.223 black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.223 black

anyone use Hornady 75 gr. BTHP for hogs?

guess not.

Comment

IMO never use HP anything on hogs, SP or PSP is way better.

I'd even use a FMJ and do a head shot versus using a HP

Comment

Only thing I ever use for pigs is cheap FMJ

Comment

Head shoot them with anything I have in .223

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have used the Hornady Black BTHPs and ear holing them dropped em just as well as anything else

Comment

I've shot it in my ruger ranch 223 to try a heavier/longer bullet. Dropped 2 pigs with it out to about 160. The first one had to be shot again but it was due to poor shot placement on the first round

Comment

I’ve shot it in my 1:8 wylde. It groups the worst of any ammo I’ve shot through it @ 100. I used it one night hunting a feeder with thermal @ 40 yards a ear holed a 3 legged boar. Worked as good as anything in the ear

If the gun likes it I’d shoot it. I’m not worried about the hollow point. I’ve killed over 100 with .22 hollow points
                But my gun don’t like it

Comment

Sure any of them work if shot perfect in the ear hole. My thought was if you hit shoulder or bone the HP may not penetrate enough.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Sure any of them work if shot perfect in the ear hole. My thought was if you hit shoulder or bone the HP may not penetrate enough.
                    Killed several dozen with 45gr Remington hollow point with body shots. Their hogs not rhinos
                    There are other “perfect “ rounds and I don’t prefer them.... but they do work.

For the record 62 gr fusions are my favorite box ammo for mine

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      Killed several dozen with 45gr Remington hollow point with body shots. Their hogs not rhinos
                      There are other “perfect “ rounds and I don’t prefer them.... but they do work.

For the record 62 gr fusions are my favorite box ammo for mine
                      I know each firearm likes a load that others will hate. common. going to try a lot of different types. find the mid ground. where my new boss will let me hunt, cant always get a good head shot, or body for that fact. he is over run with them and they are moving fast. finding food at a fast pace. range will be 50 to 150 yds.

Comment

Working...
                      X