Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penetration test on a 30 gallon plastic drum

Try this. I'm begging you to.

You can get the drums for free at most farm coop supply stores.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Rick

You can get the drums for free from most farm coop supply stores.
    Do it !!!

Comment

OK, I just repeated the test exactly as the first time, but with a 1415 grain arrow with 30% foc. What do you think the results were?

Rick

Comment

Complete pass through?

Comment

Here are the results for the heavy & high foc arrow.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
          I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Rick

Comment

By the way, the broadhead in the second test weighs 630 grain all by itself, but it's the same width as the first at 1.125"

Rick

Comment

Hmm. I guess the slowing down of that arrow from the extra weight?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Another note:

The bow is actually 69.5# at my draw, making the second/heavy arrow come in at just a tad over 20.3 gpp.

Rick

Comment

Very neat videos, Rick!

That first 640-grain arrow was not exactly lightweight. Shows nice balance of mass and speed. I'm reminded of your arrow ballistic chart and the sweet spot of around -- what? -- 9- or 10-grains per pound for optimum speed and momentum.

But that 1415-grain beast was kind of ridiculous. Thinking your 98-lb bow would do a lot better with it. Seems that a certain amount of speed is still required to propel a certain mass and carry the momentum needed for good penetration.

I believe this was the neighborhood of arrow weight Howard Hill used on elephants, but he was using a 115-lb bow. Also, I think Shiloh said he was looking to get 950- to 1000-grain arrows tuned for his 76-lb bow to go after Cape Buffalo. Just recollecting this off the top of my head, so feel free to correct if I'm misremembering.
                  Last edited by tradtiger; 02-07-2018, 06:28 PM.

Comment

So i assume that 15 to 20% foc is about max of what you want?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      So i assume that 15 to 20% foc is about max of what you want?

21% is the max of what I will settle for, but I always try to get between 12 & 15 somewhere, and between 9 & 10 gpp on the weight.

After that, if I want more horsepower, I go up in both draw eight & arrow weight, but still try to keep that 12 to 15 percent foc.

Rick

Comment

I really REALLY want to see what some of you guys get in results with your hunting rigs on this test, and would absolute LOVE to see some of you guys with the dangerous game setups to do it.

Rick

Comment

In my opinion, the only way I would get better penetration than with the 640gr arrow would be to go up in both draw weight & arrow weight while maintaining the between 9 & 10 gpp the 640gr gives me.

Rick

Comment

Next time I book a plastic drum hunt, I’ll be sure to try this one! [emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                              Next time I book a plastic drum hunt, I’ll be sure to try this one! [emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              I have it booked for you already. All you have to do is go to the coop in Sonora, and get the drum.

Do it.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X