Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
sideways
Ten Point

Default Sheet metal price increase

If you are planning on building a metal building soon or metal roof Better hurry prices have already gone up and they will go up again soon.
R panel has gone from $1.97per ft to $2.55per ft.
sideways is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Yep, same can be said for rebar.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
sideways
Ten Point

Yes I'm assuming anything metal. Tariffs have caused a 20/25 percent increase on steel and 10/15 percent on aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sideways is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

How in the hell can they justify that when they have already paid the cheaper prices on the material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westtexducks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Thank you Mr. President.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
How in the hell can they justify that when they have already paid the cheaper prices on the material?

No different than a gas station raising prices 2-3x.... when they haven't received a load of fuel.
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Tariffs will make all metal more expensive
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:

Replacement cost is now higher... If your keeping inventory then its pretty easy to justify.

Its really going to cause an outrage when the increase in aluminum impacts the price of a 12 pack!!!
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Some steel suppliers really gouging customers.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #10
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Some steel suppliers really gouging customers.
Oil companies/refiners do the same thing---price of crude goes up, gas prices follow immediately even though the inventory in the tanks/trucks/refineries was bought at lower price. I've never done a close analysis, but I'm betting that a drop in crude price doesn't generate a drop in price at the pump as quickly.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

America, f#kc yeah!!!!
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #12
hchntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Ray Charles couldíve seen this coming with the new tariffs that the Tweeter in Chief has imposed.

hchntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #13
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quit buying Mexico steel and you will be ok! Lol
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #14
Calrob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard

I'd pay an American more for an American made product... if only it were that simple.... like fuel, eventually the price will come down. Hate it for the guys losing money over it now.
Calrob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #15
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrob View Post
I'd pay an American more for an American made product... if only it were that simple.... like fuel, eventually the price will come down. Hate it for the guys losing money over it now.
^^^This^^^

Suck it up butter cups!! If we need to pay a bit more for things but it will be helping with job creation here in the great old USA then so be it.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #16
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
Oil companies/refiners do the same thing---price of crude goes up, gas prices follow immediately even though the inventory in the tanks/trucks/refineries was bought at lower price. I've never done a close analysis, but I'm betting that a drop in crude price doesn't generate a drop in price at the pump as quickly.
Take oil out of the equation and replace it with gold just for a hypothetical.

If it was you’re gold pipeline and it took 15-45 days to get the gold from the ground to and through the pipeline and refinery and transport to a filling station would you sell the gold for a certain profit margin based on your cost or would you sell the gold for as much as you can? High or low, win or loose the producers and retailers sell their products for as much as they can, sometimes at a loss, but never at a flat multiplier or margin over cost.

The companies job is to maximize profits, not provide the gold (or gas, or oil, or diesel, or steel, or whatever other commodities we could plug int this fact of life)
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #17
Btoutdoors
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
^^^This^^^

Suck it up butter cups!! If we need to pay a bit more for things but it will be helping with job creation here in the great old USA then so be it.
I own a metal fab shop and completely agree! If it creates jobs in the good ol USA they might buy something from me.
Btoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #18
chrisk
Ten Point

I work on a hot dip galv line. This is good news for me. Just like higher oil prices for the guys that work in the oilfields.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #19
Lostacresranch
Six Point

Iím building a add on to my tractor shed. The materials are already setting in a warehouse. Bought long before any tariff was mentioned. But the prices went up over night. Itís gouging. Plane and simple.
Lostacresranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #20
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Take oil out of the equation and replace it with gold just for a hypothetical.

If it was youíre gold pipeline and it took 15-45 days to get the gold from the ground to and through the pipeline and refinery and transport to a filling station would you sell the gold for a certain profit margin based on your cost or would you sell the gold for as much as you can? High or low, win or loose the producers and retailers sell their products for as much as they can, sometimes at a loss, but never at a flat multiplier or margin over cost.

The companies job is to maximize profits, not provide the gold (or gas, or oil, or diesel, or steel, or whatever other commodities we could plug int this fact of life)
Don't disagree with your statement about the company's job -- just pointing out something similar to the metals price increase.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2018, 05:28 AM   #21
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

I’m in the process of building a barn on my property. I was told the cost would increase in April but I will not be ready to purchase until after. I believe the price increase was about $500 for a 40x60x14’ with a 25’ roof extension and a lean to 15x85. Just to give an idea.

Didn’t seem like much to me. I’ve been looking at building a barn for 2 years. Everytime I get a quote, they always say steel is about to go up. It’s nothing new
12RingKing is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #22
redfishted
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
If you are planning on building a metal building soon or metal roof Better hurry prices have already gone up and they will go up again soon.
R panel has gone from $1.97per ft to $2.55per ft.
I'd look for another supplier, I'm a GC that biilds a lot with metal building components, we have seen about a 5% increase in our component pricing since the first of the year, there is another 7% coming in late April early May.
redfishted is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #23
mmoses
Ten Point

Cost of american business.

Glad I ordered my roof last month!
mmoses is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #24
Humper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoses View Post
Cost of buying votesamerican business.

Glad I ordered my roof last month!
Fify... guess it didnít go as planned
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1GI00L
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #25
mmoses
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humper View Post
Fify... guess it didnít go as planned
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1GI00L
President Trump is just going checking off his campaign promises. Can't be made at him for that
mmoses is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #26
stevieray54
Ten Point

Hunt In: Alvin/Danbury Brazoria Co.

Everyone wanted trade jobs back in the US, who is going to do it for minimal wages... Make America Great Again..We stand united under God..Go Trump
stevieray54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #27
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:

Replacement cost. Just like when steel prices dropped with oil prices we dropped our prices even though we paid more for the material we were selling.
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #28
Draco
Pope & Young

Picked up building components yesterday from Metal Mart and they told me to expect 15 to 20 percent next month.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 05:11 AM   #29
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray54 View Post
Everyone wanted trade jobs back in the US, who is going to do it for minimal wages... Make America Great Again..We stand united under God..Go Trump
Exactly this! Everyone wants to buy US and have jobs move here but no one wants to pay the price increase for the wage people make here. Can't have your cake and eat it too folks.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #30
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Exactly this! Everyone wants to buy US and have jobs move here but no one wants to pay the price increase for the wage people make here. Can't have your cake and eat it too folks.
Yep
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #31
hchntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:

This

hchntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #32
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

I won't get to build my metal shop until later this year or early next year due to health reasons. It will be a bummer to pay more than I could have when I first started planning it before I got hurt, but I have no issue with paying more if it helps American companies/workers. Same reason I shoot the arrows and broadheads I do. I support American made products when they are available.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #33
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbowcoop View Post
It will be a bummer to pay more than I could have when I first started planning it before I got hurt, but I have no issue with paying more if it helps American companies/workers. Same reason I shoot the arrows and broadheads I do. I support American made products when they are available.
Same. Except mine is a metal roof.

Good luck with your health issues.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #34
friscopaint
Ten Point

80% of steel is already made in the U.S. and number 1 importer of steel is from Canada which isn't subject to the tariff's, just an excuse for steel suppliers to raise their profit margins......
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #35
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
80% of steel is already made in the U.S. and number 1 importer of steel is from Canada which isn't subject to the tariff's, just an excuse for steel suppliers to raise their profit margins......
Well, I can’t spean to all “steel” but I can tell you the #1 importer is rebar is turkey and by a huge margin. When imports were hit with the tariff, domestic mills raised prices. Free market capitalism. As many have said, if it brings jobs back here and in the end helps the economy well then so be it.
This coming from someone who the tariffs affect more than most

Last edited by JLivi1224; 03-18-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #36
TransPecos
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
All you guys saying you will pay more to preserve American jobs, need to realize you are preserving a segment of 140,000 jobs. A large concentration of which are in the 18th congressional district of Pennsylvania, AKA steel country. They just had a very contentious election last week. The votes are still being counted on that one. You are paying more so Trump/the Republicans could have a shot at winning a critical mid-term election that many say will set the tone for the rest of the mid term elections.
For every steel production job in US, there are 50-100 downstream jobs in the steel consuming industries. Metal Building, 55 gallon drums, construction, oilfield, etc.
I used the example of Char-broil in another thread. They owned New Braunfels Smoker, a big employer here in Texas. President Bush pulled a similar move in 2002 and placed 30% tariffs on all import steel. Char-broil was facing 30%+ price increase on their materials and at the same time Wal-mart was demanding $3/unit cheaper pricing on their BBQs. So Charbroil moved all their production to China. They can buy local Chinese sheet and wire rod to build their bbqs and then ship them back in containers to the US. Did the tariffs protect those jobs? Or destroy them?
I feel that this is Trumpís way of getting the worldís attention on trade issues and is the first shot over the bow. The final agreement will likely look much different than the unilateral 25% you see now.
For now, domestic mills and anyone with inventory on the ground are enjoying an artificial market boom. Get ready for shortages, surging prices and long lead times.
TransPecos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #37
TransPecos
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County

Rebar from Turkey was hit with anti-dumping and anti-subsidy duties of 21-24% depending on the producing mill last summer. Japanese rebar got a 206% duty in the same anti-dumping action.
TransPecos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #38
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Why are wages lower in other places? Maybe that should be the next step. We all know government BS, taxes, frivolous lawsuits, unemployment, etc cause higher wages.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #39
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransPecos View Post
All you guys saying you will pay more to preserve American jobs, need to realize you are preserving a segment of 140,000 jobs. A large concentration of which are in the 18th congressional district of Pennsylvania, AKA steel country. They just had a very contentious election last week. The votes are still being counted on that one. You are paying more so Trump/the Republicans could have a shot at winning a critical mid-term election that many say will set the tone for the rest of the mid term elections.
For every steel production job in US, there are 50-100 downstream jobs in the steel consuming industries. Metal Building, 55 gallon drums, construction, oilfield, etc.
I used the example of Char-broil in another thread. They owned New Braunfels Smoker, a big employer here in Texas. President Bush pulled a similar move in 2002 and placed 30% tariffs on all import steel. Char-broil was facing 30%+ price increase on their materials and at the same time Wal-mart was demanding $3/unit cheaper pricing on their BBQs. So Charbroil moved all their production to China. They can buy local Chinese sheet and wire rod to build their bbqs and then ship them back in containers to the US. Did the tariffs protect those jobs? Or destroy them?
I feel that this is Trumpís way of getting the worldís attention on trade issues and is the first shot over the bow. The final agreement will likely look much different than the unilateral 25% you see now.
For now, domestic mills and anyone with inventory on the ground are enjoying an artificial market boom. Get ready for shortages, surging prices and long lead times.

It is definitely that IMO. I too think itís leverage, while encouraging votes in PA.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #40
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransPecos View Post
Rebar from Turkey was hit with anti-dumping and anti-subsidy duties of 21-24% depending on the producing mill last summer. Japanese rebar got a 206% duty in the same anti-dumping action.

Yet made Little impact on the market as a whole.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #41
gekko man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County and Llano County

Bush did the same thing in his first administration and it eventually cost me a great job!

My competitors who imported finished products did not feel our pain. We shutdown 3 domestic plants and they moved them to Mexico and China.

If I could only be as wise as these policy makers!

The tariff should be on imported finished metal goods.
gekko man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #42
Ramball36
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostacresranch View Post
Iím building a add on to my tractor shed. The materials are already setting in a warehouse. Bought long before any tariff was mentioned. But the prices went up over night. Itís gouging. Plane and simple.

With this train of thought I reckon you think a Ď66 corvette ought to sell for its original sticker price too?
Ramball36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #43
Ramball36
Eight Point

Another thing to note that many of our domestic steel manufacturers get their raw steel from elsewhere. From what I hear the port of Houston is a mad house fin people trying to get their cargo in.
Ramball36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top