No announcement yet.

Saltwater Fishing Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnny, if you're out runnin' round looking at rods, you might run down to Katy and stop in at the Laguna Rods place... It's on the Katy-Hockley Cut-off road at Morton Ranch Rd.... not too far outside 99... Might be worth it. They make some fine rods too.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
      What's the length?

I'm leaning towards the Waterloo Salinity but can't get myself to buy one online. I'm going to have to go into Academy and handle one. Will head that way after lunch tomorrow.
      I think it's 6'6" its just a tad shorter than what you are looking for. my wife uses a salinity spinning rod an i love it but do not care for the handle on the casting rod. I think the best place local to put hands on a waterloo is the Academy on lake woodlands dr.

Comment

I like my FTU Green Rods.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy D Mercer View Post
          I know its old school but i love my 7' Ugly Stiks......

Ugly Stiks are about all I fish with now. Too many much more expensive rods have broken on me after a long wade. Mostly at the worst time for it to happen...when I was on good fish.
          Only Ugly Stik I ever broke was one that got slammed in a truck door.

Comment

Originally posted by RLUM View Post
            I think it's 6'6" its just a tad shorter than what you are looking for. my wife uses a salinity spinning rod an i love it but do not care for the handle on the casting rod. I think the best place local to put hands on a waterloo is the Academy on lake woodlands dr.
            Yes sir, I appreciate you offering up that rod but definitely need one around the 6'10" to 7' range. That's the Academy I will be going to. The one in Conroe usually doesn't have much to offer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m a big fan of Hurricane Calico Jack rods. For $50 they have a soft tip, fast action blank, Fuji micro guides, and enough backbone to handle a fish. Sensitive enough to feel it bumping along an oyster bar or a crab messing with your bait. You can also let your buddies who aren’t experienced fishermen use them without worrying about damage.

Only downside now is the only place that carries them besides online is ****’s, who I now refuse to do business with due to their recent choices.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Johnny, if you're out runnin' round looking at rods, you might run down to Katy and stop in at the Laguna Rods place... It's on the Katy-Hockley Cut-off road at Morton Ranch Rd.... not too far outside 99... Might be worth it. They make some fine rods too.
                I won't make it over to Katy but I have seen the Laghnas and they make a fine rod. I am heading to north Houston to visit a customer and will stop by The Woodlands Academy and the way back up and fondle all of their rods.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                  I really like my Waterloo salinity. I plan on order a fishstix here soon.

I prefer 6’6 to 6’9 with 7 inch handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I was actually looking at the fishstix last night...really liking the 7'0" medium kitchen sink! Looks like they make a darn good rod.

I swung by The Woodlands Academy yesterday and didnt see anything I liked and they didnt have any Waterloo's. I'm wanting a split grip and they didnt have many to choose from.

I got it narrowed down to 3 and looks like I will just order online.

Waterloo Salinity 7'0" ml

Fishstix "Kitchen Sink"

Laguna Liquid 7'0" ml

One I haven't seen mentioned in here is Castaway. I had a couple for years and they held up to my abuse. If I wasn't wanting to try something new, I'd probably snag a couple more of them up.

Comment

The castaway Skeleton is a nice rod, i held one at academy in New Caney the other day.

I am going fishstix next, but im having Hunter do custom colors to match a Concept Z.

the kitchen sink I think is a really nice all around rod.

Comment

I posted these on the other thread, but I sure like this new spiral guide set up! Only got to try it in my little pond at the back of my pasture... it's a little under an acre, but I could throw that rubber frog with no extra weight plum out on the bank on the other side of the pond!! The guy matched the colors of the rod wraps perfectly with the reel! This is my first split grip too, but I think I'm going to like it... As I said in the other fishin' thread, the first thing that struck me was how accurately I was able to cast this thing... It's like a 5 foot bass rod cast one handed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7416.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	24539281

Name:	IMG_7417.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	24539282

Name:	IMG_7418.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	24539283

Name:	IMG_7419.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	24539284

Comment

Good looking set up Charlie.

Comment

Man, it's a casting son-of-a-gun too Johnny! Hope to try it out on some trout maybe this weekend... Have no desire to go fight the wind that's blowin' right now... maybe it'll lay some by Saturday...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Man, it's a casting son-of-a-gun too Johnny! Hope to try it out on some trout maybe this weekend... Have no desire to go fight the wind that's blowin' right now... maybe it'll lay some by Saturday...
                            Meet us over on somerville sat am and see how it'll do on some whites/crappie

Comment

Thats a good looking rig Charlie! I would break it first trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                                Meet us over on somerville sat am and see how it'll do on some whites/crappie
                                Would love to, but dang, that's a fer piece for me! May go drop my flat in at Stingaree Saturday morning if I can get it ready... checked everything out this past weekend... gotta do a couple little things to it (like new batteries for the troller...). Totally missed all the early spring fishin'... was so looking forward to that Chandeleur trip! And it ain't looking good on rebook dates either...

Comment

Working...
                                X