Tikka T3 7mag Accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tikka T3 7mag Accuracy

So I was looking at getting a lighter weight rifle for spot and stalk hunts to pack in with. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 223 and it is very accurate. I am wondering if anybody has a Tikka T3 lite or super lite in 7mm Rem mag and how accurate it is and what grain weight ammo you use? I would like to be able to use at least a 162 grain bullet/load for energy and higher BCs but it seems like almost everything you can find has a 1:9.5 twist rate like the Tikka does. I am wondering if I would be better off spend a good bit more and getting a 1:9 twist rate in a more expensive lightweight rifle. Like I have said I am ONLY interested in the 7MM REM MAG ONLY.
    Thanks for the input.

I've got the Tikka T3 Lite in 7mag. I tried some 168gr Berger VLD and they just wouldn't group which I figured would happen. So I tried some 168gr Berger Classic Hunter which is a High BC bullet designed for factory barrels that don't have the twist of custom barrels. They shoot great!! I've shot a buck and a pig and it's done some damage to them on the inside. I even installed a B&C stock on it and it feels great and still light. Have a Leupold VX 6 3-18x50 on it and the whole gun weighs I believe 8lb 15ounces.

Comment

Also had a MB installed to tame recoil. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7645.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	24522216

Comment

I loaded for a friend's T3 in 300 WSM (no muzzle brake). While the recoil rendered my brain and body kaleidoscopic, I got it to 0.3" groups at 100 yards. I feel safe in assuming, the 7 Mag would be no different.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
          I loaded for a friend's T3 in 300 WSM (no muzzle brake). While the recoil rendered my brain and body kaleidoscopic, I got it to 0.3" groups at 100 yards. I feel safe in assuming, the 7 Mag would be no different.

I can’t imagine shooting a gun that light in .300 Win. Mag.

Comment

Mine has the wood stock. I have tried 175 gr remington core loc and 175 gr winchester white box. Three shot group and holes were touching at 100 yards. I did install a limbsaver recoil pad. That help absorb a lot of the recoil. I shoot the cheapest ammo I can find and it shot great and excellent performance on deer so I have felt no need to experiment on costlier ammo.

Comment

Nice guys I appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                I can’t imagine shooting a gun that light in .300 Win. Mag.

It was horrendous. I could only shoot two 5 shot groups per day then I had to set it down. Luckily, I found the load on the 4th test load. The first shot, I was certain it bloodied my nose. It didn't but my nose ran uncontrollably for the rest of the day.

I loaded up a box of 50 for him and he decided to go shoot 42 in one day at the range. He is a big black guy but it left purple bruises across his whole chest, up his neck, onto his jaw and even bruised his whole shoulder blade. It is still the hardest recoiling rifle I have shot. I told him, I will reload them but I will never shoot it again. That was a butt whoopin' I didn't deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                  I've got the Tikka T3 Lite in 7mag. I tried some 168gr Berger VLD and they just wouldn't group which I figured would happen. So I tried some 168gr Berger Classic Hunter which is a High BC bullet designed for factory barrels that don't have the twist of custom barrels. They shoot great!! I've shot a buck and a pig and it's done some damage to them on the inside. I even installed a B&C stock on it and it feels great and still light. Have a Leupold VX 6 3-18x50 on it and the whole gun weighs I believe 8lb 15ounces.
                  What size group at what distance have you been able to get with the 168 Berger Classic Hunter?

Comment

It was horrendous. I could only shoot two 5 shot groups per day then I had to set it down. Luckily, I found the load on the 4th test load. The first shot, I was certain it bloodied my nose. It didn't but my nose ran uncontrollably for the rest of the day.

I loaded up a box of 50 for him and he decided to go shoot 42 in one day at the range. He is a big black guy but it left purple bruises across his whole chest, up his neck, onto his jaw and even bruised his whole shoulder blade. It is still the hardest recoiling rifle I have shot. I told him, I will reload them but I will never shoot it again. That was a butt whoopin' I didn't deserve.

I can relate to that, have a 270WSM in the wood stocked hunter, I never have reloaded for it as the Winchester 140gr accubonds shoot 5/8 inch groups at 100 and have shot 1 3/4 at 350 so call that good enough and bought several boxes of the same lot number.

On the recoil, before putting a pacmeyer decelerator pad on it, 20 rounds on the first range session left me bruised with a headache that lasted for days.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                      What size group at what distance have you been able to get with the 168 Berger Classic Hunter?
                      No issues keeping 1/2 MOA at 100 and 200yds. Only shot 700yds once and had a 1 MOA group with 3-4shots and a 10mph crosswind. Loaded at 3.29" which is about mag length. Used Retumbo powder and Federal primer

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                        I can relate to that, have a 270WSM in the wood stocked hunter, I never have reloaded for it as the Winchester 140gr accubonds shoot 5/8 inch groups at 100 and have shot 1 3/4 at 350 so call that good enough and bought several boxes of the same lot number.

On the recoil, before putting a pacmeyer decelerator pad on it, 20 rounds on the first range session left me bruised with a headache that lasted for days.
                        Haha geeez have yall thought about threading the muzzle and installing a muzzle break? Or getting a Whitt Machine Clamp on Muzzle break??

Comment

Recoil pad is easy to install and works. Clamp on MZ break is useful though. without the recoil pad though I can take more shots with my 50BMG that doesn't have a real effective break than I can from that Tikka. Sometimes you just know you are going to get kicked when you squeeze the trigger and with some rifles more than others.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                            No issues keeping 1/2 MOA at 100 and 200yds. Only shot 700yds once and had a 1 MOA group with 3-4shots and a 10mph crosswind. Loaded at 3.29" which is about mag length. Used Retumbo powder and Federal primer
                            Nice!!

Comment

My cousin takes a Tikka 7mm rem mag every year to Colorado as his back up rifle. This year he ended up having to break it out and took a bear at 450 yds. We practice in the off season and he shoots it regularly out to 800 yds. One of the guys in the group that went to Colorado this year shoots a Tikka 300 win mag took an elk at 750yds.

Comment

Working...
                              X