Sliding / Compound / Miter Saw???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliding / Compound / Miter Saw???

I've never owned one. But I am moving into a new house, and I'm going to be doing quite a bit of building - at least for a while. I've never really cared for table saws. I just don't like them. I'd rather clamp a wood fence down and use my circular saw (Skil worm drive). But my cuts aren't always precise on 2x4's. Probably because I normally get lazy and don't set up any kind of guide. I just mark my line and free hand it. I know, I know... stop being lazy!

When looking into what I'm wanting to do, I came across videos of other saws. But now I don't know which one or "how much saw" I really need.

I'll be:

1) Building workbenches. Lots of them. Over 400 sq feet of finished basement with an epoxy coated floor - all for my hobbies. So I want to build custom workbenches that fit the space. So cutting lots of 2x4's for the frames.

2) Cutting crown-molding. I've never done that. But my home-builder doesn't offer what I want, so I said "no crown molding", and I'm going to get what I want and install on my own.

3) Maybe other projects like a Shadow Box. Never had one made when I retired from the Navy. Thought it would be nice to design and make my own.

So knowing this, should I get / do I need:

a) A basic miter saw
    b) A compound miter saw
    c) A sliding compound miter saw

After determining what kind... now I need to know which one (brand, size)?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
    Glenn

I would say definitely get a sliding compound for the things you want to do.
    I have a 12" dewalt that is corded, and a 10" Milwaukee Fuel battery powered. The battery powered Milwaukee is the only one I ever use anymore.
    Unless I have some big post or something, the 12" just helps hold down the workbench.

Comment

I have the 12” sliding DeWalt. That’s all I’ve seen the trim carpenters use.

As an aside we had crown molding installed in our house. We had several places where the trim guys shot nails into the PEX. Even though we kept the water lines pressurized during the entire building process they did not show up right away. One did not show up for a year after we moved in.

Comment

I'd recommend a 12" Compound Slider. I had nearly every other saw, but didn't get the slider until a year ago. Since then I've used it almost exclusively.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

The compound ability in a miter saw is needed for crown moulding/trim work. The sliding feature allows you to cut wider material.
          The larger the blade the thicker wood you can cut.

A sliding 12" will be the most versatile but also the most costly. What makes that way is that you can cut 2x12's at a 45 degree and also 4x4's in a single pass.

Comment

If you don't intend on doing commercial work go to harbor freight and get the 12 inch sliding compound saw for under 200.00 dollars.

Comment

I used a fixed compound for 90% of houses i trimmed and my mikita 10" slider was for closet shelving and stairtreads.

Comment

Love my Milwaukee fuel 18v compound miter saw . For crown molding no need for a 12 inch saw .

Comment

Buy a speed square and learn how to use it. You can make straight cuts on your 2X4’s using the speed square as a guide.

Comment

A 12" slider will be your "do everything" saw but also the most expensive. A regular 12" compound saw is the next best in my opinion. It will cut most base board and crown "standing up", which is the fastest/easiest way IMO. A good stand, which can be built or bought is just as important as the saw. This should support the material you're cutting without much effort.

If you want to buy a nice saw that will last a lifetime, Makita or DeWalt would be my choice. Rigid isn't bad either... If you want to go cheap, go to Harbor Freight. You may be disappointed in the features though.

Do yourself a favor and learn how to cope your inside corners for crown. Easiest to do with a jig saw. Youtube is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      Buy a speed square and learn how to use it. You can make straight cuts on your 2X4’s using the speed square as a guide.
                      Good advice, and I just watched a video that taught me a whole lot about a tool I've owned for years... but have been using all wrong (or for about 1% of it's usefulness). . But I still need something to cut crown molding, so I'm back to looking through all these suggestions!

All the best,
                      Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                        I would say definitely get a sliding compound for the things you want to do.
                        I have a 12" dewalt that is corded, and a 10" Milwaukee Fuel battery powered. The battery powered Milwaukee is the only one I ever use anymore.
                        Unless I have some big post or something, the 12" just helps hold down the workbench.
                        I'm leaning towards a 10". Probably will get a Milwaukee or Makita. I'm not a huge fan of Dewalt anymore. I was in the past. I haven't been too impressed with stuff I've got from them lately. Thanks for the advice!
                        All the best,
                        Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                          I have the 12” sliding DeWalt. That’s all I’ve seen the trim carpenters use.

As an aside we had crown molding installed in our house. We had several places where the trim guys shot nails into the PEX. Even though we kept the water lines pressurized during the entire building process they did not show up right away. One did not show up for a year after we moved in.
                          Good reminder. Luckily, my wife has been able to take pics of the inside of the house through all the steps. So we know what is behind which walls, and where it is. I'll keep an eye out for stuff like that before I go driving nails into anything.
                          All the best,
                          Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                            The compound ability in a miter saw is needed for crown moulding/trim work. The sliding feature allows you to cut wider material.
                            The larger the blade the thicker wood you can cut.

A sliding 12" will be the most versatile but also the most costly. What makes that way is that you can cut 2x12's at a 45 degree and also 4x4's in a single pass.
                            I was thinking I probably wouldn't be cutting 2x12's at a 45... but the 4x4's in a single pass might be nice. Still... I'm leaning towards a 10" saw. Still not sure whether I'm going with the sliding or not. Thinking I may not get the sliding, but I have this little voice in the back of my head telling me I'll regret it if I don't get it. Ha! Thanks for the advice.
                            All the best,
                            Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMAN View Post
                              If you don't intend on doing commercial work go to harbor freight and get the 12 inch sliding compound saw for under 200.00 dollars.
                              I buy quite a bit of neat, inexpensive stuff from Harbor Freight. But saws... I think I'm going to splurge a little and go with something much better. I'm not doing commercial work, but I don't want to fight the wood either. I'd rather buy a quality saw right now. Thanks for the advice though.
                              All the best,
                              Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X