Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #151
jer_james
Ten Point

That's awesome - Will be fun to follow.

Little guy has definitely developed. Starting the season at 9/10 in the lineup and being bumped to 3rd by the end of the season. When Coach called to tell me his first bump, I had no idea they were even keeping stats, and had not seen any, lol.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #152
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
That's awesome - Will be fun to follow.

Little guy has definitely developed. Starting the season at 9/10 in the lineup and being bumped to 3rd by the end of the season. When Coach called to tell me his first bump, I had no idea they were even keeping stats, and had not seen any, lol.
That's awesome man, I hope you guys put it together
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #153
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
I used to laugh at the parents bringing the little wagon type devices and being loaded down.

Then I went to a couple all day affairs and realized I needed one as well, lol.
I'm one of those guys.
It's invaluable. carry the soft yeti, chairs, canopy, fans/heater, assorted baseball gear.
keeps it all in one place between games too.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #154
Chad C
Pope & Young

Dude, the academy folding wagon is a must have!
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #155
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
yessir.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #156
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
I'm one of those guys.
It's invaluable. carry the soft yeti, chairs, canopy, fans/heater, assorted baseball gear.
keeps it all in one place between games too.
Also serves as an excellent little bunk bed for the daughter to lay in under a blanket and watch movies on the ipad...
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #157
tonyt79
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

Quote:

And for all day events, it holds a yeti 65 perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #158
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Haha - yessir. That's what we got. Camo to hold the pink yeti and folding chairs and canopy.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #159
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana

Before each approaching season, for perspective, I like to re-read
the BEST Coach to Parent letter ever penned IMO...

The Matheny Manifesto:

http://mikematheny.com/sites/default...yManifesto.pdf

Tons of wisdom for parents, coaches, and players in these words!

My son is a Freshman.....but tee-ball seems like yesterday! These years fly by my friends - make them good!
LukeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #160
systemnt
Pope & Young

yep.. read the book many times...
its been discussed on pretty much every youth baseball thread we've had...
very good stuff...
Old 01-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #161
Txprowler
Four Point

Hunt In: Centerville, Tx.

We went to Gulf Shores last year and got a house on the bay side. We had a long pier and the fishing was great. We saw dolphins every day.
Txprowler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #162
jer_james
Ten Point

Our team has mentioned staying in the same condos - Phoenix or something like that.

Would yall get a house separate if 4 or 5 other Families were staying in the same condos?

I want the house on the beach, and can find them for about the same price as a condo would cost.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #163
systemnt
Pope & Young

yeh thats what we're discussing.. I was just going to do it for ourselves but we're looking at getting a house and splitting it with a couple of the families...to help them out.
we're gonna be spending all day at the park with everyone on the team.. this is a vacation for the rest of the family too.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #164
jer_james
Ten Point

That's exactly what I was saying. Obviously we are there for the baseball, but with 6 of us going, I would like for all of us to enjoy a good vacation as well.

Better half mentioned staying at the condos during the games, and getting a house after it was all done, but I really dont want to hassle with moving stuff around while Im there.

Dont want to come off as a jerk.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #165
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Do yourself a favor and buy one of the rocking chairs. Best investment I’ve made for baseball
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #166
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Do yourself a favor and buy one of the rocking chairs. Best investment Iíve made for baseball
Got the ones with the shocks..... and I agree.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2XZKZ0...a-310226503679
Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #167
DKirk
Ten Point

Man y’all have some good stuff going on definitely makes me wish we would of started earlier. We are only 10u but there’s a a big difference in the ones who’ve been playing a couple years already and our kids. We are having a blast but you can tell we are way behind when we go to these tournaments. Wish there were as many options on the south side of Houston as it seems there are on the north side. Seems like the only tournaments that make are at BLD right now and that’s pretty expensive just to get some experience.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #168
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Don't know where we are headed just yet for World Series. We have been to Sulphur in 8U won that WS record 10-0, then went to San Marcus 9U won that World Series record 8-1 had a good run. Also been go Gulf Shores 11U that one was a good tournament, but not for us 5-2 and out. Played the Astros Festival last year at BLD it was fun, but we can play their anytime. Hoping for a good year new organization and a few new kids should be fun.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #169
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

I believe we are headed to Gulf Shores as well this year. Should be a great time
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #170
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

We did gulf shores last year with my 11 yo. Cool place, but we were there during a storm and the beach was closed until the last day. Lol. We played in gulf shores and Foley. If you do go be sure you get pins made for the team if you can. The boys exchanged pins with other teams and that was pretty neat watching them all interact. This year is Cooperstown. Not sure what to expect there, but it should be a great time. I'll have a 9yo playing for batters Box in Brenham and a 12 year old playing for Primetime baseball in Katy this spring. Let the spring chaos begin and good luck to all of the little ballers!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #171
jer_james
Ten Point

Sounds like a great time to be had ahead. Good luck to all yall.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #172
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt79 View Post
And for all day events, it holds a yeti 65 perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like it was made for it.
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #173
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
Our team has mentioned staying in the same condos - Phoenix or something like that.

Would yall get a house separate if 4 or 5 other Families were staying in the same condos?

I want the house on the beach, and can find them for about the same price as a condo would cost.
We stayed at Phoenix V last year. The main plus of condos is easy beach access and the pool. I would much rather have rented a house if there was a pool.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #174
jshouse
Pope & Young

1st practice for my older one today, coach already said the first few weeks will be a "spring training style" gut check, i'm looking forward to it
Old 01-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #175
jer_james
Ten Point

Good Luck

We start next Monday - Have been hitting the cages since last week.

Trying to get the little man to turn the hips and work on straight line instead of the dip.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #176
systemnt
Pope & Young

Spent the weekend in the cage with mine...at his demand... practiced his hitting, short fly drills, and fielding grounders...
Somethings clicked in his batting and he's now making it a game of trying to hit me ...at first it was funny... now im kinda skeered...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKicDk4O3T4
Old 01-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #177
jer_james
Ten Point

That's greatness - lotta fun
Old 01-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #178
jshouse
Pope & Young

ha, he hot a couple ropes! love the sound of the black magic, thats what our boys call it....

one of our coaches likes to look tough and not move when they hot one back at the net, last spring he was giving lessons and the ball went through the net and caught him in the eye, he wore some stitches for a while...
Old 01-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #179
systemnt
Pope & Young

yeh i did that once.. then i was in survival mode and questioning the skills of the guy that built the L-screen...
Old 01-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #180
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
ha, he hot a couple ropes! love the sound of the black magic, thats what our boys call it....

one of our coaches likes to look tough and not move when they hot one back at the net, last spring he was giving lessons and the ball went through the net and caught him in the eye, he wore some stitches for a while...
Quote:
yeh i did that once.. then i was in survival mode and questioning the skills of the guy that built the L-screen...
I look like a crack head when I throw BP to my boy! Lol. Crazy how fast the balls come off the bat. He just laughs and shakes his head. He's also good about warning me when my shoulder is sticking out from the net! I'll sure miss these days when they're gone!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #181
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

We have our first batting practice tonight with the new team he is on. So it begins.
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #182
jer_james
Ten Point

Looks like we got a hook up on a condo. Team will be about 10 mins away. We will be in Gulf Shores from June 16-24.

Really wishing we had an indoor facility that was not just cages to begin the season. Fielding/Outfield could get dicey in the first few games.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #183
Mike
Ten Point

I enjoy reading all these posts and thankful that my boys are now in High School ball, lol. We have been all over the place and they've been places we haven't travelled to, just sent them on as a fill in. All good times, at least most of them, lol.

For those doing the Gulf Shores deal, it's a good time and I like the format of separating the teams into brackets after pool play as there are some super stud teams in those events. Beware of the gate fees, lol. We had a few folks that were not prepared for the $50-$100 park passes for the week and it rubbed them the wrong way. But that's how they make their money.

If you're in it for the long haul, go ahead and invest in that wagon, lol, and get a tent, and those sweet chairs with the shocks that rock. It's all about the kids anyway, you might as well be comfortable, lol.

One more piece of advice, and this comes from me as a parent, coach and past VP of our local Pony organization. If there ever is a time that you need to confront a coach regarding your player(child), wait 24 hours after the occurrence. I have found that cooler heads will prevail and it will be better for all involved.

Good Luck to all the kids and teams, looking forward to some great photos and stories this spring.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #184
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
We did gulf shores last year with my 11 yo. Cool place, but we were there during a storm and the beach was closed until the last day. Lol. We played in gulf shores and Foley. If you do go be sure you get pins made for the team if you can. The boys exchanged pins with other teams and that was pretty neat watching them all interact. This year is Cooperstown. Not sure what to expect there, but it should be a great time. I'll have a 9yo playing for batters Box in Brenham and a 12 year old playing for Primetime baseball in Katy this spring. Let the spring chaos begin and good luck to all of the little ballers!
We are heading to Cooperstown as well July 20th and can't wait. We played 4 scrimmage games last weekend at Rothwood and the team looked good.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 03:42 AM   #185
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Looks like we got a hook up on a condo. Team will be about 10 mins away. We will be in Gulf Shores from June 16-24.

Really wishing we had an indoor facility that was not just cages to begin the season. Fielding/Outfield could get dicey in the first few games.
We'll be there the same time.
Got our pass packages bought yesterday... wifes making the decision on condo/house today..but looking like phoenix west or something..
Old 02-07-2018, 06:34 AM   #186
glen
Pope & Young

When my kid plays Summer this year Injust checked my schedule. I’ll be able to make 3 of the 7 tourneys. Looks like I can make U of H, BDU, and A&M. Wish he was younger and they played more local. Most events we will drop him off at airport and pick him up when he gets back. I miss the road trip vacation baseball. Keep this thread alive as it’s fun to keep up
Old 02-07-2018, 07:42 AM   #187
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
Got our pass packages bought yesterday... wifes making the decision on condo/house today..but looking like phoenix west or something..
Make sure you call to book and tell them youíre with USSSA tourney. Also ask for extended stay (week) discount. Seems like we got 20-25% off last year.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #188
systemnt
Pope & Young

Yessir..we got our discount codes
Old 02-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #189
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
When my kid plays Summer this year Injust checked my schedule. Iíll be able to make 3 of the 7 tourneys. Looks like I can make U of H, BDU, and A&M. Wish he was younger and they played more local. Most events we will drop him off at airport and pick him up when he gets back. I miss the road trip vacation baseball. Keep this thread alive as itís fun to keep up
Man that's tough to hear lol, I hate missing games.

Both of my boys have warm up tourneys on the 17-18th, I have to coach an 8am basketball game for my little one so I will be stuck with him all day that Saturday. Me and my wife will switch for Sunday.

My 10u is playing in a round robin put on by the CCBA A's, they get 3 games Saturday and 2 on Sunday, games are guaranteed either 6 innings or an hour and 50 mins. In theory it sounds much better than a regular tournament where you could be 3 games and done. We will see how it pans out.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #190
systemnt
Pope & Young

For those in the dallas/fw area that have kids that enjoy baseball.. i have 4 home plate tickets (sec113 row 9) for the entire frisco baseball classic with aggies, baylor, cal, and la tech on the march 2-4 at Dr Pepper ball park.
Includes a parking pass.
Tons to do with a fan zone, bbq, etc..
Tickets are good for ALL GAMES.
Selling them for what i paid..$340.
we cant go due to a qualifier tourney.
Pm me
Old 02-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #191
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Awesome - Team is staying in Surfside Shores. I think we are actually closer to the festivities being in Orange Beach.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #192
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
Man that's tough to hear lol, I hate missing games.

Both of my boys have warm up tourneys on the 17-18th, I have to coach an 8am basketball game for my little one so I will be stuck with him all day that Saturday. Me and my wife will switch for Sunday.

My 10u is playing in a round robin put on by the CCBA A's, they get 3 games Saturday and 2 on Sunday, games are guaranteed either 6 innings or an hour and 50 mins. In theory it sounds much better than a regular tournament where you could be 3 games and done. We will see how it pans out.
Have to agree - I already dread missing stuff when he's 10 due to making the rounds to see the Girls do their thing, lol.

Where is that round robin at? If you dont mind me asking.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #193
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Have to agree - I already dread missing stuff when he's 10 due to making the rounds to see the Girls do their thing, lol.

Where is that round robin at? If you dont mind me asking.
It's at the Kimble Carter complex in Bells, lol, not sure how it ended up out there or what the fields will be like. I don't believe it's sanctioned, just some teams getting together to play. Its labeled a "scrimmage tournament."

Should be some good games, CCBA, Eagles, Texarkana Rangers, a Hitmen team from east Texas and the Louisiana Empire.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #194
jer_james
Ten Point

First scrimmage is Wednesday against NTX Eagles AAA - Our roster is thin, but kiddo looks great in the field playing up the middle.

Wish we had 2 more. Would be nice if these sicknesses would go away as well.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #195
jshouse
Pope & Young

Good luck to you guys, I'm hoping the weather cooperates this weekend.

We have a few sick as well and half of my younger son's basketball team is sick right now.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #196
systemnt
Pope & Young

Our practice and scrimmage against the other 8U team was rained out.. teams going to indoor cages ...
got first tourney this weekend ..hopefully rain goes away by then..
Old 02-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #197
glen
Pope & Young

I hope you guys get to play this weekend but not looking good here Austin area. My kid was suppose to throw against Westlake tonight but just got an email about a cancelation. If they do get a chance to play you guys post up some pics- I enjoy seeing the little ones in action.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #198
jshouse
Pope & Young

now we have a 100% chance of rain till 10am on saturday...outlook not good

Last edited by jshouse; 02-14-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #199
systemnt
Pope & Young

Yeh.. we're being told we *may* have to play on Friday due to bbusa closing the half&half fields, and all tourney games are on the turf only fields.
I see some of the teams have jumped to a nations tourney at scrapyards..
Old 02-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #200
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yeh.. we're being told we *may* have to play on Friday due to bbusa closing the half&half fields, and all tourney games are on the turf only fields.
I see some of the teams have jumped to a nations tourney at scrapyards..
we are doing the select 30 in houston on march 10-11, i think its at BBUSA, i thought they were all turf, guess not, i am assuming we will be playing 7u. we are also doing a super NIT in beaumont on 4/21-22, again most likely 7u.