OTC for archery bear with Caps
Old 06-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #116
HDWRENCH
Six Point

Aug first online is how I do it . archery bear anyways OTC caps and that date is not exact but its in that time frame .
Old 06-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #117
TWarren
Four Point

Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico

I will disagree with a sidearm being a requirement. Every bear I've ever seen in Colorado was tripping over itself to escape, cubs included.

If you are so close to a sow she feels defense is the only option, she will have you on the ground before you can pull your sidearm.

Awareness is the best defense.
Quote:

TWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #118
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
Almost every OTC archery elk unit is OTC for archery bear with Caps
What is "with caps?" (I have several on my dash! )

Old 06-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #119
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
What is "with caps?" (I have several on my dash! )
Aug 9th over the counter with caps opens. Basically first come first serve and they hardly ever sell out in most units. Over 90 units for archery and they are OTC archery and NOT available through draw.

CAPS is Dow language
Old 06-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #120
ladrones
Pope & Young

http://mtntactical.com/knowledge/rob...ckpacking-kit/
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #121
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post

Good resource! Thanks!

Old 06-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #122
jnd1959
Four Point

I guess I'm the contrarian when it comes to shoes. I use the same ones I backpack in for hunting. Oboz low cut hiking shoes. If you've done your work with weight on your back your ankles will handle the terrain. They dry quickly, there light, and with gators and traction I've even traversed spring snowpack.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #123
Michael
Administrator

It's starting to come together. One of the biggest (and most expensive) puzzle pieces arrived yesterday!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #124
cram369
Four Point

Nice looking pack. Is that the medium size belt pouch?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
cram369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #125
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram369 View Post
Nice looking pack. Is that the medium size belt pouch?

Yes. Just for the photo, I put one medium pouch on the left hip and one at the bottom of the pack.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #126
cram369
Four Point

Thanks. Was looking at getting a medium pouch to run on left hip.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:57 PM   #127
Michael
Administrator

Default I'm Going Elk Hunting in CO - Help Me With Gear Recommendations! (Video)

Quote:
Thanks. Was looking at getting a medium pouch to run on left hip.

I think it will work pretty well.

I also picked up a set of the Ultralight pullouts to help organize.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #128
Michael
Administrator

Default I'm Going Elk Hunting in CO - Help Me With Gear Recommendations! (Video)

I also bought the Native pack with the intent to possibly run as a lid (if I need more capacity) or just as a daypack for whitetail hunts.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #129
cram369
Four Point

I was planning on getting the guide lid, nalgene holder, and medium belt pouch for this fall, but ordered a new bow for my son. Which pack did you get?

Old 06-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #130
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
I was planning on getting the guide lid, nalgene holder, and medium belt pouch for this fall, but ordered a new bow for my son. Which pack did you get?

I got the Cavern based on large part on Aron's recommendation. What pack do you have?

Old 06-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #131
cram369
Four Point

Got the Reckoning. I'm planning on hunting White tail on public land some, and the load shelf holds my hang on stand, and climbing sticks go in bag.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #132
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Got the Reckoning. I'm planning on hunting White tail on public land some, and the load shelf holds my hang on stand, and climbing sticks go in bag.

The Reckoning was on the short list. It is very similar to the Cavern (with identical independent compression system). Have you hunted with yours yet? How do you like it?

Old 06-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #133
HDWRENCH
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWarren View Post
I will disagree with a sidearm being a requirement. Every bear I've ever seen in Colorado was tripping over itself to escape, cubs included.

If you are so close to a sow she feels defense is the only option, she will have you on the ground before you can pull your sidearm.

I would not disagree being aware is key but there are times when its just a **** happens deal , like in my case .

I was within 25 yards .. But my opinion & you have yours.. I will carry just like I do every day no different there than here ..

Honestly I do not recall seeing one guy without a side arm while hunting though ..
Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #134
cram369
Four Point

First backpack hunt with it will be September. Versatility was reason for going with it. Works great for moving hang on set up, and can be expanded enough for 7-12 day trip in September. Have only put 30 -40 miles on it.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #135
cram369
Four Point

I do carry bow(on NAP Apache sling), bino harness, GPS, and range finder as well as pack. Finish my hike with 6-12 arrows and 50 yds with everything on.
Quote:
The Reckoning was on the short list. It is very similar to the Cavern (with identical independent compression system). Have you hunted with yours yet? How do you like it?

Old 06-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #136
Michael
Administrator

Quote:

Great choice! I'll be curious to get your feedback after your hunt.

I was leaning toward Sitka or Kuiu for camo clothing, but I found a great deal on these First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants and an Aero Wool shirt.

I'm not afraid to mix-and-match patterns and brands!

Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #137
Raleigh
Ten Point

Quote:

This is definitely a personal call. I have hunted in the mountains for 18 years. I have seen a number of bear that will run away and most that we never saw but heard. I have only been charged once. It was a false charge but it got scary quickly. You just never know. If carrying a sidearm makes you feel better I'd say take it.

With that said I don't carry in the woods while bow hunting however this year I am taking my boys and it will make me feel better if I have one.
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #138
NoFence
Eight Point

Quote:

Here's a lot of stories that say otherwise.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz5JS15M9is
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #139
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

Handheld gps and compass for sure.
Friends of mine got lost there for 2 days.
kruppa24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #140
simek
Ten Point

You're in deep now, Middleton.
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #141
cram369
Four Point

All three make great gear. I bought the First Lite uncompaghre vest. Bought black ovis wool base layer top and boxer briefs. Still wearing my Cabela's microtex pants and top. Have looked at corregate guide and Sitka mountain pants, and both tops, but haven't found and great deals in my size. Bought Crispi Nevada uninsulated boots.
Quote:
Great choice! I'll be curious to get your feedback after your hunt.

I was leaning toward Sitka or Kuiu for camo clothing, but I found a great deal on these First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants and an Aero Wool shirt.

I'm not afraid to mix-and-match patterns and brands!

Old 06-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #142
equyst
Four Point

interesting thread,Sub'd
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #143
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by equyst View Post
interesting thread,Sub'd

Be sure to sub to my YouTube channel, as well. I'm going to be doing gear "preview" videos ahead of my hunt and then more comprehensive reviews after I get back.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #144
Michael
Administrator

I made a new video highlighting my current sleep system that I'll likely run this fall, including an interesting new synthetic quilt from Outdoor Vitals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYF47WVHuC0

Do you prefer ground (tarp or tent?) or hammock camping?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #145
cram369
Four Point

On the fence between tarp and tent, but am using 1 1/2 man tent with xtherm pad and 20 degree bag this year.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #146
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

Get you a Montana elk decoy!!! They work like a mofo!!!!!and they breakdown and weigh nada. They are around 120? I think or I have one in my garage ill sell.
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #147
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
On the fence between tarp and tent, but am using 1 1/2 man tent with xtherm pad and 20 degree bag this year.

Perfect! What's the total weight of that system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
Get you a Montana elk decoy!!! They work like a mofo!!!!!and they breakdown and weigh nada. They are around 120? I think or I have one in my garage ill sell.
I think Adam may have one, but I'll check it out! Thanks!

Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #148
cram369
Four Point

Tent 4 lbs 2 oz
Neo air 5.7 r value 17 oz
Sleeping bag 2 lbs 6 oz
Should be able to cut 7 oz from tent when I pick up aluminum poles, but a 10 x 10 tarp system would only weight 1 1/2 lbs

Old 07-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #149
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Curious to see what all your gear weighs. I didn't read thru your list, but a bow sling was something I didn't take on my first trip....but I dang sure had one on my second!

I bet on your next trip you streamline the hail out of your gear I know I did!
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #150
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

I have an excel spreadsheet I have pulled off the internet and catered to what I'm bringing. Would be happy to share it with anybody if you PM your email address. Breaks down gear by category and displays price and weight. You can pull the original spreadsheet here

Gear and 4 days of food and 3L of water- I'm at 36.8lbs packed if I leave my rain gear and extra t-shirt at the truck. 39.12lbs if I bring it.

Last edited by Patton; 07-12-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top