Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #1
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Burnet Co.
Default Anybody shot the new ELD-X at a critter yet?

I'm currently having a rifle built in 6.5mm-300WSM and need to choose a bullet for it. I'm leaning towards the 143gr ELD-X or Berger 140gr VLD. The Begers are a known value, but I've never shoot then other than some Classic Hunters in a .243, they were hard to load for, because all the groups from the starting load to max load were outstanding. I've heard the VLD's aren't quite as easy because they are sensitive to overall length, whereas the Classic Hunters aren't because the are a hybrid design. The ELD-X are similar to a hunting version of the AMAX which I have a ton of experience with, and they load great and are really easy to work with.

What experiences have you guys had with the ELD-X?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
txfireguy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Not yet, but I plan to this season in my 6.5 Creedmoor. They are new enough that I don't think many have had the chance to use them on game, but the ballistic testing is impressive.

FWIW I know many have had success with the Bergers, but I would trust Hornady to make a hunting bullet that performs well over them, due to their background.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

I've got some of them to use in the .264 Win Mag I'm having built by APR.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
db@100
Eight Point

About 4:30 this evening a friend called me from Wyoming. He has just finished a elk hunt using a 6.5 Creed. with the 143 ELDX, factory loads. He said the first shot was right behind the shoulder. The bullet hit one rib and exploded. The elk turned around in a circle and he shot again hitting about 1" from the first hole. Neither bullet held together. He said pieces of them were all through the chest and nothing came close to an exit. The elk was about 165 yards. I thought the ELDX was suppose to stay together.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
Not yet, but I plan to this season in my 6.5 Creedmoor. They are new enough that I don't think many have had the chance to use them on game, but the ballistic testing is impressive.

FWIW I know many have had success with the Bergers, but I would trust Hornady to make a hunting bullet that performs well over them, due to their background.
No arguments there. I've seen lots of advertising and product videos, like the one they did with the guys from Gunwerks/Best of the West. I'm just not sure about them, you know, since Hornady had the best marketing team in the industry. I like to hear real world amounts when available.

I also trust Hornady's bullet manufacturing a lot. I don't doubt Berger either, but they design bullets to break up and dump energy, which makes sense to me, but I also like blood trails when they don't fall on the spot. I prefer heart/lung shots over the shoulder shot due to meat damage, so occasionally they don't drop on the spot.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Not yet Luke. I have some loaded up for my 6.5-284, 260 and 6.5 Grendel. I hope to find out this season.

I'm not liking the report above though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #7
db@100
Eight Point

Yep, I just talked to him again. He said he will not use them on another elk. Next week he will be on the Mescalero with his girlfriend but she won't be shooting those loads for sure. He was shooting the Hornady Precision Hunter I think. They shot real good on paper.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #8
txmuleyman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Alpine,Ft.Davis,Nebraska

Still working up loads on 220&212gr for my 300 rum. Will pop a few hogs before heading out for elk. I've shot the VLD's now and can say that past 500yds the ELD x will out shoot them. If they stay together even a touch better than the VLD I'll shoot them. Even fragmenting the VLD has dropped and elk, deer, pronghorn, and many hogs. Still have my hopes up for the ELD to stay together.
txmuleyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
db@100
Eight Point

I'm just passing on what I have been told. They may work fine for you, but they didn't do what he or I expected.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #10
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

That's not encouraging at all! Of course, I'm not planning to sling them at elk, not yet anyway. Wondering if maybe the 6.5mm version isn't quite up to the heavy hide and bone?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #11
Mike D
Pope & Young

Just picked these up over the weekend.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #12
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

That's a bummer to hear about his experience with the elk. According to Hornady's site, around 2600 fps they are supposed to perform like a Partition. The front portion fragments and creates shrapnel, while the rear half stays together and penetrates deeply.

As they slow down to as low as 1800 fps, they are supposed to stay almost completely together and mushroom instead.

I could see the bullet "splashing" off a rib if it were driven to insane speeds like the 3,500 fps from a 6.5-300 WBY, but he should have been shooting within their designed specs.p

Perhaps I've underestimated the Bergers, but my impression was that they were primarily a target/competition company who developed a lot of the high BC bullets. As long range hunting became popular, people were using the match bullets on game, so they just added a hollow point to help them open/explode. Obviously if they work they work, they just didn't appear to me to be designed for the job like Hornady/Nosler/Barnes bullets.

Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 09-15-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #13
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Quote:
That's a bummer to hear about his experience with the elk. According to Hornady's site, around 2600 fps they are supposed to perform like a Partition. The front portion fragments and creates shrapnel, while the rear half stays together and penetrates deeply.

As they slow down to as low as 1800 fps, they are supposed to stay almost completely together and mushroom instead.

I could see the bullet "splashing" off a rib if it were driven to insane speeds like the 3,500 fps from a 6.5-300 WBY, but he should have been shooting within their designed specs.p

Perhaps I've underestimated the Bergers, but my impression was that they were primarily a target/competition company who developed a lot of the high BC bullets. As long range hunting became popular, people were using the match bullets on game, so they just added a hollow point to help them open/explode. Obviously if they work they work, they just didn't appear to me to be designed for the job like Hornady/Nosler/Barnes bullets.
You're right about Berger up to a point. They were making target bullets all along, and long range hunters started using the target bullets to hunt and it worked. Those bullets are still the original VLD bullets, and are now called "hunting VLD". The current "target VLD" is actually the modification of the original and has a thicker jacket to handle the riggers of high velocity, rapid fire strings like you find in a match. They didn't change anything from the original to make the hunting bullets.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #14
hoythitman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Just a dove spot unfortunately

I shot a couple pigs with my 308 shooting 178's. No complaints in performance on target. I will say I still prefer my sat's though.
hoythitman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #15
txmuleyman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Alpine,Ft.Davis,Nebraska

Plenty of kills with them staying together on Longrange hunting. I'm not worried honestly. But here's a VLD at 75yds literally blew into hundreds of pieces, 210gr at 3205fps.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 5741
Size:  80.8 KB
txmuleyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #16
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

I found one guy on snipers hide that shot an aoudad with a 6.5 Creedmoor and the 143 gr ELD-X at 200 yds. DRT but no exit.

For tougher animals at close ranges, I wonder how their new ELD Match would do. It has the same plastic tip with a lead core and jacket, it would have to mushroom IMO. It is the replacement for the AMAX and many guys had good luck and exits with those.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #17
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Quote:
I found one guy on snipers hide that shot an aoudad with a 6.5 Creedmoor and the 143 gr ELD-X at 200 yds. DRT but no exit.

For tougher animals at close ranges, I wonder how their new ELD Match would do. It has the same plastic tip with a lead core and jacket, it would have to mushroom IMO. It is the replacement for the AMAX and many guys had good luck and exits with those.
I've had mixed results with the AMAX in 308. Now, everything I've shot with them has been DRT don't get me wrong, but I've had complete pass throughs, and I've had then stop under the off side hide. Funny thing is, some of the ones I expected to recover were pass throughs and others that I thought would pass through, we're still in the deer.

I'm thinking if the ELD X isn't holding together enough to pass through with the interlick ring, the Match version without it won't either. I know Audad aren't exactly heavy, tough animals like elk, but it sounds like his bullet worked as intended but didn't have enough energy to exit. Maybe the 6.5 Creed wasn't quite enough gun? I'm better with that than I am with exploding on impact and not getting any penetration.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #18
jmeghunts
Ten Point

I'm not feeling good about these now. I ordered 3 boxes of 300 win mag yesterday to get ready for my elk hunt.
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #19
bowpro12
Ten Point

I've whacked two hogs so far with the 143 ELDX in a 6.5 Creed. I purposely shot the first one through the shoulder and was pleased to see him take three steps and give it up. Bullet passed completely through the shoulders with a 1 1/2" exit. Granted, not a huge boar, but performance was what I expected out of this bullet. Second pig was hit back about 5 ribs and produced same 1 1/2" exit hole.

I just remembered, I whacked a close in coyote at about 75 yards. He dropped like a rock with 1/4 away shot. Bullet exited though off shoulder with a 1" exit.

Additionally, I've tested the .284 ELDX in my 28 Nosler and have not found the accuracy I was hoping far. I must note that minimal effort was made.
bowpro12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #20
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpro12 View Post
I've whacked two hogs so far with the 143 ELDX in a 6.5 Creed. I purposely shot the first one through the shoulder and was pleased to see him take three steps and give it up. Bullet passed completely through the shoulders with a 1 1/2" exit. Granted, not a huge boar, but performance was what I expected out of this bullet. Second pig was hit back about 5 ribs and produced same 1 1/2" exit hole.

I just remembered, I whacked a close in coyote at about 75 yards. He dropped like a rock with 1/4 away shot. Bullet exited though off shoulder with a 1" exit.

Additionally, I've tested the .284 ELDX in my 28 Nosler and have not found the accuracy I was hoping far. I must note that minimal effort was made.
This sounds better....

Old 09-15-2016, 11:12 PM   #21
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I've loaded the 178 in my 308 and while i can get them to shoot sub MOA i can do way better with regular 165gr Nosler BT's, SGK, and Accubonds. I'll admit I kinda got caught up in the "new" bullet when this came out. I shot a 160lb sow with one last month and it killed her DRT but it didn't do anything my 150gr Fusions don't do.

Don't get caught up in the marketing. Do actual research and find out what the actual benefits of different BC bullets are at the ranges you intend to hunt/shoot. I think you will find that at practical hunting ranges it doesn't make a hill of beans differnce what bullet you are shooting as long as it's designed for hunting. If I had a 6.5 I would see how a 140gr Partition shot. I KNOW it will kill the $h!t out of anything walking and all you have to do is hit them where it counts.

Remember, bullet drop is a known constant. If you are spending the money on a custom rifle you should have a rangefinder in your pocket. There is no excuse for not knowing the range therefore no excuse for missing your elevation. Better BC definitely helps with wind drift but at practical hunting ranges is the difference really appreciable?
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 12:01 AM   #22
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
I've loaded the 178 in my 308 and while i can get them to shoot sub MOA i can do way better with regular 165gr Nosler BT's, SGK, and Accubonds. I'll admit I kinda got caught up in the "new" bullet when this came out. I shot a 160lb sow with one last month and it killed her DRT but it didn't do anything my 150gr Fusions don't do.

Don't get caught up in the marketing. Do actual research and find out what the actual benefits of different BC bullets are at the ranges you intend to hunt/shoot. I think you will find that at practical hunting ranges it doesn't make a hill of beans differnce what bullet you are shooting as long as it's designed for hunting. If I had a 6.5 I would see how a 140gr Partition shot. I KNOW it will kill the $h!t out of anything walking and all you have to do is hit them where it counts.

Remember, bullet drop is a known constant. If you are spending the money on a custom rifle you should have a rangefinder in your pocket. There is no excuse for not knowing the range therefore no excuse for missing your elevation. Better BC definitely helps with wind drift but at practical hunting ranges is the difference really appreciable?
Agreed, I run the Leica 1600b lrf, so range, angle etc are known very accurately. Velocity is easy to measure and BC's are available to enter into the calculator. Drops are not a problem, wind is. I can estimate wind, and I've done well with wind calls out to about 500 with my 308 in light winds, but really I'm just guessing. Anything more than a gentle breeze and I'd be lost.

I've learned, after reading Applied Ballistics, that BC is the primary thing that effects wind drift aside from wind speed and direction. Higher BC equals reduced wind drift. Higher velocity also reduces drift. High BC combined with high velocity, gives us the least drift. My theory is that the less drift there is, the less effect a missed wind call will have. If I estimate a 5mph wind when it's actually 8mph, or I call the wrong heading, the effect of those errors will be minimized by having the higher BC bullet.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:08 AM   #23
simsknives
Ten Point

Hunt In: walker, madison, grimes, menard co.

Shot my deer last year with a vld 180gr hsm 300 win mag at a 396yds and had zero expansion almost same hole going in as going out i wasn't impressed. Made a good shot so it didn't matter but still....i had a box of the ELD-x precision hunters in my hand for my 308, the box was a little torn up from someone trying to open it at academy so i was like oh ill just grab the one under it and didn't check and it was 30-06 which no big deal because i own a 06 but didn't catch it until i was back home so didn't get to try it out on these two pigs. these were shot with the VLDS hsm 308 and both ran about 40 yards. i know a lot of people like them and they are very accurate but not impressed with expansion. Will test the ELD-x this weekend on some more pigs.

Last edited by simsknives; 09-16-2016 at 12:10 AM.
simsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 06:08 AM   #24
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsknives View Post
Shot my deer last year with a vld 180gr hsm 300 win mag at a 396yds and had zero expansion almost same hole going in as going out i wasn't impressed. Made a good shot so it didn't matter but still....i had a box of the ELD-x precision hunters in my hand for my 308, the box was a little torn up from someone trying to open it at academy so i was like oh ill just grab the one under it and didn't check and it was 30-06 which no big deal because i own a 06 but didn't catch it until i was back home so didn't get to try it out on these two pigs. these were shot with the VLDS hsm 308 and both ran about 40 yards. i know a lot of people like them and they are very accurate but not impressed with expansion. Will test the ELD-x this weekend on some more pigs.

That is odd because the VLD bullets expand violently.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #25
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpro12 View Post

This makes me feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #26
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Yeah, I'm tempted to go buy a box of the Precision Hunter in 7mm Mag or 30-06 just to test. Problem is, I've got a 7 mag in my safe that has never been fired by me, that I picked up just for the action, and I don't know its capability. The 06 I hate because it's super light weight and kills on both ends, but again, bought it for the action. Maybe it'll be better with the better recoil pad I installed.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #27
TCB
Ten Point

Ok, I've had these loaded in my Creedmoor since they came out. My son and a friends son both killed elk efficiently with it, including finding one of the rounds in the off shoulder. I've killed fallow does, whitetail and hogs with very good results.

I'd have no problem recommending them for the Creedmoor.

Here are some pic's from the elk hunt using the 143gr EDL-X:
Attached Images

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #28
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Thanks. That's more encouraging.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #29
bluelund79
Pope & Young

Hunt In: MT, WY, KY, TX, WI

Pretty interesting reports. They seem to be on both ends of the spectrum. It would be interesting to see any loading details from both sides, if they were hand loads. I'll be loading 200gr ELD-X's for my 30.06 to use out to 400yds on KY whitetails. While not elk, they are certainly larger than the central TX deer I had been chasing the previous season.
bluelund79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #30
TCB
Ten Point

I did load my own but don't come close to max powder. I think I was and still am running 42gr of H4350
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #31
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsknives View Post

Was you able to test out the ELD-X on some pigs?
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 07:52 PM   #32
JMoore85
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Anderson Cty, Eastland Cty

I will be on hogs this weekend
JMoore85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #33
x1jett
Ten Point

Hunt In: Graham, TX

This my elk, taken in AZ last week with a 300 RUM / 212 grain ELD-X, hand-loaded with 91.5 grains of Retumbo. The avg. velocity of the 212 grain round out of my ultra-mag is 3,185 fps (4,775 FPoE).

I hit the elk at 170 yards on his left side, right behind the shoulder. The elk was moving when I hit him. He wobbled, stumbled, and dropped dead after a few yards.

The round punched through part of a rib, continued through both lungs, and lodged in the membrane between his ribs on his right side.

The recovered bullet still had the lead core, and weighed 5.7 grams (88 grains). It retained 41.5% of its original weight. In my opinion, the bullet worked as advertised.
It dealt with an 800+ pound animal, hit bone, stayed together, mushroomed, and dumped over 2 tons of energy inside the elk.

I tested the 200, 212, and 220 grain bullets. The 212 is my favorite. I practiced regularly this year on targets out to 700 yards. I'm an average shooter, and 700 yards is a chip-shot with that round. It is flat!

Elk are tough, a .30 caliber rifle is an advantage.

I look forward to hearing how the ELD-X performs on Whitetail, and hogs.

Best of luck!

x1jett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #34
Txdeerhunter243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards and Lavaca co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
About 4:30 this evening a friend called me from Wyoming. He has just finished a elk hunt using a 6.5 Creed. with the 143 ELDX, factory loads. He said the first shot was right behind the shoulder. The bullet hit one rib and exploded. The elk turned around in a circle and he shot again hitting about 1" from the first hole. Neither bullet held together. He said pieces of them were all through the chest and nothing came close to an exit. The elk was about 165 yards. I thought the ELDX was suppose to stay together.
That is pretty shocking. At 165 yards that 143 gr ELDX impacted at only around 2250 fps.
Txdeerhunter243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2016, 06:45 AM   #35
trophy8
Pope & Young

I've heard several folks complain about them blowing about on impact. I haven't tried them for this reason. I'm waiting for them to fix them. About like the failure that is the long range accubonds. I was real excited for those as the AB is one of the very best hunting pills made IMO. So I'm still feeding bergers to animals hoping someone makes a better Bullet lol.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #36
UltraMax
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1jett View Post
This my elk, taken in AZ last week with a 300 RUM / 212 grain ELD-X, hand-loaded with 91.5 grains of Retumbo. The avg. velocity of the 212 grain round out of my ultra-mag is 3,185 fps (4,775 FPoE).

I hit the elk at 170 yards on his left side, right behind the shoulder. The elk was moving when I hit him. He wobbled, stumbled, and dropped dead after a few yards.

The round punched through part of a rib, continued through both lungs, and lodged in the membrane between his ribs on his right side.

The recovered bullet still had the lead core, and weighed 5.7 grams (88 grains). It retained 41.5% of its original weight. In my opinion, the bullet worked as advertised.
It dealt with an 800+ pound animal, hit bone, stayed together, mushroomed, and dumped over 2 tons of energy inside the elk.

I tested the 200, 212, and 220 grain bullets. The 212 is my favorite. I practiced regularly this year on targets out to 700 yards. I'm an average shooter, and 700 yards is a chip-shot with that round. It is flat!

Elk are tough, a .30 caliber rifle is an advantage.

I look forward to hearing how the ELD-X performs on Whitetail, and hogs.

Best of luck!

I have been looking for load data and results all over the web and this is the best review I've read. I have a .300 rum as well and am about to start working up a load of the 212's and 220's.

I am curious, what was your COAL with the 212's? Were you able to put them in the magazine. The Hornady book has them marked at like 3.900 for COAL and the max COAL is 3.600....

My dad and I booked an Aoudad hint and either of these bullets would be great.
UltraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #37
TxAg
Pope & Young

Bump
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #38
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Fields View Post
I've got some of them to use in the .264 Win Mag I'm having built by APR.
I've shot several deer with them and have not been pleased. Everyone blew apart on me. In all fairness, all my kills have been 100 to 150 yards, so impact velocity was pretty high.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #39
HDWRENCH
Eight Point

41% is a good thing??

Shooting thin skin is one thing but large thick heavy larger game needs a bullet that holds on to weight does not explode .. i just typed about this I use a Barnes . Never had a failure from 25-06 308 44 mag in pistol and my muzzle loader , 308 300 RUM and 338 Rum .

But there are plenty of proven bullets out there .
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #40
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

My 9 year old son shot this axis doe 100 yards. 6.5 143eld-x pushed by imr4350.

No trouble tracking her.

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #41
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I thought "new?" until I saw the date of this resurrected 18 month old thread

ELD-X are great; I'm suspicious of the guy hunting elk with a 6.5 man bun, not that bullet
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #42
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

Just got back from Africa and my buddy’s daughter took her 6.5creedmoor. She shot a zebra, kudu, impala, and gemsbok with the eld-x. Dropped everything with one shot.

MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #43
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySRT8U View Post
Just got back from Africa and my buddy’s daughter took her 6.5creedmoor. She shot a zebra, kudu, impala, and gemsbok with the eld-x. Dropped everything with one shot.

Good to hear. I shot some of these in 308 yesterday and they shot awesome from 0-400 yds
Old 06-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #44
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Good to hear. I shot some of these in 308 yesterday and they shot awesome from 0-400 yds

She killed her kudu at 307 yards

MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #45
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Whacked a doe with PH 178gr last year. Bad day for her. . .

Sierracharlie out…
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #46
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Saw this bumped, so I’ll update my experience last year. Shot a 10 pt whitetail at 125 yards with a 6.5 and 143 eld-x. Double lung shot, broke through a rib on the exit. Deer ran about 50 yards and collapsed, no blood trail but a good amount of blood where he fell.

Not really sure what to think, bullet obviously did the job. Most of my deer kills have been neck shots with a .30-06 and are DRT.

Only other deer I remember running with zero blood trail was also a double lung shot that exited with a .30-06 and 165 gr pointed soft point, so maybe that’s just the way it goes sometimes.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #47
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
I thought "new?" until I saw the date of this resurrected 18 month old thread

ELD-X are great; I'm suspicious of the guy hunting elk with a 6.5 man bun, not that bullet
Agreed.
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #48
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
That is odd because the VLD bullets expand violently.

Not to my experience. Killed whitetail with both 7mm Mag and 308 and got minimal expansion out of either.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #49
TxAg
Pope & Young

This video has been out a while, but I just came across it yesterday:

https://youtu.be/EnpwnYc0Sh8
Old 06-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #50
HDWRENCH
Eight Point

Stating the bullet worked in one caliber vs another is not the same It seems that the 6.5 is very popular but the bullet section is no where near what other calibers are so guys that do not load buy off the shelf .

and the total mixed reviews on that bullet to me at least mean something . Some have good luck others do not ..
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top