DEF filling problem on 6.7L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DEF filling problem on 6.7L

I have a 2011 F250 6.7L. I periodically check the information screen to determine if I need to add DEF or not. When it says less than 1/2 full I add enough to top it off. Yesterday I saw the message that it was less than 1/2 full so I attempted to add fluid. Almost immediately the def started coming back out the fill tube like it was full & I know it's not. Can there be a vacuum lock or something else thats preventing the def to be added? Anyone else had this happen?

Thanks!
    Aggie Dad

Had/have the same problem with my 2015, I usually wait until the notice pops up before I fill it back up.

Comment

I don't have a ford but do punch a vent hole in the bottle. It helps the flow a bunch. You may be air locked.

Comment

Mine is doing it as well (2016)

Will be going into the dealer next time it shows up. I believe it is going to be a sensor issue. Tank thinks it needs more but it doesn't.

Following along to see what others have experienced

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one. I know it is supposed to hold 5 gallons but, even if I wait until it says I have 100 miles left, I can't even put a full 2.5 gallons in before it spills out.

Hopefully, someone here can shed some light on this. 2015 F-250

Comment

I had that problem on my 2012 and they had to replace the float valve or something. I would start filling the tank and after a few minutes it would start pouring out. I was lucky and mine was still under warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie Dad View Post
              I have a 2011 F250 6.7L. I periodically check the information screen to determine if I need to add DEF or not. When it says less than 1/2 full I add enough to top it off. Yesterday I saw the message that it was less than 1/2 full so I attempted to add fluid. Almost immediately the def started coming back out the fill tube like it was full & I know it's not. Can there be a vacuum lock or something else thats preventing the def to be added? Anyone else had this happen?

Thanks!
              Aggie Dad
              Delete it, problem solved.

But seriously, can you get some sort of a flexible tube to touch the bottom of the def tank? At least you know if its clear then.

Comment

air locked i had that happen to my 2011

i ran a line down about two foot into it and then it started working. I just had to run it down move it around and then pull it out.

I think it basically pierced the air bubble.

Comment

Air lock had that issue on my 11. I had a hang on stand cable lock that I would put down there and it would fix it.

Comment

Thanks Obama

Comment

Air lock for sure, run a cable or hose down the nozzle and it will work. Mine does this every so often and this always fixes it.

Comment

This happens on my 2016 also.

Comment

TBH to the rescue!!! found a piece of tubing about a 1/4" diameter that after getting it to the bottom & wiggling it around released the air pocket. Heard a "burp" then a small amount of def came back out. Put almost a full 2 1/2 gal jug back in! Thanks for the help!!!

Comment

Just as a note... it is better to wait a couple of hundred miles after seeing the LESS THAN 1/2 warning the first time before filling the tank... it will take a full jug if you wait...

As for burping the tank, I've never had to do that... but I travel bumpy roads and park on an incline frequently..

Comment

If you use the adapter that comes with the ford def bottles it will not do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X