E-Fence and hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turkeyhunter1 View Post
    I have been using Dr Kroll's method for the last 3 years. It has worked really good for me.

Dr Kroll's method is 2 fences around the plot. The inside fence is 2 strands of wire at about 12" and 38" off the ground. The outside fence is about 36" outside the first fence with a single strand of wire at 24" off the ground.

I still have one pea patch that I planted in the spring. I haven't opened up for the deer yet and you can go pick peas right now if you want to.

Here are a few things I have learned.
    1. Dont go cheap on the charger. Get Gallagher they are the best and they work.
    2. Ground it good.
    3. Use a visible material. I like the white 1/2" tape. Tape wider than 1/2" will sag really bad when it gets wet.
    4. Keep the fence line clear. One tiny blade of grass or a wildflower will ground out in a second.
    Good info above. x2 on the visible material. We used flaging tied to the wire about every 20ft, but the white tape would be better. The flaging would slide down the wire.
    I used 2 wires 8" and 20" off the ground. You can tie a big spring on the wire at the insulator at the corners and it will help to keep the wire up and unbroken when they run into it. After about 2 weeks the hogs get smart and leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
      I have the 10 mile solar powered one from TSC I've used it for a few years now and it keeps them out. of course you have to keep the weeds and grass from touching it or it will ground out. I'm also only fencing in around 2 acres.

This is what I have on my feeder pen also. I use it to keep coons out but the hogs don’t want any of it either. It is running at at least 7000 volts on opposite side the charger is on. I’m not sure how high it actually goes as my meter only goes to 7000volts. I do know you won’t catch either of the near it on the camera. LOL.....deer jump right in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
        Interesting........

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          Interesting........
          Very quick and easy to set up take down. I have one to keep them out of my garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            BB, right now the hogs are pretty scarce. I guess it's so dry they went on to greener pastures. In the late winter to spring months they get pretty predictable, or at least they have the last couple years. We didn't see any the last three times we went using NV scopes. After this rain I saw a few tracks this past weekend. After deer season though, PM me and we'll see what we can do.
            Sounds good, just give me a shout if you need some help.

And yes, I’m the electric fencing business Gallagher is top notch equipment

Comment

Working...
            X