Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 07-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
robert97dodge
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/trinity/Nacogdoches county NF
Default East texas public land thread 2018-2019

I talked about this a while back just starting a general East texas public hunting thread. This can be any public land from sabine, angelina, davy crocket and surrounding areas. Myself, like others work hard to find our spots that we have hunted for years so no reason to be specific about your area. When someone ask where I hunt my reply is typically east texas public land. This can be a good thread to post up pics, tips or tricks you have learned a long the way.

With that being said I know there are some out there that are already scouting, planning and getting ready for the new season. For me personally what I am doing to get ready for the season is getting my butt back in shape! I started a product called Thrive by Le-Vel and its been amazing. I get up 4am every morning and go ride my bike for an hour in the woods or i go hit up the gym. I plan on being the best shape I have been in, in a long time. It will make the 1-2 miles hikes in and out of the woods much easier. Especially when I am packing out those deer and hogs. This week I will be throwing up cameras in a spot I found last year and go ahead and trim any trees that need it. What is everyone else doing to get ready for the season?
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
CSATEXAS
Nubbin' Buck

My neighbors think my place is "public land". Sounds like a good idea, it's a great thing to have here in Texas for those who don't hunt clubs or have their own places.
CSATEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

I'll follow along as I hunt a couple of public land units. Good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )

Same here, just finished jogging a few miles into a spot to grab a card, about to see what's on ir

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sam

Yep I’m in, but I don’t think you are supposed to trim any trees on public, but good stuff sounds like a great work out, I’ve killed and recovered 7 pigs this season on public and 5 since April, ready for it to cool off been hot camping out there lately.
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest-hunter View Post
Yep Iím in, but I donít think you are supposed to trim any trees on public, but good stuff sounds like a great work out, Iíve killed and recovered 7 pigs this season on public and 5 since April, ready for it to cool off been hot camping out there lately.
You're better at going after pigs than I am, I just accidentally walk up on thrm

Old 07-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
robert97dodge
Six Point

Quote:
Yep Iím in, but I donít think you are supposed to trim any trees on public, but good stuff sounds like a great work out, Iíve killed and recovered 7 pigs this season on public and 5 since April, ready for it to cool off been hot camping out there lately.
I think you can trim just canít cut down. Trimming can help better growth but you may be right. The last cool spell we had back in April or so I finally go a couple more hogs for the freezer. I noticed Wednesday our high is only 83 so Iíll be in the woods!
Old 07-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

How do yíall target pigs on public land? Iíd like to do that but without baiting itís hard to stick them in one area Iíd imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
robert97dodge
Six Point

It really depends on the time of year. In spring certain areas I hunt floods so I pushed them up to different areas. In fall when it’s dry after a long summer they’re gonna be more in the bottoms that still have water and looking for those early falling acorns. Hogs can be hard to pattern but when you’re in certain areas a lot you figure out where the food and water sources are.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
I think you can trim just canít cut down. Trimming can help better growth but you may be right. The last cool spell we had back in April or so I finally go a couple more hogs for the freezer. I noticed Wednesday our high is only 83 so Iíll be in the woods!
Got to take advantage of those rare summer days that stay cool, Thanks fit the tip I didnít know.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
You're better at going after pigs than I am, I just accidentally walk up on thrm

Yea chief you donít have to look for them they find you Lol, glad you were able to stop that charging boar with the single shot rifle. He was a beast.

Last edited by forest-hunter; 07-01-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #12
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Quote:
Yea chief you donít have to look for them they find you Lol, glad you were able to stop that charging boar with one shot.
I know, he was a giant. Hoping to get a couple 20 to 40lb piggies next time

Old 07-02-2018, 01:29 AM   #13
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

I have a question for early season bowhunters. When scouting for a good early season stand, will I be better off playing the odds on summer winds primarily coming out of the south to hunt bedding areas? Or should I look for better travel corridors for evening hunts?

Old 07-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #14
Jswift91
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
I know, he was a giant. Hoping to get a couple 20 to 40lb piggies next time

Post up that picture I took of it lol!
Jswift91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #15
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswift91 View Post
Post up that picture I took of it lol!
You mean this little guy? . And before anyone asks I shot him while it was still daylight, just took about two hours to drag him out.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #16
robert97dodge
Six Point

Nice hog! I do not drag out anything anymore. I quarter them up and pack them out. Much easier.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #17
robert97dodge
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
I have a question for early season bowhunters. When scouting for a good early season stand, will I be better off playing the odds on summer winds primarily coming out of the south to hunt bedding areas? Or should I look for better travel corridors for evening hunts?

Definitely gotta play the wind. One thing I have learned about public land you never know where the deer will pop up. I try to find natural funnels between bedding and feeding areas
Old 07-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #18
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Definitely gotta play the wind. One thing I have learned about public land you never know where the deer will pop up. I try to find natural funnels between bedding and feeding areas

Iíve been doing a lot of internet and foot scouting trying to primarily locate bedding areas. Itís definitely difficult to locate feeding areas until you can find where the acorns are gonna be dropping. Iím not really sure what to look for food wise other than acorns and small leafy green browse, which seems to be absolutely everywhere right now.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #19
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Last edited by forest-hunter; 07-03-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #20
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Yep I look for funnels in oak patches also.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #21
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Nice hog! I do not drag out anything anymore. I quarter them up and pack them out. Much easier.
Same here, I think thatís the difference between a satisfying dinner and what people call ďGameyĒ
Old 07-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #22
robert97dodge
Six Point

I used to drag out my deer and hogs but most of the time I’m at least a mile from the truck. Last time out I shot two hogs about 100-125lbs each and quartered them both and packed them back to the truck. It was so hot that day no way I would have got them cooled down quick otherwise.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #23
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
I used to drag out my deer and hogs but most of the time Iím at least a mile from the truck. Last time out I shot two hogs about 100-125lbs each and quartered them both and packed them back to the truck. It was so hot that day no way I would have got them cooled down quick otherwise.
Are you using a frame pack for this? I thought about buying a cheap one because I canít afford the nice ones, but not sure if the cheap ones work worth anything. I assume thats why the nice ones are so expensive, they work.
MetalMan2004 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #24
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
Are you using a frame pack for this? I thought about buying a cheap one because I canít afford the nice ones, but not sure if the cheap ones work worth anything. I assume thats why the nice ones are so expensive, they work.
I may be mistaking but I believe I remember someone on here using the cheapo Amazon pack and having good results for deer around Texas. Might be worth looking into.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #25
robert97dodge
Six Point

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ.../dp/B004R7L7YU

This is what I’m using. Works great for the price. One of the places I hunt I use my bike and I can ride it no problem with this. Load it down with a hog and ride out. Even hauled a 40lb bag of corn on it once.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #26
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Would yíall recommend a climber or ladder tree stand? Seems like more people use the ladder tree stands, or muddy is just good at advertising. Never used a tree stand before

Old 07-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #27
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

I use a muddy woodsman climber. Got it for 149.99 no tax and free shipping
Quote:
Would yíall recommend a climber or ladder tree stand? Seems like more people use the ladder tree stands, or muddy is just good at advertising. Never used a tree stand before

Old 07-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #28
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
I use a muddy woodsman climber. Got it for 149.99 no tax and free shipping

Lucky you, thatís $100 cheaper than what it is online. The little front bar doesnít get in your way when shooting?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #29
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Nope with a bow I just sit lower so when I stand it is lower down. For rifles it works as a decent shooting stand. It may still be on ruralking.com for 149.99
Quote:
Lucky you, thatís $100 cheaper than what it is online. The little front bar doesnít get in your way when shooting?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #30
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Also if anyone is looking for fishing rods, I've got a code for McCain fishing for 50% off your order. If anyone is interested lemme know

Old 07-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #31
robert97dodge
Six Point

I used the summit titan. It’s the biggest climbing stand they make. I’m a big fellow so I need a good one. I love them for gun hunting. Especially with all the pine areas we have. I can get 15-20 feet up and see over the underbrush. My goal this year is to finally take a deer with my bow from the ground. It’ll be a tough challenge but it’s my goal.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #32
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Yeah Iím a big guy too so I have to get a 300lb stand but Iíd like one thatís easy to carry. Trying to figure out which one will be better while carrying in a backpack and bow.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #33
robert97dodge
Six Point

Mines rated for 350lbs and I use every bit of that rating. ���� when I used my climber I don’t bring in my big pack. I’ll use a small back pack with my stuff in it. If I shoot something I’ll bring the climber back to the truck and get my frame pack. I also use a ghost blind and I do the same thing when I use it.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #34
forest-hunter
Eight Point

[QUOTE=robert97dodge;13465588]Mines rated for 350lbs and I use every bit of that rating. ���� when I used my climber I donít bring in my big pack. Iíll use a small back pack with my stuff in it. If I shoot something Iíll bring the climber back to the truck and get my frame pack. I also use a ghost blind and I do the same thing when I use it.[/QUOTE

Similar, Iíve found it challenging to carry the big pack with the climber, if I donít have my big pack I will at least pack a game bag in my small pack, itís hard to pack out a quartered mature animal in a game bag over your shoulder but it does work.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #35
robert97dodge
Six Point

Yeah last summer I was out scouting and shot 4 hogs. It was pretty warm that day but I had game bags with me and packed out 3 sets of backstrap and rear hind quarters. I used parachute cord to kind of hold it all together. It was a good mile back to the truck. I learned two lessons that day. One I needed a good frame pack and two I needed to bring more water!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #36
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Yeah last summer I was out scouting and shot 4 hogs. It was pretty warm that day but I had game bags with me and packed out 3 sets of backstrap and rear hind quarters. I used parachute cord to kind of hold it all together. It was a good mile back to the truck. I learned two lessons that day. One I needed a good frame pack and two I needed to bring more water!
Thatís hard work any day espically in the summer but sounds like quite an exciting and successful hunt.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #37
robert97dodge
Six Point

It was a good hunt. I was just out scouting and just happened to find some hogs which is usually how it works out. I actually shot two with one shot and didnít even realize it until I walked over to them.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #38
robert97dodge
Six Point

This is my set up for one of the places when I am hog hunting. I have my frame pack with a smaller pack that has knives, game bags, water and stuff I need. The bike gun mount can hold my slug gun, rifle, or rimfire gun depending on what I am hunting. I have been extremely impressed with how well this bike holds up. Last year when I got it I was weighing in around 350-360lbs and carried 40lb bags of corn and packed out hogs while riding that bike.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #39
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Robert, that’s awesome, good for you for being a heavy guy and still getting out in the back country, that weight must be mostly muscle. Like the set up brother.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #40
robert97dodge
Six Point

Quote:
Robert, that’s awesome, good for you for being a heavy guy and still getting out in the back country, that weight must be mostly muscle. Like the set up brother.

Yeah I am about 6'2" and pretty active so plenty of muscle as well. I get around pretty good for a big guy and never let that stop. I may not be as fast as some guys but I am a work horse. This was with my buck opening day of rifle last year and my nephews first deer. I will be in much better shape this year.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #41
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Heck yeh, that’s a dang nice buck.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #42
Reddock18
Spike

Great deer! This will be my first year to try and hunt public land, I canít wait to see what it brings

Reddock18 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #43
robert97dodge
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddock18 View Post
Great deer! This will be my first year to try and hunt public land, I canít wait to see what it brings

No better feeling than harvesting a deer on public land!
Old 07-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #44
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

I don't get home until Mid-November, so I will miss my annual opening weekend trip to the Moore. However, I will be going at the end of November, lol
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #45
Haulinbass02
Six Point

Hunt In: Parker County, Hood County, Palo Pinto County

Hey fellas, my brother and I are thinking real hard about hunting public land again as we canít stomach lease prices. Other than a few WMAs in Oklahoma, he keeps pushing Davy Crockett as he used to hunt there pretty exclusively. I donít particularly mind it so Iíll probably give it a go this year.
Key is Iím not off on weekends so can I expect there to be little to no pressure from other hunters during the week?
Also, being public land, am I correct in that you cannot leave stands out there? Not that I would because it would come up missing Iím sure.......and if we wanted to camp with an RV and genny, where would be the better places to access the forest from?

Thanks ahead of time!

Haulinbass02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #46
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

I'm not familiar with camping to hunt the NF, but as far as leaving stands out you can legally leave them no longer than 72 hours consecutively. As for lack of hunting pressure I can say there is oftentimes a lot less pressure during the week, Tuesday through Thursday have the lowest pressure from what I see, guess people don't wanna take off just to have to go back in to work the next day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulinbass02 View Post
Hey fellas, my brother and I are thinking real hard about hunting public land again as we canít stomach lease prices. Other than a few WMAs in Oklahoma, he keeps pushing Davy Crockett as he used to hunt there pretty exclusively. I donít particularly mind it so Iíll probably give it a go this year.
Key is Iím not off on weekends so can I expect there to be little to no pressure from other hunters during the week?
Also, being public land, am I correct in that you cannot leave stands out there? Not that I would because it would come up missing Iím sure.......and if we wanted to camp with an RV and genny, where would be the better places to access the forest from?

Thanks ahead of time!

Old 07-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #47
Haulinbass02
Six Point

Ok I guess figuring a way to lock the stands would be good if I leave them there the duration of my hunting....I have to look deeper into the camping thing because itís too far to drive there and back so staying several days is always good.
Also, IIRC baiting is prohibited?

Old 07-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #48
ChiefWhackABuck
Six Point

Not sure what IIRC is but yes, baiting is prohibited. At the SHNF station, the GW told me scents that imitate deer aren't considered baiting. As far as locking the stands up, I don't lock mine. If I leave it out, I bury it in the underbrush. Keeps the critters from tearing it up. I learned after I came up to a coon tearing into my seat while it was strapped to the tree one morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulinbass02 View Post
Ok I guess figuring a way to lock the stands would be good if I leave them there the duration of my hunting....I have to look deeper into the camping thing because itís too far to drive there and back so staying several days is always good.
Also, IIRC baiting is prohibited?

Old 07-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #49
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Scents that imitate deer are okay in the Davy Crockett (DC). Stands better to be locked on or covered up. Iíve seen people take RVís and campers to the horseshoe camp ground.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:59 AM   #50
Haulinbass02
Six Point

IIRC (if I remember correctly).....
We are going to try and make a trip out in a few weeks to look around.
Horseshoe campground is that the actual posted name of it or just what people refer to it as?