Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #101
jtbrock179
Six Point
 
jtbrock179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LORENA,TX
Hunt In: mexico
Default

We have 1-2 openings on our 28500ac.ranch near Acuna It is part of the 130k Seco Ranch.
Please text for info and pics 254-709-3752
jtbrock179 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #102
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbrock179 View Post
We have 1-2 openings on our 28500ac.ranch near Acuna It is part of the 130k Seco Ranch.
Please text for info and pics 254-709-3752
Awesome opportunity for someone!
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #103
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

Where the heck are everyone’s hunters going? Seems like lots of openings this year on some good places
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #104
BolilloLoco
Ten Point
 
BolilloLoco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Where the heck are everyoneís hunters going? Seems like lots of openings this year on some good places
Hunting has been tough for last two years. Mexico is unlike anywhere else but itís still hunting for most of us.
Slowdown in oilfield has some guys staying home as well.
BolilloLoco is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #105
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
Hunting has been tough for last two years. Mexico is unlike anywhere else but itís still hunting for most of us.
Slowdown in oilfield has some guys staying home as well.
Thatís whats weird is should be getting better and oilfield picking up
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #106
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Mex. Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La Grange Tx.
Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Thatís whats weird is should be getting better and oilfield picking up
Not on the production side yet. Spend all the money on them pipe Pushers right now. Hopefully it makes full circle for everyone soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 10:45 PM   #107
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
Not on the production side yet. Spend all the money on them pipe Pushers right now. Hopefully it makes full circle for everyone soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Itís starting. See more and more frac sites popping up out here
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #108
jtbrock179
Six Point
 
jtbrock179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LORENA,TX
Hunt In: mexico
Default

Thanks for the bump Shane the spots have been filled.
jtbrock179 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 11:37 PM   #109
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

The guys I know that have left Mexico recently are some first timers that go down expecting a 170”+ to walk out the first 5 minutes. Then soon realize it’s still hunting and just as hard and get frustrated. Like stated Mexico is like no other place, but it’s also no gaurantee! I’ve had this convo i know with bo it’s especially hard to get it done with a bow and many years tags get ate. I wouldn’t trade it but many guys go into it thinking it’s a done deal they’re gonna kill a monster every sit when that’s just not realistic.
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #110
bukkskin
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pipe Creek/Helotes
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
The guys I know that have left Mexico recently are some first timers that go down expecting a 170Ē+ to walk out the first 5 minutes. Then soon realize itís still hunting and just as hard and get frustrated. Like stated Mexico is like no other place, but itís also no gaurantee! Iíve had this convo i know with bo itís especially hard to get it done with a bow and many years tags get ate. I wouldnít trade it but many guys go into it thinking itís a done deal theyíre gonna kill a monster every sit when thatís just not realistic.
X2, well said Fred.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #111
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbrock179 View Post
Thanks for the bump Shane the spots have been filled.
You bet brother, good to hear!
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #112
Hombre
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

You young guys that are hunting Mexico for the first time better soak it up. You are enjoying the last truly great frontier for REAL whitetail hunting. Years from now you will be saying, "I hunted Mexico back when it was true wild hunting". Not many places like that left in North America. No tagged deer and no genetic freaks waiting for their morning feed truck.
When I can no longer hunt Mexico, I will just hang it up as there is nothing like it and most likely never will be.
I had a dear friend who hunted Mexico back in the late 50's and 60's. He killed 4 or 5 bucks that were true monsters, big typicals and non typicals. Deer didn't know what corn was and he would camp out on a fence crossing and might go 3 or 4 days and see one buck and only a handful of does. Deer were just beginning to spread into some of the prime ground and those deer were huge. The screwworms were also keeping the deer pop down. Things have sure changed but I still love it.
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #113
MexHunter7STW
Spike
 
MexHunter7STW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Temple, TX
Hunt In: Nuevo Leůn, Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
You young guys that are hunting Mexico for the first time better soak it up. You are enjoying the last truly great frontier for REAL whitetail hunting. Years from now you will be saying, "I hunted Mexico back when it was true wild hunting". Not many places like that left in North America. No tagged deer and no genetic freaks waiting for their morning feed truck.
When I can no longer hunt Mexico, I will just hang it up as there is nothing like it and most likely never will be.
I had a dear friend who hunted Mexico back in the late 50's and 60's. He killed 4 or 5 bucks that were true monsters, big typicals and non typicals. Deer didn't know what corn was and he would camp out on a fence crossing and might go 3 or 4 days and see one buck and only a handful of does. Deer were just beginning to spread into some of the prime ground and those deer were huge. The screwworms were also keeping the deer pop down. Things have sure changed but I still love it.
<ó- what he said! ...and thatís why I hunt past the 2nd checkpoint. Old Mexico👍
MexHunter7STW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #114
EastTexasMan
Ten Point
 
EastTexasMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: College Station, tx
Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas
Default

For anyone thatís used a motograder out in old Mexico, how many miles do you think a motograder would do on ranch roads out there in the rockier country in say an 8 hour day?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #115
bukkskin
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pipe Creek/Helotes
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
You young guys that are hunting Mexico for the first time better soak it up. You are enjoying the last truly great frontier for REAL whitetail hunting. Years from now you will be saying, "I hunted Mexico back when it was true wild hunting". Not many places like that left in North America. No tagged deer and no genetic freaks waiting for their morning feed truck.
When I can no longer hunt Mexico, I will just hang it up as there is nothing like it and most likely never will be.
I had a dear friend who hunted Mexico back in the late 50's and 60's. He killed 4 or 5 bucks that were true monsters, big typicals and non typicals. Deer didn't know what corn was and he would camp out on a fence crossing and might go 3 or 4 days and see one buck and only a handful of does. Deer were just beginning to spread into some of the prime ground and those deer were huge. The screwworms were also keeping the deer pop down. Things have sure changed but I still love it.
No doubt about it.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #116
Jbguide
Four Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
No doubt about it.


Yep nothing like Ol Mexico!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jbguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #117
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
You young guys that are hunting Mexico for the first time better soak it up. You are enjoying the last truly great frontier for REAL whitetail hunting. Years from now you will be saying, "I hunted Mexico back when it was true wild hunting". Not many places like that left in North America. No tagged deer and no genetic freaks waiting for their morning feed truck.
When I can no longer hunt Mexico, I will just hang it up as there is nothing like it and most likely never will be.
I had a dear friend who hunted Mexico back in the late 50's and 60's. He killed 4 or 5 bucks that were true monsters, big typicals and non typicals. Deer didn't know what corn was and he would camp out on a fence crossing and might go 3 or 4 days and see one buck and only a handful of does. Deer were just beginning to spread into some of the prime ground and those deer were huge. The screwworms were also keeping the deer pop down. Things have sure changed but I still love it.
Yep I hunted there for 7 years on the same ranch.. My last year to hunt south of the border was 11 years ago... I sure do miss it and want to hunt it again BAD but the constant feeding/work programs that these operations are requiring these days is just more than I have time for.. Man we never fed anything but corn and we didn't start that until season began and there were some BIG(for those days)wild deer killed for(180's) and some BIGGER deer seen, that weren't ever killed, during that time period.. The part that fascinated me the most about hunting over there was that those monster bucks where naturally occurring.. The big ranches plus low hunting pressure combined with the protein content that is naturally occurring in the browse over there is the perfect recipe..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #118
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Mex. Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La Grange Tx.
Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Yep I hunted there for 7 years on the same ranch.. My last year to hunt south of the border was 11 years ago... I sure do miss it and want to hunt it again BAD but the constant feeding/work programs that these operations are requiring these days is just more than I have time for.. Man we never fed anything but corn and we didn't start that until season began and there were some BIG(for those days)wild deer killed for(180's) and some BIGGER deer seen, that weren't ever killed, during that time period.. The part that fascinated me the most about hunting over there was that those monster bucks where naturally occurring.. The big ranches plus low hunting pressure combined with the protein content that is naturally occurring in the browse over there is the perfect recipe..
You wont Find a personal on this Thread that Don't Wish Those Days Still Existed. The Truth is Overhunting on Bucks, High Doe Numbers, and Ranches Being Divided Took its Toll on Mexico. Are There Still big Deer Out There With Out Management Yes But, After Hunting 20yrs and not being one of the Lucky Few I Choose to Better My Odds by Giving Back instead of Just Taking What Little is Left and Saying "Boy I Remember Back when it was Worth Crossing that Dam River"
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #119
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Yep I hunted there for 7 years on the same ranch.. My last year to hunt south of the border was 11 years ago... I sure do miss it and want to hunt it again BAD but the constant feeding/work programs that these operations are requiring these days is just more than I have time for.. Man we never fed anything but corn and we didn't start that until season began and there were some BIG(for those days)wild deer killed for(180's) and some BIGGER deer seen, that weren't ever killed, during that time period.. The part that fascinated me the most about hunting over there was that those monster bucks where naturally occurring.. The big ranches plus low hunting pressure combined with the protein content that is naturally occurring in the browse over there is the perfect recipe..
Thereís still many ranches that donít do the year round feeding it can be as simple or intense as you want. Much like any lease
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #120
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
You wont Find a personal on this Thread that Don't Wish Those Days Still Existed. The Truth is Overhunting on Bucks, High Doe Numbers, and Ranches Being Divided Took its Toll on Mexico. Are There Still big Deer Out There With Out Management Yes But, After Hunting 20yrs and not being one of the Lucky Few I Choose to Better My Odds by Giving Back instead of Just Taking What Little is Left and Saying "Boy I Remember Back when it was Worth Crossing that Dam River"
I hear you... That's a great attitude..
If I had the time to dedicate to a place I would definitely be on the hunt for a spot over there. There is no place like it on the planet.. As commercialized as in maybe these days it is still the wild, wild west compared to this side of the river..
A couple of things that I really miss are the way that the bucks responded to horns and the numbers of bobcats I would see.. We had ALOT of cats for some reason.. Fun to watch..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #121
Jbguide
Four Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Yep I hunted there for 7 years on the same ranch.. My last year to hunt south of the border was 11 years ago... I sure do miss it and want to hunt it again BAD but the constant feeding/work programs that these operations are requiring these days is just more than I have time for.. Man we never fed anything but corn and we didn't start that until season began and there were some BIG(for those days)wild deer killed for(180's) and some BIGGER deer seen, that weren't ever killed, during that time period.. The part that fascinated me the most about hunting over there was that those monster bucks where naturally occurring.. The big ranches plus low hunting pressure combined with the protein content that is naturally occurring in the browse over there is the perfect recipe..


Thereís still plenty of leases in Mexico that you can just feed corn on. Unlike you though I enjoy the year around management thing. But each to his own.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jbguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #122
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Thereís still many ranches that donít do the year round feeding it can be as simple or intense as you want. Much like any lease
I don't hear about these.. The guys I personally know go all out.. I mean all out!!!!!!!!!! I have nothing against that all but the Mystique of hunting raw Old Mexico country starts mirroring what ruined the mystique of deep south Texas for me.. Hopefully it doesn't follow that path..

I'm sure there are a few out there though.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #123
Jbguide
Four Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Thereís actually a lot of ranches in Mexico that donít require you to have a feed program.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jbguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #124
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Mex. Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La Grange Tx.
Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
I don't hear about these.. The guys I personally know go all out.. I mean all out!!!!!!!!!! I have nothing against that all but the Mystique of hunting raw Old Mexico country starts mirroring what ruined the mystique of deep south Texas for me.. Hopefully it doesn't follow that path..

I'm sure there are a few out there though.
Sad But, True. The Days of Getting on a 100k ac ranch with 10 hunters are Over Pretty Much. Now your Lucky if you can still pull off 1hunter Per 1k on Most ranches
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #125
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
Sad But, True. The Days of Getting on a 100k ac ranch with 10 hunters are Over Pretty Much. Now your Lucky if you can still pull off 1hunter Per 1k on Most ranches
LOL. 1 per a thousand ain't bad though.. A man would have to rob several banks to pull that off in the "Golden Triangle" of S.T.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #126
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Mex. Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La Grange Tx.
Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
LOL. 1 per a thousand ain't bad though.. A man would have to rob several banks to pull that off in the "Golden Triangle" of S.T.
Agreed and understood. But, with added hunters and a whole lot more deer being killed the age and quality is a lot lower. Now the fun begins of keeping a lease full in Mexico with maybe a chance of a deer worth crossing in the first place. Mexico ain't South Texas. LoL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #127
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Mex. Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La Grange Tx.
Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico
Default

The last 8hrs I hunted P/L I never seen a deer over 150. When back in the late 80s it was one of the greatest places I had ever hunted to this day including the management side

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #128
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
I don't hear about these.. The guys I personally know go all out.. I mean all out!!!!!!!!!! I have nothing against that all but the Mystique of hunting raw Old Mexico country starts mirroring what ruined the mystique of deep south Texas for me.. Hopefully it doesn't follow that path..

I'm sure there are a few out there though.
My last 4 ranches i have been on we’re just corn 4-6 months out of the year including the one i took over this year. I’ve hunted down south for 10+ years and haven’t been on a protein fed ranch. It’s what you make it and want from your ranch.
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #129
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
My last 4 ranches i have been on weíre just corn 4-6 months out of the year including the one i took over this year. Iíve hunted down south for 10+ years and havenít been on a protein fed ranch. Itís what you make it and want from your ranch.
We had 8,500 acres, not a huge place, and we didn't have a single feeder of any kind on it.. We would feed, with road feeders on jeeps and suburb and, a couple of times here and there before season and pour it to them once season started... It always amazed me how the deer would pour out into the the roads and Senderos as if we had been feeding evry other day throughout the year.... They knew the sound...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #130
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
The last 8hrs I hunted P/L I never seen a deer over 150. When back in the late 80s it was one of the greatest places I had ever hunted to this day including the management side

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Yea I always say if there is 1 170"-180" "wild buck" per 5,000 acres that's really good.. Now killing him is a different story..

Back when I started doing taxidermy,30+ years ago, if I got in a 165-170" buck I would have folks driving for miles to come see him. Not these days.. Heck a 160" from Brazoria county barely raises an eye brow and that's a 1 in a million deer for this county... Lol
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #131
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Mex. Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La Grange Tx.
Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Yea I always say if there is 1 170"-180" "wild buck" per 5,000 acres that's really good.. Now killing him is a different story..

Back when I started doing taxidermy,30+ years ago, if I got in a 165-170" buck I would have folks driving for miles to come see him. Not these days.. Heck a 160" from Brazoria county barely raises an eye brow and that's a 1 in a million deer for this county... Lol
I hear ya. Sad days for sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #132
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Crazy i have to remind myself all the time 140” is the deer of a lifetime for so many! I’ve gotta remind myself from time to time I’m blessed to have the opportunity to chase an pass so many deer that 10 years ago i would never would’ve believed you had you told me I’d pass the deer I’ve had the chance to. It’s a bittersweet process to change hunting “styles” but i love to beat my personal best at whatever i do.
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #133
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southlake, Texas
Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties
Default

I go to Mexico for the adventure, we only run corn feeders for about 3-4 months and road feed, we have a lot of fun, last year I went hunting for arrow heads for the first time, we picked up a boat load of them in just a couple of days, that made my trip. We have not killed any giants, 160 to 170 is tops for us, usually get one or two of those a year. Our landowner is awesome, he stays with us, cooks, cleans deer, and can fix anything, we have become good friends with him and his family.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #134
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Crazy i have to remind myself all the time 140Ē is the deer of a lifetime for so many! Iíve gotta remind myself from time to time Iím blessed to have the opportunity to chase an pass so many deer that 10 years ago i would never wouldíve believed you had you told me Iíd pass the deer Iíve had the chance to. Itís a bittersweet process to change hunting ďstylesĒ but i love to beat my personal best at whatever i do.
Yep.. To me a 140"-150" 6-7 year buck is still a trophy but of coarse a 170" is much better..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #135
texas shag
Ten Point
 
texas shag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Argyle
Hunt In: East Texas, Old Mexico
Default

I can’t wait to experience it. It may not be what it was 25 years ago, but I imagine it is still significantly different than anything north of the border, and if a big buck is a byproduct of hunting down there, I am all for it.

I have hunted Canada, and all over Texas for 25 years and still haven’t broken 145”, so any 7+ year old buck in the 150’s will tickle me pink, and if I happen into a 180” buck, heck yea!

Last edited by texas shag; 03-18-2018 at 08:00 PM.
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #136
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

I first hunted Mexico in 1982 best I remember. Huge ranch. Outfitter didn't know anything about hunting. Didn't see a deer...not one...all week. The following year I hunted a different ranch. The outdoor writer John Wooters was in camp and I thought I had won the lottery. Got so cold my water bottle froze inside my pack by my bed. Didn't see a buck to shoot. The following year I started hunting a 250,000 acre ranch. Wonderful accommodations but once again the outfitter was clueless as to how to hunt the ranch. Was several years hunting this ranch and learning to self guide before I got my first Mexican buck...a 150" 8 pt.

All that nostalgia is fine and well. I now feed protein year round and the hunting is simply phenomenal. I do not long for the 'old days'. I also scarcely run any cameras at all so when we show up for the season its bone chilling excitement to see what will pop out of the brush.And all the elements that make hunting Mexico such a joy are still present...the culture and people, the vastness, the the incredible wildlife, the remoteness and on and on. Just a bit more comfortable now. I'm ok with that.
elgato is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #137
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
I go to Mexico for the adventure, we only run corn feeders for about 3-4 months and road feed, we have a lot of fun, last year I went hunting for arrow heads for the first time, we picked up a boat load of them in just a couple of days, that made my trip. We have not killed any giants, 160 to 170 is tops for us, usually get one or two of those a year. Our landowner is awesome, he stays with us, cooks, cleans deer, and can fix anything, we have become good friends with him and his family.
Ive tried to explain to a few hunting friends about how many arrow heads there are over there and by their looks on their faces I can't tell they think I'm BS'ing them.. I filled a BIG coffee can completely full in 2.5-3 hours one day while on a big flat on high bluff overlooking the river.. Most where busted. It must have been a foundry.. You couldn't hardly step without stepping on a busted piece of flint..
It gave me goose bumps walking around up there just trying to imagine what Indians, how many and how long they had used that bluff... It was wild.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #138
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Man those days are gone..... I remember getting on my first ranch in Mexico because if the quail. We drove about 5 miles and busted 25 covey's.
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #139
La Calavera
Six Point
 
La Calavera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Laredo, TX
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Diesel trucks are now allowed to get permits as long as they are not modified. No flatbeds only 3/4 and 1 ton trucks either duallies or single tire as long as they have regular beds and interiors.
La Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 12:25 AM   #140
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default Old Mexico 2018-2019

Nice Old Mexico buck that I just finished.. Super MASS..



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 12:29 AM   #141
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Mex. Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La Grange Tx.
Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Nice Old Mexico buck that I just finished.. Super MASS..



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turned out Good man. Great work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 02:06 AM   #142
longhorn_cop
Ten Point
 
longhorn_cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Tx panhandle, Mex.
Default

Nice buck and taxi work


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
longhorn_cop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:39 AM   #143
EastTexasMan
Ten Point
 
EastTexasMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: College Station, tx
Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas
Default

We are bringing our east Texas crew to old Mexico, but itís not with the expectation to kill a monster, but the comradery and wide open country to enjoy the remote thrill of the hunt. If we kill a 145Ē+ thatís just a bonus. Sometimes people get too wrapped up in the inches and forget about the journey.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #144
Farmdog
Ten Point
 
Farmdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mercedes
Default

Yeah Tamaulipas is jacked up like Texas. Nuevo Leon has too many Aduanas. Coahuila is where its at nobody tryin to control me!
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #145
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Looks like we’re forecasted for rain end of next week praying for two days of HEAVY rain!
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #146
dc1986
Pope & Young
 
dc1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lumberton,Texas
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

My friends buck from this season. This deer just appeared in January. 179 4/8. Low fence, no protein. Close to Villa Union.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by dc1986; 03-20-2018 at 09:50 AM.
dc1986 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #147
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Great bucks. Congrats to all.
elgato is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #148
walker1983
Ten Point
 
walker1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Shackelford Co, Parker Co, Mexico
Default

Super deer. I like the mount as well.
walker1983 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #149
texas shag
Ten Point
 
texas shag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Argyle
Hunt In: East Texas, Old Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1986 View Post
My friends buck from this season. This deer just appeared in January. 179 4/8. Low fence, no protein.
great looking buck! congrats to your friend!
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #150
RanchoAB
Eight Point
 
RanchoAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Laredo, TX
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1986 View Post
My friends buck from this season. This deer just appeared in January. 179 4/8. Low fence, no protein. Close to Villa Union.


Stud!!! Congrats


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RanchoAB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com