No announcement yet.

Truck Repair Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labor rates at local Ford dealer are around 120 per hour. They are replacing my evaporator core now that is located behind the dash and a couple ac valves for 1100 in labor and 500 in parts.

You might do better with a non-dealer mechanic if you can find a good one.

Comment

Pour a bottle of head gasket sealer in it and trade it in at the dealership your got it from

Comment

Originally posted by bassdeer View Post
        pour a bottle of head gasket sealer in it and trade it in at the dealership your got it from
        x2 !!

Comment

V8 Ecoboost?

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
            V8 Ecoboost?
            I had the same thought.

Comment

Does it get hot, run rough, any steam out the exhaust? What does the oil look like? If you take the oil fill cap off, after letting the truck sit over night, does the bottom of the cap, look like normal oil, or a light brown milk shake, or one of those mocha drinks?

If it has a miss fire code, I would have a compression test done, along with getting someone with some experience to look at all of the spark plugs. 87,000 miles is pretty early for a blown head gasket. But if it has been run hard and or run hard on low octane fuel, or run hard with a plugged up fuel filter, it could have a blow head gasket.

If it pays $8,000 to $9000 to do head gaskets on a Ecoboost, I am going to start specializing in that job.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                I had the same thought.

Lol, same here. I tried to look it up because I though I missed out when I got my 2016.

But, if the OP does have that engine it may be where all the issues are coming from. Lol.

J

Comment

PLEASE take my response seriously...…

I "had" a '13 King Ranch Eco 6 with 15K less miles than yours. LOVED the truck but then here came the problems and "check engine" prompts. Nothing like driving 70mph and you lose power, pull off, restart and "try" to make it home and it does it again. Then spend the $$ to repair., drive for 3 days and here we go again!!!!

The deciding factor for me...a TBH Ford Mechanic and one of our local Ford Dealers mechanics told me to GET RID OF IT! Seems that year in the Eco has had more than it's share of problems with the engine. I was personally told they had to replace the engine with less than 150K miles a number of times. In all fairness, after this year most of the quirks had been solved and solid performance after that.

All I can say is it was enough for me. Nothing worse than having problems, spend the $$, have MORE of the same and always worried about if I could get the performance expected or even make it to my destination that day??

I know...maybe just my luck, but simply per my experience. Good luck but as some have stated...shop around and find a GREAT mechanic and stay with them while developing trust and rapport! My late Father was a mechanic and I learned early on, per his education...there are those who will TAKE YOU TO THE CLEANERS and those who you can trust! Good luck brother but be smart and question as you are now!!

Comment

My 2011 has 252k and still running strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                      Is that price from a stealership? If so, I would get estimate from a repair shop
                      Nope repair shop

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                        V8 Ecoboost?
                        V6 Ecoboost

Comment

Did they send you the detailed estimate?

Comment

Ran OK, oil changed regularly, No overheating issues, no exhaust smoke.
                            The repair place said they thought the thermostat might have gotten stuck, this leading to ...

This is the estimate: REPLACE HEAD GASKET, TURBO COOLANT FEED LINES/FITTINGS, RETURN LINES, WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT AND SEAL, TIMING COVER GASKET, OXYGEN SENSOR.
                            V6-3496 3.5L DOHC
                            Mileage 59241
                            TRANS : AUTO
                            LICENSE : JCF0050
                            PROD : 09/13
                            FLTR :
                            Invoice Date 8/15/2018
                            Job Total 8669.28

S OXYGEN SENSOR
                            S 190F XACTSTAT
                            S NEW WATER PUMP
                            S CYLINDER HEAD GASKET
                            S GASKET 12.43
                            Parts 1325.88
                            1 191.23 1 50.08 1 187.96 2 104.22 1 12.43 1 208.69 1 205.72
                            16 158.24 1 58.81 1 70.43 1 24.04 1 54.03
                            Labor 7343.40

Comment

Thanks for everyones input!

Comment

I'd definitely be getting a 2nd and third opinion ? it may just be a job that shop doesn't really want to do. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                                X