Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #1151
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Boys stunk it up as a team this morning. I think everyone kicked a ball somehow. My kid came in and could not buy a strike. Hope as a team they got it out of their ststem
Attached Images

glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #1152
glen
Pope & Young

Have no idea why the picture is sideways. Facility is nice. Not sure why the boys fell apart but hope they find themselves tomorrow
Old 07-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #1153
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Have no idea why the picture is sideways. Facility is nice. Not sure why the boys fell apart but hope they find themselves tomorrow
Age old question of baseball:
"how the heck can yall play badly all at the same time?? Ya'll have a meeting before the game?? Is it an empathy thing for your struggling teammate?? Knock it off! "
Lol
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #1154
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Lose an hour of sleep. Play early. Happens every year to our guys.....
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #1155
systemnt
Pope & Young

Wrong thread lol

Last edited by systemnt; 07-07-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #1156
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

We have the championship tomorrow at 1020, most likely will be the Nitro, it's a double elimination tourney so we just need to take care of business first thing and not worry about game 2.

Things got a little salty in the last game today, due to limited shade myself and another dad ended up on the other teams "side" and they didn't like it too much. They made a point to tell us after the game that we shouldn't have been over there, there were a lot of thumbs ups and yeah okays....

What they did is give me a dilemma.... if they make it to us tomorrow, which side do I choose...
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #1157
systemnt
Pope & Young

Thats just silly....and ridiculous..
Too stupid hot to be territorial at a kids ball game...
Old 07-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #1158
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
We have the championship tomorrow at 1020, most likely will be the Nitro, it's a double elimination tourney so we just need to take care of business first thing and not worry about game 2.

Things got a little salty in the last game today, due to limited shade myself and another dad ended up on the other teams "side" and they didn't like it too much. They made a point to tell us after the game that we shouldn't have been over there, there were a lot of thumbs ups and yeah okays....

What they did is give me a dilemma.... if they make it to us tomorrow, which side do I choose...

Good luck! Bring home the big trophy!

We ended up 6-2. Had a couple of brain farts today and it cost us. Boys did well and finished 5th.

Weíre headed to Beavers Bend tomorrow to spend the week kayaking, fishing, and relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #1159
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o View Post
Good luck! Bring home the big trophy!

We ended up 6-2. Had a couple of brain farts today and it cost us. Boys did well and finished 5th.

Weíre headed to Beavers Bend tomorrow to spend the week kayaking, fishing, and relaxing.

Sounds good sir, we all need a little relaxing this time of year

These short fences have worked in our favor big time, we have a minimum of 15 HR's in our 7 games so far between 4 kids, and the other teams make a point to.mention it loudly every time we hit one.

The games tomorrow are at big league dreams, the land of 300ft fences, so no doubt the game will change, should be fun.

I'll be with my 10u though as he kicks off his world series, this last week will be very telling for this team.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #1160
systemnt
Pope & Young

Man yall be racking up some miles this weekend..
Old 07-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #1161
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Well my son had a tryout Friday night with the Desperados and made the 10AAA team. He has another tryout Tuesday for the Dallas Nationals.
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #1162
systemnt
Pope & Young

Congrats.. which team is he wanting to be on? or is he pulling double duty?
Old 07-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #1163
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Congrats.. which team is he wanting to be on? or is he pulling double duty?
Well he has friends on both teams. He will not be playing on 2 teams. The team he was on just was not working out so needed to find something different.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #1164
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000tx View Post
Well he has friends on both teams. He will not be playing on 2 teams. The team he was on just was not working out so needed to find something different.
At some point you have to put the friendships to the side and pick what's best for your son. If there is better coaching then do what's best for him. I see a lot of kids on bad teams b/c of friends.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #1165
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
At some point you have to put the friendships to the side and pick what's best for your son. If there is better coaching then do what's best for him. I see a lot of kids on bad teams b/c of friends.
I agree with you on that. One of the coaches we really like and is also a private school baseball coach as well. It really has nothing to do with a couple of the boys we know on the team. There are 3 boys on that team that I coached for 4 seasons when I was coaching. Good kids and good families that we have stayed in contact with
Old 07-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #1166
jshouse
Pope & Young

Well the 7s couldn't pull it out, Nitro took 2 from us today to win the championship. The boys just came out flat and Nitro was ready to go.

After The game Logan said he was ready for a break from baseball, and I'm glad. Never thought we would want to completely take the fall off but we are all on board. It's football time.

Now if I can talk Brock into it... They went 1-1 today, the pitchers had some trouble in game 2. I will he watching game 3 on game changer in the morning.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #1167
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Well the 7s couldn't pull it out, Nitro took 2 from us today to win the championship. The boys just came out flat and Nitro was ready to go.

After The game Logan said he was ready for a break from baseball, and I'm glad. Never thought we would want to completely take the fall off but we are all on board. It's football time.

Now if I can talk Brock into it... They went 1-1 today, the pitchers had some trouble in game 2. I will he watching game 3 on game changer in the morning.
We never took the fall off until last year and I'm glad we did. Played 5 years without a break and I could see him starting to get the burnout. Took the fall off and he was ready to get back to playing and his arm was live and well. Congrats on getting to the championship nothing wrong with losing to good teams.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #1168
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:

Good Luck this morning !

We aren't taking the Fall off, but we are adding some 7v7 - We may be making a jump up, and adding a few players. Will see how it all works out.

Thinking about slowing down the baseball stuff and getting back to just speed and agility type things to have some fun with. Kiddo did that the most when he was sport hopping every different season. Football led to soccer and then baseball and then basketball in the Summer.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #1169
glen
Pope & Young

Most of you guys have young kids. Under 13 or so. I’d let your kid be a kid. Plenty will change and lots of time for baseball. About freshman in HS they start going year around. We had 2 that quit Senior year last year because they had hit their limit
Old 07-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #1170
jshouse
Pope & Young

yeah we are up in the air with my 10yo right now, hes playing football and i would like to see him sit baseball out.

he had the go ahead rbi single in the top of the 6th today and we held on to win 6-4. 2-1 in pool so far with a "crossover" game tomorrow to see which bracket will will be in. the AAYBA format is new to all of us so it will be interesting to see how it works out.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #1171
jshouse
Pope & Young

Brock #84 and his best bud Colton this morning.

Then my #22 Logan...

gonna miss these days...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #1172
jer_james
Pope & Young

Keep it going !

With all the complaining about USSSA, I have no idea how they last. I've never seen the AAYBA format.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #1173
glen
Pope & Young

Well we are 2-2-1 here at PG Atlanta so far. Tied a game we should have won. Lost a game we should not have. Got throttled by a team that outmatched us. My kid is on the bump tomorrow at the Lake Point facility. Say a prayer for calm nerves as it’s a big stage and a lot of pressure for a kid. I’ll take pictures tomorrow and post up. If you guys ever want to see talent at 15-16-17 years old make it out here. I would not come with the idea of winning but just to play good baseball
Old 07-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #1174
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Keep it going !

With all the complaining about USSSA, I have no idea how they last. I've never seen the AAYBA format.
I agree about the USSSA here in Houston, but one guy is the only problem. Since I'm going to Balk Parks Of America next year I will not play one USSSA tournament. I was lied to and it almost cost me a couple kids during my World Series and they already paid a lot of money to play. Plus there crazy brackets this year that make no since I'm done. I will say they do run a good World Series out side of all the BS!
Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #1175
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Keep it going !

Yeah it's strange, you play 3 pool games, then get seeded somehow by your pool record and your class, AA/AAA/Majors, not sure how they do it really. But they seed you for a "crossover game" and the winner of that game goes to a higher bracket and the loser goes to a lower bracket.

There are 5 brackets that will start after the crossover game, platinum, diamond, gold, silver and bronze.

It's as clear as mud as to how it all works
Old 07-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #1176
jer_james
Pope & Young

Good luck to those still going strong !

We are starting workouts the last week in July - Tryouts the first week in August.

We lost 2 and picked up 2 on the roster of 10. Coach says we may pick up 1 at tryouts if they are a stud. Last year we played one Fall tournament and bumped to AAA for all of Fall and Spring. Looks like the same could happen again to Majors. I don't know how competitive we will be, but it seems very cool to see development as a team, and a good core of kids getting better together.

We have 5 kids from the baseball team playing football 7v7 together in the Fall. Winter, they are supposed to do some basketball. I'm liking the set up.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #1177
jshouse
Pope & Young

Glad to hear it's working out for you guys man

What are yalls thoughts one these two statements....

Kid---Coach told me not to use my new bat because the barrel is too small.

Dad---too small? It's 2 3/4" just like all the other ones.

Kid-- no, he said the handle is too long and thin and the barrel is too short.

The bat in question is a brand new demirini voodoo, 30/20, 2 3/4"

Also, kid-- Coach told me not to hit heavy balls before the game any more because it makes me want to pull the ball all the time.

Dad---What. The. .....

Asking for a friend...
Old 07-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #1178
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Glad to hear it's working out for you guys man

What are yalls thoughts one these two statements....

Kid---Coach told me not to use my new bat because the barrel is too small.

Dad---too small? It's 2 3/4" just like all the other ones.

Kid-- no, he said the handle is too long and thin and the barrel is too short.

The bat in question is a brand new demirini voodoo, 30/20, 2 3/4"

Also, kid-- Coach told me not to hit heavy balls before the game any more because it makes me want to pull the ball all the time.

Dad---What. The. .....

Asking for a friend...
Wouldnt be on the team without ya ! lol. Never would have found that facebook group on my own with no experience searching for that kind of thing.

I wouldn't want any Coach commenting on any equipment. That's just me. That could get into a kid's head, and then that's good money down the drain. If the Coach feels a certain way, he should approach the Parent. That's my opinion anyways.

I am still new to the technical stuff, but weighted balls make you pull more? Have you heard that before? I have not, and again something you shouldn't put into a kid's head in my opinion. Less thinking, more correct reps.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #1179
systemnt
Pope & Young

Why is your kids soccer coach telling him what to do at baseball?
Old 07-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #1180
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Wouldnt be on the team without ya ! lol. Never would have found that facebook group on my own with no experience searching for that kind of thing.

I wouldn't want any Coach commenting on any equipment. That's just me. That could get into a kid's head, and then that's good money down the drain. If the Coach feels a certain way, he should approach the Parent. That's my opinion anyways.

I am still new to the technical stuff, but weighted balls make you pull more? Have you heard that before? I have not, and again something you shouldn't put into a kid's head in my opinion. Less thinking, more correct reps.

so i guess i should believe that demarini made their bat to the the wrong specs? c'mon man. its the 2-piece alloy equivalent of the ZEN that everyone loves. i was shocked to hear thats what he said.

and no, i have never heard anyone say anything bad about the heavy balls. its been a thing me and Brock have done before all his games since 7u, when we could, i will throw him about 10 with his wood bat then about 10-12 with his game bat. yesterday he says, "dad coach said i cant hit heavy balls anymore before the game because they make me try to pull the ball."

are you serious right now? our end of season "interview/eval" is going to be real interesting next week if we feel the need to go
Old 07-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #1181
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Why is your kids soccer coach telling him what to do at baseball?
haha man...i told the other dads and they couldnt believe it.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #1182
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
haha man...i told the other dads and they couldnt believe it.
Tell him to tell the coach ďMy Dad says youíre buying me a new batĒ.
ShockValue is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #1183
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:

Asking for a friend...
Hahaha!!!! Too much time on NTBVTW.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #1184
glen
Pope & Young

My kid came in tied game in 7th. Faced 3 batters and just came in and threw heat. He said he walked up to catcher after throwing 2 strikes and said hold 1 finger down cause that’s all I’m throwing. He blew it past all 3 kids he faced. I would rather see him actually pitch but today he just came downhill and chunked the ball. He hit 88 and change today off the bump as a 15 year old. We are at Braves game right now. I’ll put a few pics up tonight
Old 07-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #1185
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockValue View Post
Hahaha!!!! Too much time on NTBVTW.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #1186
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
My kid came in tied game in 7th. Faced 3 batters and just came in and threw heat. He said he walked up to catcher after throwing 2 strikes and said hold 1 finger down cause thatís all Iím throwing. He blew it past all 3 kids he faced. I would rather see him actually pitch but today he just came downhill and chunked the ball. He hit 88 and change today off the bump as a 15 year old. We are at Braves game right now. Iíll put a few pics up tonight
F'n A, love it
Old 07-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #1187
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
My kid came in tied game in 7th. Faced 3 batters and just came in and threw heat. He said he walked up to catcher after throwing 2 strikes and said hold 1 finger down cause thatís all Iím throwing. He blew it past all 3 kids he faced. I would rather see him actually pitch but today he just came downhill and chunked the ball. He hit 88 and change today off the bump as a 15 year old. We are at Braves game right now. Iíll put a few pics up tonight

Sometimes, the best answer is to just step on the gas and KNOW they can't catch up.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #1188
systemnt
Pope & Young

Thats awesome.. love it when they get a little angst mixed with a side of confidence.

We had our first open 9u workout.. couple new kids.
It was freaking hot.. tan got a little overheated on fielding drills but after a little gatorade went back to work..had to make him sit down..
Bunch of boys draggin till the cage work started..
Coaches takin it easy on em

All this rain weve had made the fields like a freaking sauna .
Old 07-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #1189
glen
Pope & Young

We will play one more game tomorrow. Team will not win bracket. We lost 1, won 2, tied 3. Not gonna get to play Thursday and Friday with 3 tied ballgames. If you guys are still in baseball when your kids are in High school I would look for a team that comes to PG in Atlanta and also play Indy. Itís been a grind but think he got done what he needed to go. He may throw another 30 pitches tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2018, 11:56 PM   #1190
ShockValue
Pope & Young

New 1st base leather arrived today! The boy is in charge of breaking this one in.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #1191
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
We will play one more game tomorrow. Team will not win bracket. We lost 1, won 2, tied 3. Not gonna get to play Thursday and Friday with 3 tied ballgames. If you guys are still in baseball when your kids are in High school I would look for a team that comes to PG in Atlanta and also play Indy. Itís been a grind but think he got done what he needed to go. He may throw another 30 pitches tomorrow.
good stuff man good luck to you guys today
Old 07-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #1192
glen
Pope & Young

Well they lost today to one of the top 10 teams here 8-5. Kid repeated yesterday. Threw last inning all gas and faced 3 batters
Old 07-12-2018, 06:32 AM   #1193
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well they lost today to one of the top 10 teams here 8-5. Kid repeated yesterday. Threw last inning all gas and faced 3 batters
Omce they get to high school, how many tournaments will he play during the summer?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #1194
glen
Pope & Young

JHouse it really depends on the organization and their purpose. We are doing 7-8 plus a camp at beginning and end where he invites college coaches in the “help”. It is set up different. Lineups may change based on who has been in contact with coach. We do not have enough pitching to go deep in these events. Some teams in Atlanta showed up with 24 on team and 10-12 pitcher only players. I think we had 14 and 3 pitcher only kids. It is very different once you go to a showcase type format. I saw a kid there that was pitching great on another team- and he was pulled to watch a kid come in 4th inning and throw one inning. Kid looked great. Then second baseman came in that just put balls over plate. Team went from winning to loosing by 5 in a hurry. It was obvious that someone showed up to watch that kid throw an inning.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #1195
systemnt
Pope & Young

coworkers kid is doing the showcase stuff tourneys right now...and he says it has very little to do with actually winning or losing... theres not even a declared 'tourney' winner at the end..
all about getting the kids in front of other coaches/colleges/pro scouts and getting the kids in the books.
weird things happen to baseball during highschool...
Old 07-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #1196
glen
Pope & Young

System you are spot on. The hardest thing for some parents is to not hurt their own kids. Saw a Dad that was in stands griping balls/strikes. Nothing too over the top. Kid had above average velo and very effective. Second time Dad opened his trap three scouts closed notebooks, pack radar back in bags, walked to another field.
I sit in stands and watch. If they have any interest in my kid they gotta ask around to know I’m the parent
Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #1197
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana

Quote:
coworkers kid is doing the showcase stuff tourneys right now...and he says it has very little to do with actually winning or losing... theres not even a declared 'tourney' winner at the end..
all about getting the kids in front of other coaches/colleges/pro scouts and getting the kids in the books.
weird things happen to baseball during highschool...
This is our first summer and that's about right.

Some tourneys give you an allotment of games and that's it.

Other tourneys actually do have a championship bracket...but only the teams that win their pool make it. For that reason if you want more exposure it's better to be on a good team.

This weekend for example, we play a College Station Tourney. IF we win our pool then we get to play at the Aggie's home field at Texas A&M....if not we get 2 more consolation games at a complex in Tomball.
LukeDuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #1198
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDuke View Post
This is our first summer and that's about right.

Some tourneys give you an allotment of games and that's it.

Other tourneys actually do have a championship bracket...but only the teams that win their pool make it. For that reason if you want more exposure it's better to be on a good team.

This weekend for example, we play a College Station Tourney. IF we win our pool then we get to play at the Aggie's home field at Texas A&M....if not we get 2 more consolation games at a complex in Tomball.
yeh...thats exactly the style tournament his son is playing in georgia today through next week...guaranteed like 8 games...but dont move up in the tourney unless they win their pool..
Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #1199
glen
Pope & Young

I think most are set up that way. Perfecr Game, V Tool, Bullpen - if your kid is a position player get him on a team with at least 1 powerhouse pitcher. Scouts will be there and other players will catch the scouts eyes. We played a Championship game this Summer with no scouts there. It was on a Sunday and I’m sure they were with family.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #1200
systemnt
Pope & Young

think the tourney hes in is perfect game