I'm In A Bind And Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm In A Bind And Need Help

I hunt in Crockett Co. and there is 1 particular mesa that is a serious pain to get to. Its almost too much to cary your bow and your butt up there but thats where the bucks live. They'll come down in the bottoms during the rut but before and after they stay on top. We have found counless sheds up there. I have to find a way to get a protein feeder up there. I am thinking about carrying it up a peice at a time but you still have to fill it up. AAny ideas?

I would make a "mini" protein feeder out of a 5 or 10 gallon bucket, and just plan on carrying protein to it each weekend. It sounds like a major logistics issue to get a full sized feeder there, let alone filling it afterwards.

Comment

Cheap Meskin

That's what you need, a Meskin who's too cheap (or in my case, broke) to get a hunting lease, who's willing to haul all that stuff up there just so he can hunt with ya.

All kidding aside, you may have to look into one of those game carts with wheels and a weightlifting machine to use during the week.

Comment

We use to have a lease in crockett co near ozona..i second the idea of the mini feeder lol

Comment

The only problem with a mini feeder is I live 8hrs from the ranch. the game cart would be awesome except the last 50' or so of the climb is strait up. I do like the mescian idea, let me talk to my other lease members

Comment

sounds like a mini helicopter purchase is in order..that or a mule.... ;-)

Comment

Can you get pack horses up there?

Comment

wire and pully system to create an mini sky line of sort. Like a telephone pole at each end then hoist away.

By James F. Deaton Website Exclusive • January, 2006 The need to get firewood from a draw below my house to my woodshed started me on what became a fun project. After felling 4- to 8-inch diameter standing dead oaks, I could have cut them into four-foot lengths and pulled them uphill in my cart, […]

Comment

It's too rough for a four-wheeler?

Comment

A 4 wheeler and a small trailer. We have done this numerous times. We break down the feeder, take legs off ect, and place on a small trailer, tied down. Then take the legs ect. Time consuming but oh well. There has to be a passage with a "driveable 4 wheeler" passage somewhere on there. Of course you will need the 4 wheeler and trailer to get the corn/protein up there, but sounds like well worth the time and effort from the way you talk.

Comment

Nice

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                      wire and pully system to create an mini sky line of sort. Like a telephone pole at each end then hoist away.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/deaton0601.html
                      I like that idea. I was thinking game cart to the cliff face, then ratchet/pulley system up from there, but that may be easier.

Comment

I've hauled many a feeder with the barrel bungied to the back rack and the three legs strapped down across the front and back racks (lying beside the driver).

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                          the game cart would be awesome except the last 50' or so of the climb is strait up.

Looks like the ATV and trailer would only get it so far but it would be closer than without it. Then hoist the rest of the way.. I think a multi solution fix is in order.

Comment

Comeer Deer

Comment

Hey steve, were you the one who took Trapper hunting last wkend? I know he went out that way with someone needing some management done. If so, did he kill anything? When I left the pasture Jim had not heard from him yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X