Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sort of wood is this? (Burning in fireplace)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Spanish oak

Comment

I don’t think it’s elm. elm has a “wavy” cord to it.
      Don’t want to burn cedar and that is not cedar.

Comment

Looks like well seasoned pin oak to me.

Comment

Blackjack oak. Burns hot and will leave a creosote residue.
          At least that’s what I’ve been told.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
            Water Oak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            X2
            Don’t know about cedar but most conifers leave a lot of creosote and can cause a fire.

Comment

Don't burn pine in fireplaces u less you have to. As mentioned it leaves residue in the chimney and needs to be swept

Comment

Well it’s burning pretty clean compared to my regular oak. No smell, not much smoke, I checked into water oak and it said it’s great to use for fireplaces.

Either way, I’ll burn a creosote buster log as soon as I get one available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Some flavor of oak. Color says red but bark says pin oak.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                    Well it’s burning pretty clean compared to my regular oak. No smell, not much smoke, I checked into water oak and it said it’s great to use for fireplaces.

Good deal

Comment

I burn post oak , pin oak,elm,hackberry but never pine or cedar.
                      If a tree dies or blows over I cut it up
                      The main thing is to make sure it is cured.
                      I’ve found that elm puts out good heat it resembles mesquite after being split up.

Comment

Also, it burns really hot and slow too. I have 1/2 cord of it lol. Just won’t roast a marshmallow over it just incase.

Comment

Any one burn honey locust ? Just read it a awesome fire wood, but I hear people say it has some heavy thorns, ( we don’t have any out here)

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post

We have a ton of water oak at my family’s place in Lavaca County. It’s become my go-to for firewood for both the fire pit and the BBQ. It’s easy to cut, easy to split, dries/cures fairly fast, burns consistent temp for Q and is very mild in the smoke taste department which is what me and the family like. My grandparents always called them pin-oaks, but after a cousins got her masters in Forestey from ATM we were corrected and told they were actually “water oaks”....

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                              We have a ton of water oak at my family’s place in Lavaca County. It’s become my go-to for firewood for both the fire pit and the BBQ. It’s easy to cut, easy to split, dries/cures fairly fast, burns consistent temp for Q and is very mild in the smoke taste department which is what me and the family like. My grandparents always called them pin-oaks, but after a cousins got her masters in Forestey from ATM we were corrected and told they were actually “water oaks”....

So what you’re saying is......pull out the marshmallows!!!

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                                I don’t know if any wood is unsafe but I’ve heard that cedar and pine might leave a residue in the chimney that over time could cause a fire
                                thought elm was a popper also. make sure to have a screen, just in case.

Comment

Working...
                                X