Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-15-2017, 04:19 AM   #1
Setxbowhunter58
Six Point

Hunt In: Hillister, Texas
Wink Box Blind vs Treestand

It seems like everybody on here is building a dang box blind. So here is my question to all of you who are afraid of heights. I hunt in East Texas and it just seems like putting a box blind up 30 yards away from corn would narrow your chances of seeing quality size deer (the smart ones). Am I dumb for thinking this or what? Let me know what results y'all have because my Nephew is just getting into bowhunting and on some mornings it would be nice to sit in a stand with him to teach him the basics before throwing him up in a tree
Setxbowhunter58 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

East Texas deer are the smartest deer in the Country. I do believe box blinds can limit your chances. There's always the one or two exceptions. Hunting true low or no fence bucks here is very hard and your best chance is for them to never see your set up.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 06:29 AM   #3
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

I agree, i hunt out of tree stand at my house, my lease is in west Texas and there are no trees good enough for tree stands so I use a double bull. Very much prefer a tree though.
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

I have a box blind. They get use to it.
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
DeepDownSouth
Six Point

Hunt In: Ol Mexico
Default Blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal View Post
I agree, i hunt out of tree stand at my house, my lease is in west Texas and there are no trees good enough for tree stands so I use a double bull. Very much prefer a tree though.
This ^^^^^ not all areas has trees to get into
DeepDownSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #6
Jtrage
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

We have a mix. Box mainly for hanging out with the kids. (5 and 7) We don't have a lot of huge deer but I have killed a good number and decent size in one of of box blinds on a power line. Never under the feeder though.
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
Full Throttle
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK

My personal opinion is that no matter how high you climb, a tree stand can never conceal your scent as well as an enclosed blind.
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
My personal opinion is that no matter how high you climb, a tree stand can never conceal your scent as well as an enclosed blind.

If you open a window then your scent is not concealed
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #9
Full Throttle
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
If you open a window then your scent is not concealed

I leave the windows closed till itís time to shoot.
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
jrynef
Four Point

Hunt In: Hopkins, Robertson, Burleson Co.

I personally prefer a treestand. But around where I live, most people will hunt nothing but a box blind. I feel more confined when hunting in a box blind, but I think you have a better view from a tree/ladder stand. All depends on your setup, and whichever is more enjoyable.

Last edited by jrynef; 11-15-2017 at 07:32 AM.
jrynef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #11
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
I agree with this. Even with a window or two open, the blind will conceal at least something. However, I prefer being elevated in a tree versus on the ground in a blind just from a sight perspective. I like to be able to see more!
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #12
MnM
Four Point

I like the convenience of a blind, but hate staring out of that window the whole time. I hunt out of both though.
MnM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
reddogdan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

Get ready for wasps in those box blinds. I even have them in my elevated pop up
reddogdan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

How does a tree stand increase your view or chances of seeing more area?
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #15
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I have hunted East Texas my whole life and generally like you want to be as high as possible while bow hunting.
That being said I have a rifle stand where I can see 250-300 yards worth of fire lanes and consistently see more deer within 50 yards of the box than anywhere else. It has me seriously considering a permanent box blind at one of my bow sets that is hard to hunt due to deer coming from every direction.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #16
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraftka View Post
How does a tree stand increase your view or chances of seeing more area?
If I'm sitting in the hill country in my pop up blind on the ground, my view is constricted by small, scattered cedar bushes and various other low brush. If I'm say 15-20 ft. in a tree, I can see over all of that and see much more of the property. I can see animals moving that aren't just coming into corn.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Just sit on the ground and camo yourself up as a meth manufacturer. East Texas deer see that everyday.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #18
CoolArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr county

I built a box blind this year and l really enjoy it. I’m too old to be climbing a tripod and here in south Texas we don’t have many tall trees. I also bought a real nice comfy reclining office chair.
CoolArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #19
76aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co.

Logan, I agree with AntlerCollector that East Tx. deer may be the smartest in the country. I use both box blinds and tree stands and both have their place. I love the visibility you have from a treestand but when it is really cold, windy and even raining, the box blind is the way to go. When the wind is right, I have had bucks 3 or 4 feet from my box blind. A box does not eliminate scent but I believe it helps contain it somewhat but you always need to consider the wind no matter where or how you are hunting. I first started bowhunting in East Tx and most of my hunting was done from homemade ladder stands or the old Baker climbers. Depending on how old and big a guy your nephew is you may want to consider one of the double ladder stands on the market. You could sit with him and get him first hand instruction on hunting and safety tips.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #20
jb1312
Six Point

Hunt In: South TX, Throckmorton and Shackelford County

I prefer a tree hands down. When I set out feeders, I set out around areas that will have a tree to hang a stand in.

Have shot some deer out of pop ups but very much prefer tree stand when that's an option.
jb1312 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #21
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

I see more deer from my treestand and hand corn spot than I do with my tank blind and feeder. This spot is in Tyler county. I've hunted west Texas/panhandle area and the box blinds were not an issue.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #22
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

I like both. However like others have said, there aren't a whole lot of trees where I hunt and the few I do have aren't straight or tall, etc. You can generally see more out of a tree stand (360 view vs limited by windows) but you are also more visible. Sitting in a ground blind I can move my feet around, shift my weight, scratch my...ears, etc to stay comfortable and I'm still concealed. I can also grab a little nap in a blind without having to worry about falling. Tree stands are cooler (with breeze and shade, etc) when it is hot but I can wear shorts, etc in a ground blind when it is hot which helps balance it out. On the flip side when it is cold or rainy a ground blind gives you a little more warmth and keeps you dry. I would say I hunt out of my tank blinds 80% of the time and my tree stand the other 20% of the time.

Last edited by cehorn; 11-15-2017 at 08:50 AM.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #23
BigValley
Four Point

Hunt In: Freestone County, Kimble County

We hunt box blinds for rifles and stick to tripods/lean to tree stands for bow hunting. Put on full camo, spray on the scent-away, and wear rubber boots
BigValley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #24
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

I have, and like both. I love being up in a tree, but it doesn't give me much of an advantage where I hunt. The cover is so heavy, you still can't see anything moving. You pretty much have to just sit and wait. I have cut shooting lanes in all directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogdan View Post
Get ready for wasps in those box blinds. I even have them in my elevated pop up
You sir, need a 'NO PEST' strip. Put it in your blind, it will be smelly for a few days, but wasps and other insects will not come around. It will last an entire season. I put 2 per year in my blinds (every 6 months) and haven't seen a wasp since I started.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hot-Shot-...&wl13=&veh=sem
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #25
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

20 foot ladder stand is my preference. In the elements
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #26
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere i can

I much prefer a tree stand because I feel like I'm more connected with my surroundings but there are times when a ground blind is the way to go ( no trees/cover big enough to conceal a tree or tripod. Or in bad weather. When its 25/30 degrees and misty freezing rain with a strong north wind then a ground blind is a goooooood thing).
I say use both.
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #27
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Box is (can be) like being indoors.Tree stand is like being in elements and alway a chance of Falling....There is a place for both when Young...but the day will come that (either Box
Blind or Coffin )will be Manditory
I could climb like a Squirrel tell about 60..Knees don't allow anymore
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #28
MagicBlade
Eight Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

I have both and enjoy both. I hunt the one that best fits the weather, wind and my ability to stay awake!
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #29
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Some like box blinds, some like pop-ups, some like building a brush blind, some like ladder stands, some like tree stands.

Some like Ford trucks, some like Chevy trucks, some like Toyota trucks, some like Nissan trucks, some like Dodge trucks.

As I've gotten older I would rather stay on the ground lol.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #30
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

I don't want to be in the air, simply because I can find concealment where I hunt on the ground. I enjoy a good popup blind, but they're expensive and rarely last more than a couple solid years.

Lately I have had great success with brush blinds and even some spot and stalk on pigs. Nothing like bein on the ground 20 yards from an animal
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #31
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County
Default Box Blind vs Treestand

I have ladder stands (15+ high), tripods, boxes, brush blinds, pop ups....I've had equal luck out of all of them. The plus to a tripod or ladder for me is I can sneak one in and hunt immediately without any slowdown in deer/hog activity.
Skinny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #32
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I hunt them both. One of our spots has 3 options, box, ground and tree stand.

Too date the two largest deer Ive taken have been standing in almost the same spot. One from a box and one from a 14 foot lean up stand.
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #33
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyag15 View Post
If I'm sitting in the hill country in my pop up blind on the ground, my view is constricted by small, scattered cedar bushes and various other low brush. If I'm say 15-20 ft. in a tree, I can see over all of that and see much more of the property. I can see animals moving that aren't just coming into corn.
Ok ya i get that in a pop up blind, but I was thinking about a traditional box blind where you can have windows all the way around and you can elevate it. We have ground blinds and box blinds that are elevated two are 20ft in the air.

Now I do agree that being out int he open not in a blind you can hear better for sure but you can make and get a box blind up in the air and see all the way around as well.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #34
crumrw
Six Point

Hunt In: Hunt county

Box blinds over food plots (2-3 acres), tree stands in the woods. I much prefer hunting a treestand.
crumrw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #35
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setxbowhunter58 View Post
It seems like everybody on here is building a dang box blind. So here is my question to all of you who are afraid of heights. I hunt in East Texas and it just seems like putting a box blind up 30 yards away from corn would narrow your chances of seeing quality size deer (the smart ones). Am I dumb for thinking this or what? Let me know what results y'all have because my Nephew is just getting into bowhunting and on some mornings it would be nice to sit in a stand with him to teach him the basics before throwing him up in a tree
No, not necessarily dumb. Tactics for getting on to deer in general... or getting on to big deer specifically definitely vary from region to region. Tactics also vary by choice of weapon and the range you are trying to get at.

I hear people talking about using certain setups for bowhunting and I just don't get it... then I realize they are taking 40 yard shots... well, you can get away with a lot of stuff at 40 yards. You can get away with a lot of stuff at 100 too!

I let the region, the specific topography, and how I plan to bait (if I bait) dictate the setup.... I honestly prefer enclosed ground blinds for a few reasons over tree stands. 1) I like the fact that I can practice at home for that shot angle. 2) I don't have to give weather much thought and 3) At close range, you can draw and are less likely to get picked off. Treestands do have the advantage of having 1) a better exit/entry hole in the deer for tracking due to the angle 2) can be setup above eye level so that harder for the setup to get picked off and 3) easier to relocate / easier to hunt off feeder

Life is too short to not try different approaches to hunting.

One last thing, you see people building box blinds around here because it is a common DIY thing. You don't see most folks building tree stands because, well, they are cheap to buy.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top