What set up would you recommend for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What set up would you recommend for me?

Ive shot recurves quite a bit when I was young.... I shot 30-40# recurves way before I ever shot a compound... years went by and i only have and use a compound bow now... one day, such as a birthday or Christmas... I wouldnt mind getting some trad gear.. id need to practice and brush up a lil bit but id have no problem killing a deer within 30 yards or so...

Please excuse my slight ignorance on the subject... I in no way up to speed on it all, but have experience only shooting em quite a bit for fun....

What bow, arrows, broadheads... would yall recommend for a decent set up.... not the best on the market, but not a starter/beginner bow either...??

Something I could get one day and wouldnt really need to upgrade but would allow me to shoot white tail and hogs...???

What poundage..?
    Last edited by ducks-and-bucks; 07-15-2013, 02:23 PM.

Funny story... the first deer I ever shot with a bow.... I was young.... but I used a old compund bow with no sights nothing on it.... aimed trad style... and that was my first ever bow kill... 10-15 yardsish... after that I fell in love with bow huntin.

Comment

IMO, you can't go wrong with a used take-down recurve 40-50lbs and some goldtip arrows. The light used bows are harder to find, but most people starting out are better off avoiding the "good deal" on the 60+ lbs used bows.

Black Widow
      Predator
      Bear
      Martin
      Samick (good cheap bows)

Bow length and draw weight will depend on your personal needs, but I would lean towards a longer bow with lighter draw weight.
      Last edited by stone386; 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM.

Comment

What draw weight do most of you use for hunting? 45-50#? Im pretty sure I dont want a 60 lb long bow or recurve... I dont know how many times I could pull that back!
        Last edited by ducks-and-bucks; 07-15-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

In my opinion new or used you won't find a better bow than bob and zack Sarrels build. That being said I'm sure most will agree on here that it is personal preference more than anything and the best thing you can do is try to meet up with some trad guys and shoot what they got and get a feel for a lot of different bows to see what fits you best

Comment

Thats probably true...

Comment

Originally posted by bubba1986 View Post
              In my opinion new or used you won't find a better bow than bob and zack Sarrels build. That being said I'm sure most will agree on here that it is personal preference more than anything and the best thing you can do is try to meet up with some trad guys and shoot what they got and get a feel for a lot of different bows to see what fits you best
              X2 This

Comment

Originally posted by stone386 View Post
                IMO, you can't go wrong with a used take-down recurve 40-50lbs and some goldtip arrows. The light used bows are harder to find, but most people starting out are better off avoiding the "good deal" on the 60+ lbs used bows.

Black Widow
                Predator
                Bear
                Martin
                Samick (good cheap bows)

Bow length and draw weight will depend on your personal needs, but I would lean towards a longer bow with lighter draw weight.
                x2. Most trad shooters like shorter hunting distances than 30 yards.

Comment

The Samick Sage is a wonderful inexpensive bow. It would fill your needs for a long time. Find one at 40# and your good to go, assuming your draw is 28 inches. A good .600 spine arrow would get you started.

Once you upgrade down the road, just turn your Sage into your bowfishing rig or use it as to work on your form.

Comment

Shoot a poundage that you can shoot accurately,45-50 lb bow with proper weight arrow and a SHARP leading edge fixed blade broadhead will kill whatever you want.

Comment

Call me I've got a Sarrels Blueridge , 50 at 28 , with arrow art, quiver broadheads new arrows gloves points everything needed, in Liberty Hill, I'll do everything for 550.00, 512-626-7628, you can search under my name here and find a picture of the bow

Comment

I would have to recommend a Bob Lee! But opinions very.

Comment

Bob Lee Bows are not cheap but you will be shooting it for a lifetime!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X