Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort
Default Select Baseball 2018

Well with spring tryouts in full swing thought I would just start another select baseball thread. I will be moving to a new organization this spring, and coaching the 12U Crew team at SSK1 baseball academy. Our tryouts will be Jan 6th at the Scrapyard in the Woodlands.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
Chase This!
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 74-72

Good luck! I've enjoyed watching these threads.
Chase This! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Good luck Grant- my kid is changing organizations during Summer and actually going to interview staff next week about Summer. I'm gonna miss watching baseball when it happens and his baseball playing days are done
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

My son is also on a new team for the spring. Should be a great time with new opportunities
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
Well with spring tryouts in full swing thought I would just start another select baseball thread. I will be moving to a new organization this spring, and coaching the 12U Crew team at SSK1 baseball academy. Our tryouts will be Jan 6th at the Scrapyard in the Woodlands.
Thanks for starting a new thread! Sure enjoyed the last thread. SSK1 sure seems to have a great program. My boy played with a few kids from that 12u group when they were 9. Great kids, players, and families!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
DKirk
Ten Point

I followed the last one but didn’t contribute, we are just getting started in 10u and the whole team is new to select. I’m am coaching the team for now and really excited to see how they develop.
DKirk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #7
glen
Pope & Young

AKirk- Get ready and bless you. I hate parents. Soon do yourself a favor and find a team with coach without a player. Cuts down on the crazy mom stuff
Old 12-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
glen
Pope & Young

Goto YouTube. Look up crazy baseball mom
Old 12-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

My older son is about to start his last season of "youth" ball, 14U, then next year will be high school tryouts and summer/showcase ball. He is a pitcher/1B/Power bat. I am worried about high school tryouts but his current coach is telling me that pitching velocity alone will get him on the high school team. Would love to hear from some that have been there and done that with high school tryouts. What does freshman pitching look like? Is velocity that important to high school coaches? He has enough command to be effective (most of the time). Can a kid make the team with one tool, say a big bat or a big arm? We are talking 6A high school with a decent program.
TXJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
glen
Pope & Young

TxJim- my kid goes to a baseball school and is a one trick pony. RHP. He made it with a wild arm as a freshman. He just turned 15 and will be fine through HS. They look at up side on incoming freshman class. If he has a live arm he will be fine. My kid doesn't even have a bat anymore or play a position
Old 12-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
Triple 7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches

My son is a freshman this year. He will play on Varsity as a catcher and pitcher. Not at a 6A school but a big 3A. From being a high school coach in the past, I can tell you that your son needs to be as flexible as possible. They always need pitching but if he can play multiple spots, he will be more valuable.

His summer team is with Dbat. My two younger boys play on local Nacogdoches tournament teams that I coach or help coach. My advice to anyone getting into tournament ball is to try not to get to wrapped up in it. Give the kids time off in the fall and winter. When they get older it’s real easy to burn them out.

Last edited by Triple 7; 12-08-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Triple 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #12
TXJIM
Ten Point

I wouldn't say he is flexible in the sense that he can play multiple positions. He is a big kid that throws hard and hits the ball a long way. He is very servicable at 1st base but defense is his weakest point. I am curious what a "live arm" would be for a freshman. What kind of velocity are you seeing at that level?
Old 12-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #13
Triple 7
Ten Point

If he can throw mid to high 70’s he would be considered good. Anything higher would be real good.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #14
Triple 7
Ten Point

I saw a kid get a college scholarship after walking 3 batters and hitting two more. The scouts were buzzing because he could throw 98. They can coach mechanics but can’t coach velocity in most cases
Old 12-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #15
TXJIM
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple 7 View Post
If he can throw mid to high 70s he would be considered good. Anything higher would be real good.
Thanks, that is the kind of info I was looking for
Old 12-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #16
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Friday night in the off season.

Seriously...he was off all Fall and played football. Playing basketball now and just doing some fielding work before practices start next year.

12U and going to Cooperstown All Star Village in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #17
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJIM View Post
Lets see some videos of those boys swings!

TXJims boys can rake! I just wish he would buy them a new bat.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #18
TXJIM
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockValue View Post
Lets see some videos of those boys swings!

TXJims boys can rake! I just wish he would buy them a new bat.
My name is TXJIM and it has been 1 week since I bought a new bat
Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJIM View Post
Adam Dunn can hit a baseball a mile, but has no defense. He made over a 100 million in baseball LOL!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #20
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
Thanks for starting a new thread! Sure enjoyed the last thread. SSK1 sure seems to have a great program. My boy played with a few kids from that 12u group when they were 9. Great kids, players, and families!
Yes sir. SSK1 is growing fast and that's why I decided to move this year. Scott Stricklin former MLB Astros pitcher started the program and its been getting a lot of attention. I'm really looking forward to get playing,and start spring ball. I'm bringing over some really good kids and my son is excited as well. We will still be looking for 2-3 players that can play at the elite/premier level. This is a pretty good group I'm just ready to start practicing LOL! My son has been off all of fall ball and now he is get the itch to start. His arm is live after resting for 4 months and his velocity has gone up.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #21
BobbyOrtiz
Six Point

Hunt In: Mullin

so we had tryouts today for the new team. Our organization was bought out by Evo Shield Canes. This is going to be expensive with 2 boys playing. Previously we had been playing and the cost was relatively low. This is going to be like $700 a month for both boys. I'm not sure that this is something I want to commit to for an 9 and 12 year old. What are yalls dues for your teams?
BobbyOrtiz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #22
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyOrtiz View Post
so we had tryouts today for the new team. Our organization was bought out by Evo Shield Canes. This is going to be expensive with 2 boys playing. Previously we had been playing and the cost was relatively low. This is going to be like $700 a month for both boys. I'm not sure that this is something I want to commit to for an 9 and 12 year old. What are yalls dues for your teams?
Is $700 a month include everything? Coaches Fees,Practice and Tournaments?
Old 12-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #23
Grant2
Ten Point

There are a lot cheaper clubs out there you just have to look. I don't think I would pay $350 a month for any kid to play, our dues are $125 plus tournaments which would come out to be $225-250 a month for everything.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #24
Triple 7
Ten Point

I don’t really see the point in playing for a club team until you need their connections for getting them college looks. Go get a group of boys and coach them yourself. These so called professional coaches are just not worth the cost in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #25
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

My sons 11u team played their final fall tournament last weekend. We have a standing rule at our house. You hit a home run, we go eat steak. Well, he hit a 3 run homer to straight away center and when he came off the field he said, dad, heres my ticket to Saltgrass!

salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #26
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o View Post
My sons 11u team played their final fall tournament last weekend. We have a standing rule at our house. You hit a home run, we go eat steak. Well, he hit a 3 run homer to straight away center and when he came off the field he said, dad, heres my ticket to Saltgrass!

Awesome
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #27
BobbyOrtiz
Six Point

Quote:
Is $700 a month include everything? Coaches Fees,Practice and Tournaments?
Ya that includes everything - uniforms
Old 12-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #28
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Ya that includes everything - uniforms
There are cheaper places to go. Look on Nations tryout page and go to different tryouts. Is this the club that's out in Beaumont?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #29
KevBow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

What Bat do y’all have for your 12 year old? Length and weight also?
KevBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #30
TXJIM
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBow View Post
What Bat do yall have for your 12 year old? Length and weight also?
My 11 year old plays 12U and he is swinging the Marucci Cat 7 drop 8 (31/23) for his cold weather bat and he will be swinging a Demarini CF8 drop 8 (31/23) when it gets warm enough for the composite barrel. It depend a lot on the kid's size and swing mechanics.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #31
Grant2
Ten Point

Marucci drop 8 30/21
Old 12-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #32
BobbyOrtiz
Six Point

We are out of North Austin area. Leander to be exact. I’m not sure what we are going to do yet. We have been a majors team since 10u and able to win the majority of the tournaments we entered. When this merger happened many of the kids left and went to THZ. We will see, there are many good kids left but this whole price thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Answer to the bat question. My 9 year old swings a 30”-8 cat7 and my 12u swings a Louisville 917. Both great bats
Old 12-09-2017, 11:46 PM   #33
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBow View Post
What Bat do yall have for your 12 year old? Length and weight also?
Cat 7 30 -8.

Hes 5 2 and 105lbs and could handle a 31 but he likes this one and the bat speed for now.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:04 AM   #34
KevBow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Thanks for the bat info. I’m going to be getting my nephew a new bat for Christmas
KevBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #35
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
We are out of North Austin area. Leander to be exact. Im not sure what we are going to do yet. We have been a majors team since 10u and able to win the majority of the tournaments we entered. When this merger happened many of the kids left and went to THZ. We will see, there are many good kids left but this whole price thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Answer to the bat question. My 9 year old swings a 30-8 cat7 and my 12u swings a Louisville 917. Both great bats
I would say for that kinda of money the coaches better be top notch! After 35+ years of playing and coaching, I have yet to see any select coaching that's worth what they charge. I have said this in the last thread be very careful and don't get caught up in the "Pro" coach half are not what they say. Just b/c they played Pro ball does not mean they know how to coach kids.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #36
BobbyOrtiz
Six Point

Ya I agree.. most are very undependable, unreliable, and self serving. I was telling my wife there is a reason these guys have chosen this profession when she gets frustrated by lack of communications. I have to laugh at emails I receive with so many misspellings and lack of punctuation. I have not been real impressed so far. Usually if you have a good group of parents that let whoever is coaching coach, the kids will succeed. This all gets F’ed up with parents who thinks Johnny should be a starting SS and the kid is afraid of the ball.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #37
Grant2
Ten Point

I always laugh when a "Pro Coach" that's 25 says how good the kids will be under him and talks about his career in the majors. I always think unless injured why are you coaching select ball and not still playing in MLB at 25 year old? There are a ton of older players that just won't give it up that are not very good at coaching. I will say they know the game just bad at coaching, but very good at lessons. The biggest problem in select ball is the parents most of the time. When things are good everyone is happy, but when losing they start talking among themselves and things go bad in a hurry.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #38
Howard
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carta Valley

I have two kids playing now....its been just my daughter last couple years but my son is playing also. He is 16 and probably last year on this team...He took a break during football season and now started back...first day back hit a dinger dead center field out of park...Kid loves baseball so much he almost didn't play football but small school needed their offensive left tackle. He watches video constantly, purchased his own stuff, tools, workout stuff, etc... wants to play baseball! He is 6'2, 228 and been pitching and playing 3rd....occasionally first after pitching tournament weekend...

My daughter is a serious little baller as well. She is 13 and loves playing.....she does well! We went to a Mississippi tournament last year with her team.
Attached Images

Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #39
glen
Pope & Young

Bobby. If I was living there I would check out SWE. Southwest Elite - we live a little far away.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #40
TXJIM
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Bobby. If I was living there I would check out SWE. Southwest Elite - we live a little far away.
SWE is now EvoShield Canes Southwest. They affiliated with the Canes about the same time they acquired Aces Baseball.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #41
Grant2
Ten Point

Sounds like Evoshield is taking over the area?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #42
rockyraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out West

Quote:
Ya I agree.. most are very undependable, unreliable, and self serving. I was telling my wife there is a reason these guys have chosen this profession when she gets frustrated by lack of communications. I have to laugh at emails I receive with so many misspellings and lack of punctuation. I have not been real impressed so far. Usually if you have a good group of parents that let whoever is coaching coach, the kids will succeed. This all gets F’ed up with parents who thinks Johnny should be a starting SS and the kid is afraid of the ball.
Bobby, if you don't mind me asking, what club were you guys with prior to this season? You can PM me if you would prefer. I won't be offended if you don't want to share. The only reason I ask is that I have a 13yo 8th grader who plays for Action. He played last fall, last spring, sat out this fall and only played football, now headed back to them this spring. I personally think they are a good club, I really like the guys who run things and I feel they have the kids best interest at heart. They also have a solid high school/showcase program which I personally feel is a big plus if you have kids that will be interested in those things.

We started out in rec. ball in Round Rock. Another guy and myself decided to take our all star team from our last season of 10u and play some select tournaments that next fall just to see what it was all about. I ended up helping coach two years in the select world and finally bowed out and decided to get my son in a program that he can continue with into high school if he chooses. We've played most of the teams in the central Texas area at one point or another. We've also had several of our former players go over to many of these teams. At the end of the day, typically the new wears off and the parents realize that its all just kids playing baseball, any way you slice it up. There typically isn't anything magical that happens with any of these programs other than your wallet gets much lighter.

Over the years, our experience has been mostly positive, although we've seen it all at one time or another. Thank goodness that we've typically always had a good group of parents with every team that we have been with. We only had one fall where we had a not so great group of parents. In all honesty it was just a hand full of parents who were the problem but it only takes a few. Thank goodness I was out of coaching by then and it was the clubs problem to have to deal with. Its sorta funny really, the club we were with took in a group of kids from a well known yet somewhat controversial program that had shut down their Austin club. The name starts with a "B" and ends with an "S". I'll just leave it at that since those of you who have been around select baseball for a while should know who I'm talking about. These parents were terrible. I'm convinced that several of these kids will be lucky to make it through high school baseball with their parents overbearing ways. Its a shame really, we had a good group of kids and they were really talented as a whole. We were probably one of the best 12u teams that fall in the Austin area. The parent's were the problem at the end of the day which is unfortunate.

One thing I've noticed with the dozens of kids who I've coached and known for years now is how many of them hop from club to club, some of them from fall to spring to fall to spring. Its crazy to me. Funny thing is, they never find what they are looking for. Here's a news flash, no club is gonna make your kid a superstar when they are average or below average players. Get them with a program that you believe in and get out of the way. Too many parents worry about gloves, bats, private lessons, what some prospective club promises, etc.... Here's the deal, kids are going to progress based on two things, hard work and dedication and God given talent. I know plenty of kids who's parents fork out big bucks for baseball and they play year round. Their kids are still below average players. I know every parent wants the best for their kids, but at some point you have to just step back and let things take their natural course.

My son is eaten up with baseball. I constantly have to tell him, relax, your 13, you'll be fine. Work hard and if God has it in his plan for you to become a college or pro player, it'll happen. In the mean time, enjoy life, work hard, love the game, and HAVE FUN.

Good luck everyone this spring.

Last edited by rockyraider; 12-10-2017 at 08:36 PM.
rockyraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #43
TXJIM
Ten Point

Quote:
Sounds like Evoshield is taking over the area?
No, Southwest Elite was already in the process of acquiring Aces before affiliating with EvoShield Canes.

There has been a bit of change/consolidation over the past 6 months in the area. Central Texas has been a watered down market which effects the high school level the most. A lot of the consolidation is aimed at making the high school programs more competitive at the regional and national level. The youth programs that are part of these organizations are just tagging along.

Austin Elite, Clutch Athletics and Colts all merged into Lone Star Baseball Club with the stated purpose of being more competitive at the high school level. The youth programs will all fly under the Lone Star flag but continue to operate separately. It's about taking the best few kids from each of these formerly separate programs to the WWBA and other big tourneys and being in a position to compete. It also allows them to combine their recruiting and college placement efforts.

Texas Fire merged into Wings

Southwest Elite became an affiliate with EvoShield Canes and acquired Aces and their field.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #44
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

In
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #45
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

For the first time I am going to step aside from coaching and let my son and few boys from my team go play we’re they can get a different experience. 13U Majors. Not sure of what team yet but they played with Ennis Outlaws this last fall.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #46
Full Throttle
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
For the first time I am going to step aside from coaching and let my son and few boys from my team go play were they can get a different experience. 13U Majors. Not sure of what team yet but they played with Ennis Outlaws this last fall.

Im in the same boat. I coached my 21 year old who played college ball til he was 12, my junior 17 year old at FM Marcus high school until he was 12 and my soon to be 13 year old till last year. Hes moving on and playing for 2 good friends of mine coaching a new 13U DBAT team. This will be the first season in 15 years not being on the ball field. Spring is not even here and I miss it already.
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #47
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
Im in the same boat. I coached my 21 year old who played college ball til he was 12, my junior 17 year old at FM Marcus high school until he was 12 and my soon to be 13 year old till last year. Hes moving on and playing for 2 good friends of mine coaching a new 13U DBAT team. This will be the first season in 15 years not being on the ball field. Spring is not even here and I miss it already.
Did you coach a 12U Rattlers team?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #48
Full Throttle
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockValue View Post
Did you coach a 12U Rattlers team?

No. I was an assistant with the Texas Desperados 9-12 this last go round. I know the guys that did though. Their top team (Hunt) is now dbat too out of Lewisville. Kyle Abbot and Dan Ortmeir are coaching them. Both good coaches and friends as well.

We are Dbat Tompkins-Harp.

Last edited by Full Throttle; 12-11-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #49
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
No. I was an assistant with the Texas Desperados 9-12 this last go round. I know the guys that did though. Their top team (Hunt) is now dbat too out of Lewisville.
Gotcha. Rattlers seem to be losing a bunch of teams for one reason or another. They lost another team to Stix and our old team 11U Majors disbanded. Its a shame because we have some of the best fields in DFW.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #50
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

The boys team just finished up a tourney.. came in 3rd but didnt have their best outings last two games.. last game played an elite team that any normal day they would have beat.
That's baseball.

Real excited for Spring though..these boys play well together.

No more Tourneys till mid/end of January.. lotsa workouts though..

I might have some equipment to sell.. refreshing all his gear due to this growing thing that appears to be happening..
Some used catchers gear, a bat or 2, etc..

I'll post it here before the classifieds.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top