No announcement yet.

What Happened To My Scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely not billet. I would not be happy about that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
      Found the issue. The dang rings broke in half!!!! This is just insane. It appears it's a design flaw. The rail mount pushes into the bottom of the ring and causes an unexpected upward force that it appears the ring couldn't handle. I'm at a loss here.
      [ATTACH]885308[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]885309[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]885310[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]885311[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]885312[/ATTACH]

I expect that Tally knew this was an issue which is why they were so eager to get replacements in the mail to you

Comment

I know the broken rings were your problem, but. You said they screws were loctighted, and they were loose when you got it from the safe. Screws should have still been tight, even after scope was loose, even with blue loctite. If not, most likely oil or grease interfering. Correct this when you redo it. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
          I know the broken rings were your problem, but. You said they screws were loctighted, and they were loose when you got it from the safe. Screws should have still been tight, even after scope was loose, even with blue loctite. If not, most likely oil or grease interfering. Correct this when you redo it. good luck.
          You bring up a very valid point. They have never had oil, cleaner, rain, heat, nothing on them. The 2 reasons I can see for them to not be "locked" in @ 22 in/lbs. would be:
          the loc-tight I used was 10+ years old (I don't know if it degrades over time)
          I didn't get all the factory oil off the screws (I tried w/alcohol but ???)

***EDIT***
          From Loctite:
          "What is the Henkel shelf life policy for Loctite® products?
          The shelf life period for Loctite® products is one year from
          date of shipment from Henkel facilities or as indicated by
          package labeling. For optimal storage, m
          aintain product at a
          temperature between 8°C (46°F) to 21°C (70°F). Storage
          below 8°C (46°F) or greater than 28°C (82°F) can adversely
          affect product properties."

Mine was ~10 years old & stored in my garage in the Texas heat/cold. It was probably trash.
          Last edited by LFD2037; 11-28-2017, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            I expect that Tally knew this was an issue which is why they were so eager to get replacements in the mail to you
            Yeah, they were VERY eager. The first response I got back was:
            "I don't know what happened. Give me your address & I'll send you out a new set today".
            I hadn't proven anything w/a picture (yet), a receipt, where I bought them, how much I paid, how old they were or any other information other than they were no longer tight. Either it's the best CS in the business (hopefully) or they have an idea of the situation.

Comment

Is your torque driver off? Seems 22lbs would not break those rings.

Comment

The only upside:
                looking @ the ring marks from the paint that transferred onto the scope, it had full ring contact except for where the top & bottom of the rings mated. I'd estimate ~95% contact.
                Can you explain your thinking a bit more?

I see pressure spots not even distribution.

Comment

Found the issue. The dang rings broke in half!!!! This is just insane. It appears it's a design flaw. The rail mount pushes into the bottom of the ring and causes an unexpected upward force that it appears the ring couldn't handle. I'm at a loss here.
                  Wow.
                  Let us know how the warranty claim goes. Hopefully they’re not the kind of company that tries to weasel by pointing the finger.

Comment

Those look cast and not billet to me. I don't like that design at all. A deep notch like that with square corners is weak structurally.

Comment

Scope gremlins for sure. Seen it happen a million times.

Comment

Sounds good, get yourself some new blue Loctite, use brake cleaner to clean everything before install. Break cleaner from auto zone is cheaper than gun products. Keep off of plastics or wood finishes though. Should be safe, but sucks to find out it wasn't. The blue (medium strength) allows you to remove the screws without heat. They actually make a purple for small screws, which is what I like to use on scope mounts, but blue is fine. Don't use red, you will need to use heat to remove the screws. Good luck

Edit to add: I would remove the base and redo those screw also.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                          Can you explain your thinking a bit more?

I see pressure spots not even distribution.
                          I had already tried wiping some of the "paint" off the scope. In person you can look @ the fine detail & see it was mated very well.

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                          Wow.
                          Let us know how the warranty claim goes. Hopefully they’re not the kind of company that tries to weasel by pointing the finger.
                          It seemed to be going good but they haven't responded to my last 2 emails & I haven't received the new rings yet (day 3 of 2 day shipping).
                          Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                          Sounds good, get yourself some new blue Loctite, use brake cleaner to clean everything before install. Break cleaner from auto zone is cheaper than gun products. Keep off of plastics or wood finishes though. Should be safe, but sucks to find out it wasn't. The blue (medium strength) allows you to remove the screws without heat. They actually make a purple for small screws, which is what I like to use on scope mounts, but blue is fine. Don't use red, you will need to use heat to remove the screws. Good luck

Edit to add: I would remove the base and redo those screw also.
                          I will be removing the 20 MOA base & cleaning the screws & threads REAL good then use new blue loctite.
                          On a side note:
                          BLUE Loctite (242) now comes in a RED bottle!!! Not sure why but it does.

Comment

It's now been 7 days since they said they were mailing me new rings & since they replied to one of my emails. Their CS isn't looking so good anymore!

Comment

I've never been a big talley fan. Not buying them at all now lol. Seekins and nightforce for me!!

Comment

It's now been 7 days since they said they were mailing me new rings & since they replied to one of my emails. Their CS isn't looking so good anymore!
                                Weird. They've always been above top notch for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X