Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 07-08-2018, 01:15 AM   #51
Sideler
Ten Point

Donated around $150 this year.
Sideler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #52
NDN98
Eight Point

Going to make my donation again this year. I have 9+ loyalty points in every category I apply for except GDA and GDM
NDN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #53
Deerguy
Eight Point

Looks like I'm in for an even 60 this year for $272. Various levels of LP's from 0 up to 22 for pronghorn. some of the higher ones are 10 for archery mule deer, 15 for exotic, 12 for gun deer management, 11 for mule deer, and 12 for private lands either sex.

Last edited by Deerguy; 07-08-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #54
Charlie
Six Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods View Post
Texas has too many people and too little public land.
Huntable public land is going to disappear as population increases. State Parks are over run with bikers and hikers.

I'd like to see a system where private land owners are incentivized to open their land at certain times of the year to the public for fishing, hunting, and trapping. I'd like to see a significant property tax incentive or abatements given to those who allow managed public access to their land. I think that if the state offered these incentives and indemnified the property owner for the risk associated with this, then we would way more opportunities to hunt.
My thoughts exactly.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #55
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods View Post
Texas has too many people and too little public land.
Huntable public land is going to disappear as population increases. State Parks are over run with bikers and hikers.

I'd like to see a system where private land owners are incentivized to open their land at certain times of the year to the public for fishing, hunting, and trapping. I'd like to see a significant property tax incentive or abatements given to those who allow managed public access to their land. I think that if the state offered these incentives and indemnified the property owner for the risk associated with this, then we would way more opportunities to hunt.
There is less public land in texas no doubt but there is plenty that is under utilized or not at all, look up BLM land on the red river. The public areas in texas that do allow deer hunting all season are federal lands, some of the NWR don't but their prerogative is more preservation not conservation. Any state lands are very restrictive on hunting they allow usually, the philosophy in this state on deer hunting is just different and very protective for whatever reason, there is plenty of resource.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #56
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
there is less public land in texas no doubt but there is plenty that is under utilized or not at all, look up blm land on the red river. The public areas in texas that do allow deer hunting all season are federal lands, some of the nwr don't but their prerogative is more preservation not conservation. Any state lands are very restrictive on hunting they allow usually, the philosophy in this state on deer hunting is just different and very protective for whatever reason, there is plenty of resource.
shhhhhhhh.
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #57
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
There is less public land in texas no doubt but there is plenty that is under utilized or not at all, look up BLM land on the red river. The public areas in texas that do allow deer hunting all season are federal lands, some of the NWR don't but their prerogative is more preservation not conservation. Any state lands are very restrictive on hunting they allow usually, the philosophy in this state on deer hunting is just different and very protective for whatever reason, there is plenty of resource.
It all boils down to money. The state cant incentivize Private land owners enough to even come close to what they can make on private leasing, nor does the state want to lose the business from ALL people wishing to use the public land in order to provide to the hunters. They do what they can to make everyone share and play nice, but we are fighting a losing battle in the Lonestar state for sure.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #58
tward1604
Eight Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

I get it that folks get mad that other folks are applying for the same spots you want but wow. Because you want the spot others shouldn't be allowed to? What am I missing? And raising the prices might make it so that not everyone can afford to apply. I'd love to apply for all of the hunts but can't afford that now so you make it more expensive and now i can barely afford to apply for one hunt. Lets not make hunting any more of a rich mans game than it's already becoming.

Just apply and be happy when you get drawn.
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #59
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward1604 View Post
I get it that folks get mad that other folks are applying for the same spots you want but wow. Because you want the spot others shouldn't be allowed to? What am I missing? And raising the prices might make it so that not everyone can afford to apply. I'd love to apply for all of the hunts but can't afford that now so you make it more expensive and now i can barely afford to apply for one hunt. Lets not make hunting any more of a rich mans game than it's already becoming.

Slow Clap.....in 3....2....1.....
Old 07-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #60
Deers & Beers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward1604 View Post

It has nothing to do with that. No one is mad because other people are applying to where they want to apply, that's always happened. It's that Texas has one of the worst hunt lottery systems in the entire U.S. and it would be so easy to make it one of the best by just making a handful of common sense changes.
Deers & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #61
J-Bob
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Draws

I think it is funny that everyone complained back in the day when you could only apply for one hunt per category. Now people complain that you can put in for all of them. I like the new system. Would rather have the option of putting in for as many as I want.

I get the argument for being able to buy a point in a category. Makes sense.

But I would much rather be able to put in for multiple hunts in one category. If you have other hunting options and are only putting in for a handful of premier hunts then it benefits you to have the old system to increase your odds, but if you don’t have your own place and are a meat hunter like me who is going to load up on doe/spike and hog applications then the new system is much better.

I think the fact that it is online now is affecting the odds much more than the number of hunts one can put in for per category.

But like others have said, no one gets picked so save your $ and don’t apply.
J-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 11:42 PM   #62
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

I put in where i could with my schedule. 60 something dollars between me and my dad as my partner.
havent applied for gator yet, trying to figure out who i can get to apply with. thats one i dont want to go alone for and buddy will be out at work in september.

if anyone has some points built and in the same boat pm me. ill be at 5 or 6 points this year on gator

Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 07-08-2018 at 11:45 PM.
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #63
Grizz83
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Collingsworth Co, Colorado, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I have 22 in Pronghorn. Other categories range from 1 to 16. Only have 4 in Bighorn. They deleted all my previous points and made me start over at 0 for that one a few years ago. That sucked.
Oh yeah, I remember when TPWD screwed you over that time. You poor fella!

I drew an elk tag for Colorado, so I'll be applying for 1 hunt in every category this year and hoping to NOT get drawn. Sure wish they would just add a LP only option. Also, I saw that the Powderhorn WMA was added to the list this year. I bet that one will be nearly impossible to draw.
Grizz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #64
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz83 View Post
Oh yeah, I remember when TPWD screwed you over that time. You poor fella!

I drew an elk tag for Colorado, so I'll be applying for 1 hunt in every category this year and hoping to NOT get drawn. Sure wish they would just add a LP only option. Also, I saw that the Powderhorn WMA was added to the list this year. I bet that one will be nearly impossible to draw.
I saw the Powderhorn in there this year also. I admit I didn't know anything about it prior to that. I've looked around on line and learned a little bit about it. I'll put in for it for grins and giggles.

And congratulations on your elk tag!!!
BradBryant1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #65
Bryan2014
Four Point

Hunt In: Burleson county, Menard County, Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
I saw the Powderhorn in there this year also. I admit I didn't know anything about it prior to that. I've looked around on line and learned a little bit about it. I'll put in for it for grins and giggles.

Don’t mention it and less people will know about it LOL
Bryan2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #66
lordvader
Nubbin' Buck

Call TPWD, they can give the answer you seek. Yeah, I wouldn't want to lose my points either.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #67
tdwinklr
Six Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Call TPWD, they can give the answer you seek. Yeah, I wouldn't want to lose my points either.
They will change your status if you ask, in the scenario where you find you can't go on a particular date and the draw hasn't taken place yet, TPWD will remove your entry so that you don't lose acquired points from the past, in case you are picked.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #68
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBryant1000 View Post

Haha, there's only 12 permits. They need to up their permit #'s, I remember when they would draw 180 permits just for archery at Gus Engeling and the antlerless gun as well as management gun was well over 100 permits, now it's way less.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #69
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Haha, there's only 12 permits. They need to up their permit #'s, I remember when they would draw 180 permits just for archery at Gus Engeling and the antlerless gun as well as management gun was well over 100 permits, now it's way less.
That’s something a lot of people don’t look at is how many fewer permits places are giving out every year.
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #70
lk05077
Four Point

put my daughter in for a few hunts not holding my breath
lk05077 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #71
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk05077 View Post
put my daughter in for a few hunts not holding my breath
If your daughter is 17 or younger you should really check out the Texas Youth Hunting Program. It is a fantastic program.

www.tyhp.org

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #72
osochuck
Spike

x1000 on TYHP, took my son on his first deer and turkey hunt. First time kids get priority, both hunts we ate like kings, great company, highly recommend it. Scholarship available also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
osochuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #73
GBludau
Six Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

I hope luck is on my side! I have to keep my fellow TBH'ers entertained and glued to the GS! Not applying to anything yet. See how work plays out this year. Applying early is not a smart move. Keep your cards in hand til the dealer is ready!
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #74
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I hope luck is on my side! I have to keep my fellow TBH'ers entertained and glued to the GS! Not applying to anything yet. See how work plays out this year. Applying early is not a smart move. Keep your cards in hand til the dealer is ready!
Actually talking to the people that wrote the computer program the earlier you put in the better your chance, it rotates throught the applications in order of entry, the earlier you put in the more times the wheel spins by your name so to speak.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #75
Mule Skinner
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Eastern Edwards Co.

Last fall my son got drawn for a mule deer hunt. I think I was more excited about it than he was. It was a chance at the Holy Grail.

A few weeks after we received that news I got the dreaded email. I was finally drawn for a Gun Deer Either Sex hunt. Yep, you guessed it, the hunt was scheduled the same weekend as my son’s youth hunt.

It pains me to type this, but that was the first time I was drawn for a buck hunt. Twenty six years of applying and 26 preference points down the drain.

Oh well, I don’t regret it and that’s how the system rolls. After all, I was the one who double booked!
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #76
Grizz83
Ten Point

Yep that really sucks. That's happened to me before. Most of the time now I apply for specific dates and not "Any date".

How did the muley hunt go and where was it?
Old 07-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #77
Mule Skinner
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Eastern Edwards Co.

It was at Big Bend Ranch State Park and it was awesome. We hunted in snow the first morning. We pretty much hunted all 2.5 days non stop. And saw one deer that was about 600 yards away. Unfortunately our compartment had limited vehicle access. If it had a road bisecting it we could have covered more ground and probably seen more deer. Still a great hunt. My son passed on javelina, we bumped a few coveys of blues and found some nice sheds.

Out of the four kids who showed up to hunt, a girl was the only one to score and she got a buck for the wall.

The mule deer hunt was a first for both of us and even though I wasn’t hunting, the thought of hunting West Texas for them, well, it gets in your blood.

Considering that my buck hunt was at Honey Creek SNA (next to Guadalupe River State Park), I wasn’t too torn up about missing it as I might have had a chance at a hill country buck and possibly an exotic. I did pay the $80 for the hunt as insurance though, in case my son got sick or something came up to where he couldn’t make the trip west. Yet another donation to TPWD!
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #78
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

I got my kids applications put in for their hunts.

I'll put my dad and myself in for ours at some point tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #79
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
I’ve got a bone to pick with a buck in Fort Boggy. He slipped right by me last year after almost running head first into my blind. Maybe I’ll get lucky and draw that place again.

I’ve got a bone to pick with tpwd about fort boggy. They messed up last year and drew too many names for the anterless and let us know about 5 days before the hunt that we’d been “undrawn.”

Last edited by bullets13; 07-14-2018 at 10:18 PM.
bullets13 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #80
Ungawa
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
I’ve got a bone to pick with tpwd about fort boggy. They messed up last year and drew too many names for the anterless and let us know about 5 days before the hunt that we’d been “undrawn.”
Thats just wrong. Sorry to hear that happened. They should have honored the hunts. And only 5 days notice is unacceptable, people make plans.....take off work arrange around other events, school.
Ungawa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #81
tdwinklr
Six Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
did they give you your points back too?
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #82
HighwayHunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
did they give you your points back too?

We’re you in the second group of hunters? I think I remember them telling us about that when we got there.

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #83
uncle jesse
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette Co

Entered my two youngest for the youth either s#x hunts last night. Hopefully they get drawn.

My oldest never got drawn for the either s#x hunts while he was eligible (8 yrs old thru 16 yrs old).

Wish he could have carried over the youth preference points to the adult hunt pool.
uncle jesse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #84
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

[QUOTE=uncle jesse;13509424]Entered my two youngest for the youth either s#x hunts last night. Hopefully they get drawn.

My oldest never got drawn for the either s#x hunts while he was eligible (8 yrs old thru 16 yrs old).

Wish he could have carried over the youth preference points to the adult hunt pool.[/QUOTE

Friend of mine at work said both of his kids did carry over their preference points when they moved to the adult category.
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #85
bossbowman
Ten Point

[quote=OleTomTalker;13510359]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle jesse View Post
Entered my two youngest for the youth either s#x hunts last night. Hopefully they get drawn.

Wish he could have carried over the youth preference points to the adult hunt pool.[/QUOTE

Friend of mine at work said both of his kids did carry over their preference points when they moved to the adult category.
Thats odd just assumed they lost them. Never heard that considering you can already put kids into the adult hunts, just has to be a supervising adult on the card. If they have points in both gun deer antlerless and youth deer antlerless, will they add the two together once they turn 17?, I currently have this exact scenario.

Last edited by bossbowman; 07-27-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #86
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

[quote=bossbowman;13510377]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomTalker View Post

Thats odd just assumed they lost them. Never heard that considering you can already put kids into the adult hunts, just has to be a supervising adult on the card. If they have points in both gun deer antlerless and youth deer antlerless, will they add the two together once they turns 17?, I currently have this exact scenario.
I'd call in and check. Don't take my word for it but just this week I was looking at the hunts with him and he commented that his son had carried over points. I didn't actually see his account though
Old 07-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #87
uncle jesse
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette Co

I checked on the accounts for my two oldest and neither of them had points carried over from youth hunts to adult hunts
uncle jesse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #88
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
I checked on the accounts for my two oldest and neither of them had points carried over from youth hunts to adult hunts
Thats what I figured. In a way its good they capped the youth applications per area to 3 but in a way its not because the last year they were eligible I was going to put them in for everything Also can look at it this way, why should those points carry over, they didn't cost anything.

Last edited by bossbowman; 07-27-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #89
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

Anybody archery hunt deer at Gov Canyon, Kickapoo, or Lake Brownwood. I have not so looking for some thoughts from those who have.

Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #90
Phorizt
Four Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
If your daughter is 17 or younger you should really check out the Texas Youth Hunting Program. It is a fantastic program.

www.tyhp.org

I've never heard of this program. Definitely gonna check it out for my son who is starting to hunt this year.
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #91
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
I've never heard of this program. Definitely gonna check it out for my son who is starting to hunt this year.
Kids have to be 9 years old and have completed their Hunters Safety. It is an awesome program.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #92
Phorizt
Four Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Perfect. My son is 10 and enrolled for his hunters safety course in August.

Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 PM   #93
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
Perfect. My son is 10 and enrolled for his hunters safety course in August.

The TYHP program is phenomenal. It's given me the opportunity to make life long memories with each of my children. My sons have been fortunate to go on several hunts over the years and every one was a great experience. My daughter is in the program now and has taken a turkey the last two spring seasons and hopes to harvest her first deer this upcoming season with TYHP. The staff, volunteers and landowners are all great people. Check it out, you'll be glad that you did.

JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2018, 05:30 AM   #94
JayKen86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico, Colorado county, Washington county, Colorado

[quote=OleTomTalker;13510359]
Quote:

Ya I think your friend is telling stories lol. I’m 32 and still show to have 7 loyalty points in youth GDE. A lot of good they are doing me
JayKen86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2018, 07:28 AM   #95
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

[quote=JayKen86;13517648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomTalker View Post

Ya I think your friend is telling stories lol. I’m 32 and still show to have 7 loyalty points in youth GDE. A lot of good they are doing me
Yeah, I'm curious to get him to show me now. Think he's mistaken. Maybe he's seeing that they still have preference points in the youth categories....
Old 08-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #96
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

I put in for all the antelope hunts (yesterday was the deadline). I'm sure hoping I get drawn. Was hoping they would draw this afternoon for those hunts.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #97
Grizz83
Ten Point

They've done the gator draws. I'm going to JD Murphree!!

Got drawn there last year too but it was canceled due to the hurricane.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #98
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:

Right on. I'm pending 2nd for Gator. so no gator hunt this year.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #99
outlook8
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:

Us too...9/12-13!
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #100
Merc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...

Yep, same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Right on. I'm pending 2nd for Gator. so no gator hunt this year.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top