whole hog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whole hog?

I am looking for some tips on smokeing a whole hog. Good rubs to use, how long, temperature of pit, temperature internaly of meat, etc, etc.
    Any ideas or comments appreciated.

LAst year at the Texas Shoot-Out we pit cooked a whole javi. Have 3 days of camp fire coals we dug a pit about 2 foot deep put in a layer of coals. covered with dirt about 2 inches then placed seasoned javi in wine/water soaked burlap bag placed on top of dirt then put a tin sheet on top of that then covered until no more smoke was escaping. Left for 6 hours and came back to a falling off the bone delight. This was kind of a last minute idea so the only seasoning we had were Jack-in-the-box hot sauce/salt/pepper/season salt. We did marinate teh javi in a bottle of cheap wine for about 4 hours. All in all it was very surprising results. We will be doing it again this year but taking more seasonings. I think the internal temp of pork should be around 165 degrees when fully cooked. This was also our first attempt at pit cooking.

Comment

I think I will try it this weekend not sure how yet...but it cant be that hard

Click image for larger version

Name:	goos9 004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	24719449

Comment

First you need to build a fire. Indirect heat is the best.

Name:	Rack1.JPG
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	24719489

Take the pig & cut it down the back. Then inject it with Creole Butter, and rub it with Zach's brisket rub.

Name:	Tims10.JPG
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	24719490

Name:	1 029 (Medium).jpg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	23818699

Let the fire get established and put the meat on. Try to keep it between 300 & 325 deg.

Name:	ASA Columbus 002 (Small).jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	23818700

Baste it with a mix of beer, butter, lemon, Italian, and Stubbs Pork Marinade. Every 20-30 minutes should be good. Just keep it wet.

Let it go for a few hours then wrap it in foil. When it's done the leg bone will twist out. I think the internal temp should be 180-190 deg?

Name:	adnoh's son Kyle.jpg
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	23818701

Comment

too cool...thanks for the tips..I will try to remember to get some pics tomorrow for show & tell

Comment

here is how I do my whole hog,,Kill the hog then I put it in the cooler with 4 bottles of Italian dressing and gallon of vinegar and ice all,,24 hours next day I season with Garlic powder,, about a whole bottle, one bottle of mkcormics spicy montreal..I then wrap the foil where non juice will leave,,heavy heavy dunty and make a pan out of it to hold the juices,,,make sure no salt,,no salt !!!Wrap tightly,,can add onions,or apples to the cavity,, Wrap tight, and rewrap and rewrap..dont worry it will still smoke,,I cook it on 225/250 for at least 18 hours..its done when your hungry,,No it usually will take about 18 hours for a 100 pounder,the meet will just fall apart..and the bones will pull out.

Comment

Working...
            X