Gas hot water heater replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas hot water heater replacement

How hard is it to replace one yourself? It's in the garage and everything seems very accessible. I've got two of them and all it runs to buy the unit to match the other one is like 600 bucks plus whatever fittings and such I need.

Not hard at all. You may need someone to help you remove the old one. It will be heavy with sediment in the bottom. Make sure the vent line is in the correct position like the old one and test the gas line fittings with soapy water to make sure they don't leak before lighting the pilot.

Comment

Not hard at all, like Richard said, the hardest part is lifting the old one out of place.

Comment

There are new regulations out about water heaters, especially gas. How old is your unit? Is it in a closet in the garage or just in the garage. The new regulation affect ventilation mostly. Not that you cant still do it yourself, but, if you go to sale and it is not up to code, you may have to redo it.

I am not a plumber. Maybe Todd will chime in. But I drove past a Holiday Inn last week....once.

Comment

I've done mine. Not hard to do, but you will need help with the lifting.

Comment

Cool I appreciate it folks. It's in the garage. It looks fairly simple to swap out.

Tell you what if any of you folks around local that have done it might want to assist I'd gladly take you on a hog hunt at my place in Grayson. Thermal/NV/Suppressors. Good times.

Also, I had a plumber come out and look at it and give me a bid and he kept going on and on about pulling permits and getting inspections done. Didn't seem legit because when I had the other one replaced, the plumber just swapped it out. No fuss. What's the deal on that? I have a home warranty policy and this was a different guy than the first one and wanted a whole bunch of money over the home warranty coverage. Seemed shady. Anyway, I'm pretty handy and don't mind working on stuff.

It literally sits on a little raised area in the garage right next to the other one. Not enclosed or anything.
            Last edited by mdmorrow; 10-19-2016, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Its really not that hard at all. Just did mine a few months ago. Hardest part is lifting the old one out of place. Just be sure to use plumbing putty that's made for use with gas lines and check all the gas fittings with soapy water and your good to go.

Comment

Man if I was closer I'd take you up on that offer in a heart beat!

Comment

appreciate the input guys! Anyone know if there is any truth to having to get a permit or inspection or anything like that? I know for a fact when the other one was done there wasn't any fuss over any of that.

Comment

If a plumber does it, it will have to have a permit and inspection...see my previous comment. If you do it, you can get by, for now without the permit/inspection, but it may come back around on you if you ever sale. I did my A/C a few months back and they had to have a permit and get an inspection. Biggest waste of money in my opinion....BUT you do want it done right and you want it to be safe.

Comment

Sometimes I think its done with more care when you do something yourself. I did a lot of the trim work in my house and its way cleaner than what the carpenter did.

Comment

I wouldn't mind giving you a hand if our schedules work out. I can certainly be bribed with cold beer!

Comment

^^^shoot yeah I got plenty of cold beer and I'll gladly take you on a pig hunt or a doe hunt. Pig hunting more fun. I've got two new thermals coming tomorrow too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Whats a permit?

If I didn't have so much going on right now, I'd come up and help. Too many irons in the fire right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard M. View Post
                              Not hard at all. You may need someone to help you remove the old one. It will be heavy with sediment in the bottom. Make sure the vent line is in the correct position like the old one and test the gas line fittings with soapy water to make sure they don't leak before lighting the pilot.
                              This! The only other advice I've is start draining it a few hours before you want to get started. It took forever for mine to drain. I got impatient. Good thing I tucked my jeans in my boots to catch my nut when it fell out. It will still be pretty heavy with sediment but at least you can get the water weight out.

Comment

Working...
                              X