Crape Myrtles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crape Myrtles?

Do any of you have crape myrtles in your yards? Do you use them as a big shade type tree or just an accent tree? I have a spot in semi middle of my backyard. Wondering how it might look? Hold up in strong winds?

Not much to them in terms of shade, have two medium sized in my front yard, mostly accent and border use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have seven total. Three black diamond pure white down the side of my driveway. Two first editions midnight magic in my flower beds near windows. And two in the backyard as accent trees. Great trees very heat tolerant and low maintenance. I trim them back in the winter.

Comment

I got a few. Provides shade for me.

Comment

Depends on the variety you have. I have two on either side of my house that are 30 ft. tall with about a 25 ft. crown (nice small shade).Four others, approx 10 ft. accent, and two dwarf at 5 ft.
          Check with a reputable landscape company or nursery to see what they offer or can order for you.

Comment

The two I have near windows provide excellent shade

Comment

Hurricane Harvey took out good mesquite tree. Gotta replace the spot. Spot gets a lot of wind on windy days. Dont know if we want garden spot type set up with decent size crape myrtle, or bigger tree like oak or another mesquite. Right now nothing there, except blazing sunshine.

Comment

Bring the perfect plant home with FastGrowingTrees.com. Find privacy trees, house plants, fruit trees and more with free shipping on orders over $49.

Comment

Got a big one in our front yard. We never sit out there so shade not really anything for us. It’s really pretty for about a month. Our is weighted down with blooms right now, Limbs almost touching the ground. I would think you have better options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Really not shade to "sit" under. More for shade for the yard area. Have a 9 year old oak on other side of the yard. Planting another 10ft tall starter tree out there gonna take years before its any type of decent size shade giver. Unless we dish our 500+ for a bigger tree. What yall think?

Comment

Oaks for sit under shade or yard shade would be they way I would lean towards.

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                        Do any of you have crape myrtles in your yards? Do you use them as a big shade type tree or just an accent tree? I have a spot in semi middle of my backyard. Wondering how it might look? Hold up in strong winds?
                        They are tough and hard to kill. If you let them get tall and trim them appropriately, they are a great tree.

Comment

Me too. But 15 footer was 300.00. Ouch. Gotta do some shopping around. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                            Me too. But 15 footer was 300.00. Ouch. Gotta do some shopping around. Haha
                            Buy a smaller one (~$100) and water the crap out of it plus some fertilizer. It'll that tall next year
                            Last edited by TxAg; 06-06-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Water and fertilize a nice live oak. The wait will be worth it

Comment

Working...
                              X