Don't tally in tagging your deer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't tally in tagging your deer....

Our ranch is way off the beaten path, and I fully admit to being cavalier about getting deer tagged right away, because, in 20 years, we've never had a game warden visit us unless we called him (poaching issues). Well, last Sunday, he showed up and found my quartered spike in an ice chest with no tag. He found my father out in the pasture, and my father showed him the tagged antler sitting on our work bench. No citation was issued, he just told my father to make sure that the tag was kept in the ice chest with the meat. You just never know when a warden will show up, so save yourself some trouble, and possibly some money and get your deer properly tagged right away.

I'll be in trouble if one ever shows up to my camp.

Comment

Yep, that tag is a carcass tag that stays with the meat if the meat and antlers are separated. Many wardens won't have much of a sense of humor for violating this law. It's been around for many years now, probably more than 10... It changed some time back... Another thing they absolutely have no slack on is not filling out the log on the back of your license... I used to tear off all the unused tags from my license after the hunting seasons were all done (after spring turkey) so my now "fishing" license was less bulky... Don't do that. If a deer tag is missing, there had better be an entry for it on the back of your license...

Comment

What I've done for years whether buck or doe is skin the Achilles tendon on the back leg and attach the tag there loosely usually with a string from a corn sack. When the deer is skinned, the tag will just pull right through the hole in the hide as you pull it down, plus by leaving some slack in it, a warden can hold the tag and read both sides of it without having to manipulate the hind quarter if it's in an ice chest...

Don't know why anyone would ever get into trouble if a game warden came into camp and checked the game... It is VERY easy to comply with the regulations... that is unless you indeed have ill intent. In that case, you get what you deserve (I hope).

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Yep, that tag is a carcass tag that stays with the meat if the meat and antlers are separated. Many wardens won't have much of a sense of humor for violating this law. It's been around for many years now, probably more than 10... It changed some time back... Another thing they absolutely have no slack on is not filling out the log on the back of your license... I used to tear off all the unused tags from my license after the hunting seasons were all done (after spring turkey) so my now "fishing" license was less bulky... Don't do that. If a deer tag is missing, there had better be an entry for it on the back of your license...
          We are MLDP, so there is no logging.

Comment

I used to tear off all the unused tags from my license after the hunting seasons were all done (after spring turkey) so my now "fishing" license was less bulky... Don't do that. If a deer tag is missing, there had better be an entry for it on the back of your license...
            I always did the same. Somebody should challenge this if given a ticket. They would have to prove that you killed a deer. It's my license and I'll tear off a tag if I want to. Can someone reference a law that's says you can't?

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
              Sure there is. You do have a log book in camp don't you?

Comment

opening morning I was skinning out a spike I had just killed when the local game warden showed up I had forgot to fill out my log on the back of the license. He gave me a warning. He very politely scolded me on how important it was to do this before the deer is moved just like tagging it. Of course I thanked him for not citing me.

Comment

The two tickets I have seen written to leasemates over the years -one was for improper tag because the hunter cut out the wrong day (5th instead of the 6th or whatever) and the other was for not filling out the log. No slack cut.

Comment

Another thing they absolutely have no slack on is not filling out the log on the back of your license... I used to tear off all the unused tags from my license after the hunting seasons were all done (after spring turkey) so my now "fishing" license was less bulky... Don't do that. If a deer tag is missing, there had better be an entry for it on the back of your license...
                    Yup. I paid $175 for forgetting to fill out the log on back of the license. GW said he totally understood that it was an honest mistake, then he said "but you're getting a citation anyway" with a big grin on his face. He totally had our backs another time though and hammered the guy next to us for hunter harassment, so a little citation for me screwing up was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post

Uh oh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

good reminder. our place is out there too and we get pretty lackadaisical on tagging immediately. always tag mind you. but, not as quick as we're supposed to.

Comment

they may question you on it, but I don't think a ticket for that would stand up in court.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            Sure there is. You do have a log book in camp don't you?
                            X2.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                              The two tickets I have seen written to leasemates over the years -one was for improper tag because the hunter cut out the wrong day (5th instead of the 6th or whatever) and the other was for not filling out the log. No slack cut.
                              If everything had been done properly and the hunter accidentally cut the date out by just one day off, but still logged it correctly on the back (which could be very easy to do with that small print), then that warden is definitely not out there as a friend of the people that pay his salary and is just plain rude. I've gone on 5 day hunts before and not known what the actual date was. It happens. I know, the hunter messed up, but there are exceptions and that should be a judgment one by the warden. Of all the things to ticket someone for, that is just a joke to write a citation on.

I know, it's my opinion and the hunter did something wrong, but good grief, give me a freaking break. A day off on the tag?

Now, if you come back with a Paul Harvey "The Rest of the Story" with a lot more in it, then I may change my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X