Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Default 20 Guage Slugs for Public Land

Looking for recommendations for rifled slugs for a 20 guage. I hunt public land that allows shotgun slugs. I wanted a 12 guage but after shooting 12 guage slugs at the range I decided that was not for me. I bought a Mossberg 20 guage rifled barrel with a Deadringer 2.5x20 scope. I was concerned if a 20 guage would efficiently kill deer and hogs but it is so much easier to shoot. So, what slug is best???

Thanks,
Lance
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Leverhunter
Six Point

I have used the Federal Premium Trophy Copper sabot with excellent results out to 140 yards. Not cheap but after site in I have never had to shoot twice.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

2 3/4 or 3"?
Old 05-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #4
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Any advice?
Old 05-25-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
Gobblerslayer
Four Point

I shoot a older Remington LT20 2 3/4"with a fully rifled slug barrel with iron sights. I have used Lightfield Hybrids and the Hornady SST and they are very accurate but recently sticking with the Lightfields for now.
Gobblerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
krtnorris
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Ohio

I as well use a LT20 1100 and I use lightfields in a Hastings slug barrel. It shoots great. Each gun is different especially slug guns! Buy a few boxes of what you can afford and see what works.
krtnorris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
krtnorris
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Ohio

I use a 2 3/4 shell it kills deer man! My longest kill is 130 yards. Whatever pigs as well it hammers them hard. I like the 20 gauge for its recoil and it’s lighter for long treks into the Ohio woods. It’s never let me down even on big bucks it’s a deer killer! A lot of guys where I hunt use the 2 3/4 20 gauge lightfields as well.
krtnorris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose

Best advice I can share, buy several different brands, and get ready for lots of range time to finger out what your gun patterns the best.

I bought an Ultra slug hunter, and took a fair amount of time to find the right slugs. Some wouldn’t pattern for squat, also found the 2 3/4 patterned better than 3’s.

Also, make sure your mount bolts are torqued to specs, and use loctite on them.

Start at 50 yards, then move to 100 yards.

You could contact Texasgrown, or Bloodtrail... they both have extensive knowledge on slug guns, and both helped me tremendously.
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Thanks. I appreciate it
Old 06-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #10
robert97dodge
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/trinity/Nacogdoches county NF

I am shooting hornady super performance slugs. I tried federal first 2 3/4" and wasn't the best grouping. I have a big stack of different brads though I am gonna try one day when its not 100 degrees outside and find one thats more consistent. I am shooting the Savage 220 bolt action slug gun. Just got it in February and threw it together quick for a hunt
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

I have had great luck with the Hornadys in my 20ga 870 with a rifled slug barrel.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #12
Leverhunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
2 3/4 or 3"?
Apologizes for the slow response, I lost the post.

I use 3" for the extra range and my gun likes them. 2 3/4 are almost as good and worth a try.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #13
JasonS
Four Point

I have a 12g with slug barrel, it will group about 2" at 100 yards with 3"Remington accu tip. It is riffled barrel on a cheap maverick 88 pump. It kicks quite a bit, more so than any thing else ive shot.
I did some reading, t seems the lightfields have a following on a few forums in slug hunting states.
I also read that shooting a slug rifle is different, in that the slug is still coming out of the barrel as the gun rises, d/t the slower speeds. It states actively pushing down on the barrel if on a rest, or actively pulling down on the forend if shooting free hand: to help accuracy.
I havnt shot a deer with mine yet, only saw one deer while hunting with it. It was in my earlier years of hunting and a small spike, so would have considered it, but felt bad blasting that little deer with big slug. Honestly didn't think there would be much left.
Ive never tried 2 3/4, though I started shooting Muzzleloader this year (figured I try a late season buck, A few guys on here seem to have luck). On the Muzzleloader there are countless people recommending not load full capacity, d/t decreased accuracy/more recoil. So a lot of guys are shooting less grain and less powder getting better combinations.
Good luck, post how you do, Im interested.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #14
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Send Bloodtrail a msg. He is a slug gun guru to say the least!
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
Falling
Six Point

Opps misread thought you were asking about the gun ;-).
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #16
Johnny44
Six Point

The whole shotgun slug business is funky.

I have a cheap Mossberg 20 with modified choke tubes and a 2.5 Weaver that shoots one hole groups at 100 yards with the slugger high velocitys. I can’t even get that out of my Savage 220 Stainless Laminate with any sabot slug.

You really can’t go on a recommendation, you have to try several.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 05:46 AM   #17
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....

Ah yes, a slug question. Welcome to the awesome world of chucking massive chunks of lead on game.

Slugs can be extremely accurate out to 300 yards. There’s a YouTube video of three guys using the same gun (Savage 220) and the same type slug (3” remmy accutips) and all shot and killed deer at 300 yards.

The drawback from shooting slugs is they can be expensive, especially shooting sabot slugs(pronounced ‘say-bow’).

I have 5 dedicated slug guns:

-835 fully rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount
-HR Ultra Slug hunter in 12 ga
-HR Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 ga
-savage 220
-Maverick 88 slugger (smoothbore)

In terms of rifled barrel, they all shoot different slugs better than the next, however, I have found the most consistent accuracy with Remington Accutips, both 3” and 2.75”, depending on the gun.

Ive heard a lot about Hornady SST sabots, but NONE of my guns shoot them well. My 220 can’t hold 10” at 50 yards, so I say clear of them. They may work for you, though.

I reload 99% of my slugs these days. I found I can tailor many different slug loads with multiple guns cheaper and with the same, or better accuracy, in some cases.

I would start with Remington Accutips. Chances are, you won’t depart from them. Buy a couple of 3” and 2.75” slugs and give them a whirl. For example, the Savage 220 was designed to be used with 3” Accutips, but mine shoots 2.75” a little better.

I have a Facebook page on buckshot and Slug reloading of you every want to step to the dark side. It’s really not that hard and a lot of the groundwork has been done by slug chuckers like myself who can steer you on the right path. We’re also sponsored by Ballistic Products which cuts us a deal on shipping when ordering from them:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/213522172431808

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 05:50 AM   #18
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Also, stay clear of Foster style slugs (rifled slugs) with rifled barrels. They are designed for smoothbore barrels and will do nothing for accuracy and they will lead your barrel.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #19
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
Ah yes, a slug question. Welcome to the awesome world of chucking massive chunks of lead on game.

Slugs can be extremely accurate out to 300 yards. There’s a YouTube video of three guys using the same gun (Savage 220) and the same type slug (3” remmy accutips) and all shot and killed deer at 300 yards.

The drawback from shooting slugs is they can be expensive, especially shooting sabot slugs(pronounced ‘say-bow’).

I have 5 dedicated slug guns:

-835 fully rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount
-HR Ultra Slug hunter in 12 ga
-HR Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 ga
-savage 220
-Maverick 88 slugger (smoothbore)

In terms of rifled barrel, they all shoot different slugs better than the next, however, I have found the most consistent accuracy with Remington Accutips, both 3” and 2.75”, depending on the gun.

Ive heard a lot about Hornady SST sabots, but NONE of my guns shoot them well. My 220 can’t hold 10” at 50 yards, so I say clear of them. They may work for you, though.

I reload 99% of my slugs these days. I found I can tailor many different slug loads with multiple guns cheaper and with the same, or better accuracy, in some cases.

I would start with Remington Accutips. Chances are, you won’t depart from them. Buy a couple of 3” and 2.75” slugs and give them a whirl. For example, the Savage 220 was designed to be used with 3” Accutips, but mine shoots 2.75” a little better.

I have a Facebook page on buckshot and Slug reloading of you every want to step to the dark side. It’s really not that hard and a lot of the groundwork has been done by slug chuckers like myself who can steer you on the right path. We’re also sponsored by Ballistic Products which cuts us a deal on shipping when ordering from them:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/213522172431808

This is great. Thanks for the info. I know my gun and scope are not the best but it is all I can afford and I am hard on equipment. It's good for me. My plan was to sight it in using 2 3/4" Rem Accutips. Will 2 3/4 kill deer and hogs effectively? Is there any advantage of 3" over 2 3/4?

Last edited by U.S.ArmyRetired; 06-12-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #20
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Only real advantage is if your gun happens to like the 2-3/4" over the 3". Of the slug guns I own, I have a H&R USH that is like that. It preffers the 2-3/4 over the 3" of the same type/brand. I have another that has a 3-1/2": chamber. But dose well with a different brand in 3".

Accutips are a good starting point for a riffled barrel. But don't be afraid to try other brands and loads too. You never know if you'll get better accuracy out of it till you try something else too. Kinda like people that like different foods, every gun is different. And likes a certain kind better than the others. A general diet of some foods can provide good results by many. But there are some who do better with certain foods than what is served to many.

Slugs ain't cheap either. But what do you want? A gun that shoots lights out to it's max potential? Or just a "so so" shooter? So step beyond and try many. And keep records of what you try.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-12-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #21
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Only real advantage is if your gun happens to like the 2-3/4" over the 3". Of the slug guns I own, I have a H&R USH that is like that. It preffers the 2-3/4 over the 3" of the same type/brand. I have another that has a 3-1/2": chamber. But dose well with a different brand in 3".

Accutips are a good starting point for a riffled barrel. But don't be afraid to try other brands and loads too. You never know if you'll get better accuracy out of it till you try something else too. Kinda like people that like different foods, every gun is different. And likes a certain kind better than the others. A general diet of some foods can provide good results by many. But there are some who do better with certain foods than what is served to many.

Slugs ain't cheap either. But what do you want? A gun that shoots lights out to it's max potential? Or just a "so so" shooter? So step beyond and try many. And keep records of what you try.
Thanks. My goal is to be able to put down a deer or hog at 100 yds. If 2 3/4 will get that done without tearing my shoulder apart, that will be great.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #22
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

There is no game in North America that a 20 ya accutips won’t take down out to 100 yards. Even further on deer sized game.

There’s an old wives tale in the slug world that says if your chamber is 3”, then 3” shells are more accurate due to less “jump” the slug makes to the lands and grooves. Like Texasbound stated, I too have prove that theory wrong countless times.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #23
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
There is no game in North America that a 20 ya accutips won’t take down out to 100 yards. Even further on deer sized game.

There’s an old wives tale in the slug world that says if your chamber is 3”, then 3” shells are more accurate due to less “jump” the slug makes to the lands and grooves. Like Texasbound stated, I too have prove that theory wrong countless times.

Thanks brother. Sending you a pm.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #24
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Returned

Old 06-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #25
RShockley
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

I have always liked the hornady sst slugs but would recommend the advice given above. Each gun is different. Buy a few different brands and see what your gun shoots best.
RShockley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 05:02 AM   #26
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Thanks
Old 06-16-2018, 06:02 AM   #27
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

No problem with Slugs game mentioned...What ever shoots well in your gun...Make sure you got plenty long eye relief on scope...or you will get shooters cresent above eye..The recoil from those 3"slugs from a bench can be eye opening and closeing..
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #28
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
No problem with Slugs game mentioned...What ever shoots well in your gun...Make sure you got plenty long eye relief on scope...or you will get shooters cresent above eye..The recoil from those 3"slugs from a bench can be eye opening and closeing..
Going with 2 3/4 for that reason.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #29
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

So Ballistic Products are selling demilled Federal Trophy Copper sabots, Hydro-shok and Truball Foster slugs for your own reloading. I loaded up some using 25 grs of Unique and got a velocity of 1450 with outstanding accuracy and recoil less than a 20 ga slug. I’ll post the link to the vid I did later.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #30
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

I would get some of these from bloodtrail http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...t=hagerman+hog
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #31
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
I would get some of these from bloodtrail http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...t=hagerman+hog

You taking about those fullbore zinc slugs or the segmenting Steel slugs?

Old 08-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #32
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

I have shot federal and Hornady SST and all the ones have grouped well at 100yrd out of my 20ga savage slug gun. Shot a deer with the SST and killed the deer. Not sure if shot was bad or bullet did something funky, but went in front quarter and ended in hind quarter.

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2018, 09:23 PM   #33
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
I have shot federal and Hornady SST and all the ones have grouped well at 100yrd out of my 20ga savage slug gun. Shot a deer with the SST and killed the deer. Not sure if shot was bad or bullet did something funky, but went in front quarter and ended in hind quarter.

I’m sending my 200 to the famous Randy Fritz from Tarhunt Slug guns for a custom barrel, glass bedding, and a little action work. He’s building this test gun for me to review on my YouTube channel and Facebook page (Buck and Slug Reloaders).

Old 08-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #34
Ispdnxs
Four Point

Quote:
I’m sending my 200 to the famous Randy Fritz from Tarhunt Slug guns for a custom barrel, glass bedding, and a little action work. He’s building this test gun for me to review on my YouTube channel and Facebook page (Buck and Slug Reloaders).

Nice! I’ve been wanting one of their bolt slug guns for a while now. Really hard to find used and darn expensive new. Look forward to hearing how yours turns out. Did they give you a timeline on the work?
Ispdnxs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #35
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispdnxs View Post
Nice! I’ve been wanting one of their bolt slug guns for a while now. Really hard to find used and darn expensive new. Look forward to hearing how yours turns out. Did they give you a timeline on the work?

Randy said a couple of weeks. I have 5 other slug guns so I’m in no real hurry.