Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 06-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
venado
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb, Guadalupe and Caldwell Countys
Default It Is All About Water

Simons said that water is the key nutrient for deer in any geographic region of the state when it comes to the species’ nutrition. “Water is the most important nutrient in terms of ensuring proper physiological function,” he explained. “Water is intricately involved with the transport of other nutrients, oxygen and waste into and out of the cells. It contains several necessary electrolytes, is critical in the digestive process, and even acts as a cushioning component for joints, the spinal cord and the brain. Though water has no calories, it does serve as a medium for chemical reactions that are part of a whitetail’s bodily processes, including the metabolic reactions involved in energy production.” Anything landowners can do to ensure that premium water sources are available and that quality water is distributed during the summer’s heat is paramount for optimal deer performance.

https://www.texas-wildlife.org/resou...4-eb1c1ecd0f97
venado is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by venado View Post
Simons said that water is the key nutrient for deer in any geographic region of the state when it comes to the species’ nutrition. “Water is the most important nutrient in terms of ensuring proper physiological function,” he explained. “Water is intricately involved with the transport of other nutrients, oxygen and waste into and out of the cells. It contains several necessary electrolytes, is critical in the digestive process, and even acts as a cushioning component for joints, the spinal cord and the brain. Though water has no calories, it does serve as a medium for chemical reactions that are part of a whitetail’s bodily processes, including the metabolic reactions involved in energy production.” Anything landowners can do to ensure that premium water sources are available and that quality water is distributed during the summer’s heat is paramount for optimal deer performance.

It's A Lot about the water!!
The more, and clean, the better.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing Paul.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

I’m the only guy on our 2500 acre lease that has a water station. Lease only has a couple windmills on it. Hope it pays off
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Just for reference, right now my adult deer are drinking over 2 1/2 gallons each in 24 hrs.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
elgato
Ten Point

Couldn't guess how many miles of pvc we have run on our ranch with water troughs every km. When I first started I thought it was all about protein pellets. Being from La. I discounted water. Not any more. We place a premium on having solid water distribution all over the ranch and at many of the protein pens as well.
elgato is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:

Yessir, you are right. Especially in arid, dry areas. In SETx, where I hunt it is over looked because there is water every where.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #8
venado
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb, Guadalupe and Caldwell Countys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
Just for reference, right now my adult deer are drinking over 2 1/2 gallons each in 24 hrs.
That is an incredible statistic, thank you. We have no practical way of knowing what our water use is, but we have it readily available throughout the ranch because we know its importance.
venado is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

I have learned how much water means too.We added 3 waterers to our 230 ac,plus the trough at the well. The animals flock to the waterers.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #10
Reaper87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
I have learned how much water means too.We added 3 waterers to our 230 ac,plus the trough at the well. The animals flock to the waterers.
What kind of waterers did you make. I need to make one for my set up just need ideas.
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #11
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Quote:
That is an incredible statistic, thank you. We have no practical way of knowing what our water use is, but we have it readily available throughout the ranch because we know its importance.
Thanks.
Actually, I miss spoke. There are 10 adults and 18 twelve month olds in there. They drink 70 gallons in a day. So really, for all adults it would be more.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #12
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper87 View Post
What kind of waterers did you make. I need to make one for my set up just need ideas.
275 gallon totes piped to a small waterer sold at tractor supply.We sink the waterer in the ground. It is the red stall waterer they sell. The smaller the trough, waterer etc the better. Less evaporation.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #13
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

The first thing I did when I bought my property was to dig out ponds and lay water lines. I have 15 water sources or one every 70 acres. This really helps keep the critters dispersed and not to localized in one area.
TexasTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #14
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
Gotta account for evaporation too but that’s amazing.

A lactating 1100lb cow will drink 20 Gallons at 70 degrees.

Nuts.

Last edited by Encinal; 06-18-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #15
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county
Default It Is All About Water

More water spread out the better. The less stress for your deer traveling to get water the better. Almost 10 years ago we ran 3 miles of water line and T’d it off to 5 troughs. The more years we have had these troughs out he more deer use them.
I’m working on tapping in to the line for a couple more troughs.

Water is the key to life, especially in south Texas in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top