Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #101
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
OK.

Seems things are changing..

Things can't change fast enough. Those inefficient farmers are still using more water than the combined use of every single human being living in a city that gets water from the LCRA between Marble Falls and the Gulf of Mexico.

We don't need to grow rice in Texas.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #102
Legdog
Pope & Young

I see a lot of complaints about Austin being too liberal and therefore uninhabitable.

I just don't see it. I think that was back in the days of Oat Willies Stickers on every third car, The Armadillo World Headquarters, Liberty Lunch and Leslie the cross-dressing homeless peace activist dude that died a while back.

It might show up blue on the map but that whole "Keep Austin Weird" thing isn't around much outside of airport souvenir shops and Tyler's. Even The Drag has a mainstream feel to it these days. I think "Watch Austin Get Gentrified" is more realistic.
Legdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #103
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Austin is liberal...no doubt about it. I se it every day
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #104
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Austin outgrew its weirdness a decade ago.
It's now a town where 2 out of 3 cars still sport Obama and Hillary stickers and dildos descend on the UT campus in anti carry protest (which is not wierd...just stupid.) Yes, Austin is a liberal haven.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #105
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legdog View Post
I see a lot of complaints about Austin being too liberal and therefore uninhabitable.

I just don't see it. I think that was back in the days of Oat Willies Stickers on every third car, The Armadillo World Headquarters, Liberty Lunch and Leslie the cross-dressing homeless peace activist dude that died a while back.

It might show up blue on the map but that whole "Keep Austin Weird" thing isn't around much outside of airport souvenir shops and Tyler's. Even The Drag has a mainstream feel to it these days. I think "Watch Austin Get Gentrified" is more realistic.

I couldn't agree more. It is a stereotype Austin can't shake. Any major metropolitan area will be more liberal than the smaller towns. I will add that being the Capitol we also get an influx of non residents from other parts of Texas that come here to be politically active about the issue of their choice. They make the news and it looks they are from here but they go home and we get the blame. We also have a major university that attracts folks that are here for four years and leave. They leave their mark also. I have been here since 1994 and have enjoyed it here immensely. It is a great place to raise kids if you gotta be in the city. I also enjoyed Liberty Lunch while it was around. Good music and Pearl in the stubby bottle.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #106
mattjproc
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Things can't change fast enough. Those inefficient farmers are still using more water than the combined use of every single human being living in a city that gets water from the LCRA between Marble Falls and the Gulf of Mexico.

I'm guessing the Lane City Reservoir is the difference in the stats. It went online in 2016 i believe. 75% of the contracts that came out of the highland lakes are pulled from lane city now.
mattjproc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #107
Buck Slayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
My last couple of years with the city I worked with customers on stuff like that. Finding stations watering 15 to 30 minutes was common. They called to complain about their bill.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I get on to my parents about it... they don't listen, nobody will.

Ever lol

The ones watering for 30 minutes are the same ones putting out 4 bags of fertilizer at the same time and not realizing its all just leaching out and running down the storm drain...
Buck Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #108
js4242
Four Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co

Lived here for 11 years now. Came from Virginia to Dallas for love. Got a job in San Jose, CA and lived there for 4.5 years. My wife reminded me she wanted to get back to TX everyday of that 4.5 years. Instead of moving back to Dallas (I don't like it) I got to Austin. Best decision I ever made. I work in tech, I'm conservative, and like to get out to my FiLs ranch when life permits. There are plenty of like minded folks for me to hang out with and I even like hanging with a few that aren't like me. We have water restrictions in place and have for about as long I have lived here. Two times a week and only during certain hours. Once my kids leave the nest, I will probably move further out. By that time further out could be N of Lampasas. I wish the migration would slow down, but the City has a lot to offer. I wouldn't live anywhere else though.
js4242 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #109
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

Rice farmers in Tx are actually some of the most efficient rice farmers in the world, problem is rice farming in general is simply not an efficient use of our water.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #110
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjproc View Post
I'm guessing the Lane City Reservoir is the difference in the stats. It went online in 2016 i believe. 75% of the contracts that came out of the highland lakes are pulled from lane city now.
We farm around the lane city reservoir. It hasnít been completed yet, still empty.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #111
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

For all the issues we see there the folks from Kalifornia are coming from an even larger ****hole. They think its paradise.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #112
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
Rice farmers in Tx are actually some of the most efficient rice farmers in the world, problem is rice farming in general is simply not an efficient use of our water.
We are on the same page. I am not criticizing them for being bad at farming rice.

*We don't need to grow rice in Texas.*
Old 07-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #113
topduarte
Pope & Young

Arrived in Austin in 87 at age 18.

Left to Pflugerville in 1996 when Pflugerville was only 3,000 people. Now it is 60,000 people.

I do not go to Austin unless I have to.

The city of Austin is now imo a "Soulless City". It is not unique as it once was.

I miss the old Austin.
topduarte is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #114
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:

Were is all of this rice being irrigated?? Enlighten me please.. I know there is still a small amount around eagle lake.
I was born and raised in the rice belt.. I still live here.. There is virtually NO rice being farmed anymore.. My uncle is a farmer in Edna. He's been farming for 60+ years.. They haven't planted rice in 20+ years..
The geese are all but non-existent on the gulf coast anymore these days because the rice is GONE..

Compared to 20-30 years ago the is very little water being used for rice farming...

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 07-11-2018 at 06:09 PM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #115
BlackoutRam2500
Six Point

Had to drive through there and fight all that traffic on our way to visit some rock quarries near Georgetown a couple of months ago. You can keep it!!!
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #116
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Were is all of this rice being irrigated?? Enlighten me please.. I know there is still a small amount around eagle lake.
I was born and raised in the rice belt.. I still live here.. There is virtually NO rice being farmed anymore.. My uncle is a farmer in Edna. He's been farming for 60+ years.. They haven't planted rice in 20+ years..
The geese are all but non-existent on the gulf coast anymore these days because the rice is GONE..

Compared to 20-30 years ago the is very little water being used for rice farming...
Kind of what I was thinking. Grew up outside of Alvin and back in the 70's and 80's, there used to be rice fields all over the place in Brazoria Co. They are virtually non-existent today.

Blame farmers all you want, but I think the Austin area water problems have much more to do with lack of rain, combined with too many people.

Coastal areas of TX, including Houston, don't typically run short on water because we get upwards to 50 inches of rain annually. The hill country is probably lucky to see half that amount.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #117
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Dear god people. All major metro areas in the US are liberal. The only metro county that is not is Tarrant. Austin and the surrounding area is way cooler and nicer than LA, NY, Dallas, Houston, Philly, etc. I dont live there cause I grew tired of the city. Wimberley has liberals but it is a great place to live. Why is it that this liberal ****hole Austin is the new BBQ capital of Texas? You may not believe it but my hardcore snowflake hatin pro 2A *** can go to Austin and never even realize what anyones political affiliation is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #118
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:

When rice prices were at their peak in the 1970s and '80s, Texas dedicated 500,000 acres to it each year.

Texas's rice belt is clustered in the coastal and near-coastal counties that are east and west of Houston.

Today, 160,000 acres of rice are farmed in Texas. Requires 1.5 to 2.5 acre feet of water to make a main crop of rice. Main rice crop not even profitable at current rice prices. Then they do a second crop.

Rice farmers accounted for about 60 percent of all LCRA water used in 2011, which, combined with the drought, had caused the lake levels to drop to 37 percent of capacity.

List of LCRA rice contracts

Amount of water require to farm 160,000 acres of rice could instead provide water for additional 1.28 million people.

I can keep going, but I bet you have Google at your house.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #119
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
340,000 acres less rice today..... I see this..
You seem to be stuck in 2011.. We are 7 years past that.. I'm not trying to argue with you about wether or not that farmers are using water, of course they do.. I guess they can just quit farming altogether..
My point is that the continued growth in that area is only adding more high demand to a lake/water source that already cannot maintain a level.. For you to act like the explosion in the development in the Austin areas has no affect on the area lake levels and that is just foolish.. It's not "fake news", it's fact..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 07-11-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #120
RMW
Ten Point

All farmers were not allowed any water for their crops since the drought of 2011. I think they are now for rice near the coast but itís really expensive. We use ground water.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #121
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Well, rainbows all over and college kids get to wave dilldos
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #122
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
You seem to be stuck in 2011.. We are 7 years past that..
The date stamps on those articles disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
All farmers were not allowed any water for their crops since the drought of 2011. I think they are now for rice near the coast but itís really expensive. We use ground water.
The releases were suspended from 2012 through 2015 because of the severe drought.

235,000+ acre feet of water for farming in LCRA basin in 2017.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #123
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

All I can say is keep moving there, I am in the swimming pool and concrete business there, come on down, LOL.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #124
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
All I can say is keep moving there, I am in the swimming pool and concrete business there, come on down, LOL.
From looking at google earth it appears the swimming pool business is HUGE out there...
Old 07-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #125
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
We are still not allowed any water here since 2011. Actually 235,000 acre feet is not very much water, a little under 80 billon gallons I think. We pump over 10,000,000 gallons of water a day on our turf farms, so I’m pretty sure we use way more than 10 billon gallons a year just by ourselves.

Last edited by RMW; 07-11-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #126
mattjproc
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
We farm around the lane city reservoir. It hasnít been completed yet, still empty.
No kidding? Wow I had no idea. I went to a conference in 2014 about it and they said it would be up and running in 2016. Just checked their website and it said complete by July 2017. I guess they are behind on the project and website updates.
mattjproc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 11:10 PM   #127
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjproc View Post
No kidding? Wow I had no idea. I went to a conference in 2014 about it and they said it would be up and running in 2016. Just checked their website and it said complete by July 2017. I guess they are behind on the project and website updates.
They got rid of the first contractor that was accomplishing nothing for the first 6 months and it set idle for almost a year before the next contractor came in and took over. I talked to one of the employees about a 2 months ago that I know from the area and he said it was almost completed.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #128
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
We are still not allowed any water here since 2011. Actually 235,000 acre feet is not very much water, a little under 80 billon gallons I think. We pump over 10,000,000 gallons of water a day on our turf farms, so Iím pretty sure we use way more than 10 billon gallons a year just by ourselves.
Good luck with your farming, sorry about the population explosion hurting your water needs.
The state of Texas adds about 250,000 new citizens a year, so unfortunately it is only going to get worse.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 07:30 AM   #129
Capp35
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard & Milam county

Maybe Texas needs to put up a wall all around us, to stop the interstate migration? HaHa

Austin does still have a lot of liberal views (like being the first for non immigration issues), but not as bad as years past.

I know someone that lives in Anahuac that makes a VERY good living rice farming.
Capp35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #130
Bruiser
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legdog View Post
I canít speak to the why but I can certainly attest to the phenomena.

My job requires I travel all over central Texas from San Marcos to Georgetown and from Bastrop to Horseshoe Bay. I do real estate photography so I see it all. The east Austin gentrification is eye popping as ultra modern homes go up right next to falling down homes in dire need of repair. The Belterra and surrounding subdivisions out 290 to Dripping Springs are amazing as new subdivisions are built with their own schools built in. The updated home flipping business is also booming especially in the interior city. Iíve never seen anything like it. Of course, the west Austin mansions in the hills are also multiplying daily. The growth is simply everywhere. The senior market at Sun City (AKA the Wrinkle Ranch) is loaded with amenities and growth and their very own STD problem as apparently the seniors still have ample tread on their bedroom tires.

I live in South Austin near south Lamar and Ben White. Itís still pretty easy to get around but loop 1 is getting a southern extension as I type. The 290 - 71 split in Oak Hill is about to pop like a teenage pimple and historic urban Lions Municipal golf course is under serious threat of development.

I average roughly 130 miles of travel per day. From my windshield perspective, the growth is stunning. I also find the travel to be pretty easy. Itís a very pretty part of the state. If you like urban amenities combined with trails and woods itís a good place to be. It will be interesting to see what the decades ahead bring. Hopefully smart people preserve what attracts the masses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loop 1? where did you move from
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #131
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
From looking at google earth it appears the swimming pool business is HUGE out there...
yes it is
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #132
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
The M streets. Lower Greenville.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #133
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Slayer View Post
I get on to my parents about it... they don't listen, nobody will.

Ever lol

The ones watering for 30 minutes are the same ones putting out 4 bags of fertilizer at the same time and not realizing its all just leaching out and running down the storm drain...
The ones that get my goat are the cities that let the citizens water every day. Where I live, we are on a 2 day restriction. Last I heard Dallas is on "Voluntary Restrictions". I see the same systems running every morning. I run mine for 21 minutes twice a week. Not all at one time though. Each station will run for 7 minutes, then an hour later another 7 minutes, then an hour later another 7 minutes. This allows the water to soak in without runoff. I do this twice a week.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #134
chuckc.
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason

I grew up in Austin in the 50's and 60's, it was an awesome place back then. Not so much anymore. To me it's much more painful to watch what's happening to the hill country. In my opinion Mason is about the only hill country town that remains what my memories of the hill country are. Unfortunately this over population is the price we pay for prosperity.
chuckc. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #135
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
We are still not allowed any water here since 2011. Actually 235,000 acre feet is not very much water, a little under 80 billon gallons I think. We pump over 10,000,000 gallons of water a day on our turf farms, so Iím pretty sure we use way more than 10 billon gallons a year just by ourselves.
First, your math is wrong. 10MGD is only 3.65 billion gallons per year if you water every single day of the year, which you do not.

Second, suggesting that 235 A-f of water is "not very much water" is laughable. That enough municipal water for a half a million people for 3 straight years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Lololol #aintnoloop
Old 07-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #136
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
First, your math is wrong. 10MGD is only 3.65 billion gallons per year if you water every single day of the year, which you do not.

Second, suggesting that 235 A-f of water is "not very much water" is laughable. That enough municipal water for a half a million people for 3 straight years.

Lololol #aintnoloop
Yeah we don’t water everyday but 5,000,000 gallons was for 1 well for watering around 250 acres at 3400gpm. We got probably 20 wells watering 5000 acres of grass and 6000 acres of row crop. Grass farms use way more water than rice fields in Texas.

Last edited by RMW; 07-12-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #137
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
We got probably 20 wells watering 5000 acres of grass and 6000 acres of row crop. Grass farms use way more water than rice fields in Texas.
I do love my little patch of St. Augustine but that's insane.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #138
Buck Slayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Tx

Quote:
Yeah we donít water everyday but 5,000,000 gallons was for 1 well for watering around 250 acres at 3400gpm. We got probably 20 wells watering 5000 acres of grass and 6000 acres of row crop. Grass farms use way more water than rice fields in Texas.
Every now and then they call me out to whiz on it for some extra fertilizer...

Oh, and for what it's worth, I know some rice farmers down in College Port... So I guess add that to the list.
Buck Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #139
Sharecropper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Backyard

There is a premium on land with access to water that will only escalate . . I signed a ground water lease that is part of a 10k acre project that will produce 66 mill gallons/day . . It seems that my property is over 2 aquifers . . 7 wells will be drilled . . whodathunkit . . We are appx 20 miles from Ozarka near Hawkins . . Water getting more valuable than oil . . Back property line is the Sabine river . .

Last edited by Sharecropper; 07-12-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Sharecropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #140
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
I do love my little patch of St. Augustine but that's insane.
Whatís really insane is after getting 25 inches of rain from Hurricane Harvey, we were watering 6 days later. I never cry over to much rain.