Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They just won't leave!!

Have you ever done this before?

On several different occasions, I have had deer under the bow stand that would just stay and stay and stay, foreeeeveeeeeerrr, and not go away! I'd rather them leave out from hearing noises than for them to get a visual of flailing arms and body movement. If they were 30 yards away, I'd just start talking loud enough as if I was talking to you from that distance to where you could hear what I was saying, "Hey ya'll, why don't ya'll start making your way out of here so I can get down?," Then I get that look of attention like they just heard two squirrels break out into an instant brawl, but they go back to eating as if they confirmed that it was such. "I don't think ya'll heard me. I got stuff to do and ya'll are torturing me," "Why don't ya'll wanna stick around like this when I want to install drain ports on you?" They still kind of stand there and graze, cautiously, with heads popping high at attention, with a fresh kernel of corn in their mouth that they're reluctant to crunch on just yet. Maybe another sentence or two of this "one way" way conversation, "I don't think ya'll are getting my point. I have asked ya'll kindly to vacate." Soon you might get one to pick that front foot up and pound it to the ground once or twice, more so to test the others' reactions to see if it's worthy of darting out. They all sort of look at each other, hoping not to be the one to call the shot of making that hasty move. Sooner or later, one decides that it would probably be a good idea to go ahead and bump it on down the path. Without even blowing, one or two may start easing out because they just can't pinpoint where this conversation is coming from, hoping they would at least observe movement attached to the sound, so they could determine if it's possibly just an old rusty beaver or something of that sort. Finally, they'll kind of follow suit with one another and mosey on their way.

I find it pretty comical to entertain myself with what I have talked to them about, and the simple fact that they absolutely hang around for a way longer duration than I ever expected. Of course, I've only done this in "nothing to lose" situations. Maybe four or five different times, but with the same reaction each time I've attempted it........ But......... slip up and make the slightest of a noise when you got one in mind that would fit really well in the YETI, and well, you all know how that works out. LOL

What have you done to flush away the unwanted and somewhat fail to do, at least as quickly as you were anticipating?

Good stuff!
    I’ve hit my varmint calls, sometimes it works, sometimes they stare for a bit, then go back to eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They just won't leave!!

I climed out of the back side of the stand the other day, with my youngest still in there.... picked up sticks and threw them over the top of the stand at a deer that was standing at 15 yards.... he would tell me where I hit and then I would adjust my aim... took 4 attempts before he saw me looking for the 5th stick. I got a little wide to the side of the blind in my search for the next stick I guess.

I was close but never bothered him.

This was him.

Comment

also made crazy jungle monkey sounds.... doesn't really bother them

Comment

Originally posted by J-Fish View Post
          I climed out of the back side of the stand the other day, with my youngest still in there.... picked up sticks and threw them over the top of the stand at a deer that was standing at 15 yards.... he would tell me where I hit and then I would adjust my aim... took 4 attempts before he saw me looking for the 5th stick. I got a little wide to the side of the blind in my search for the next stick I guess.

I was close but never bothered him.
          LOL. Any closer and you could count the nasal bots. :P

Comment

I let them see me get in the blind. Let them watch me put hand throw out. I also stick my face out the window and let them see me while eating the corn. I do this in the off season and actually try to talk them off the corn so the hogs have a chance to come in. They get really tame doing this.

But when hunting for a mature deer I have to be quiet. It helps when the tame ones run up and feed right next to the blind. Makes the older ones feel safer.

Comment

I make a metal on metal sound or run them off with a light when all else fails. Metal on metal is pretty much a done deal

Comment

I had a Hill Country lease many years ago and usually saw between 20-30 deer per sitting. One evening I made a cat growl sound to spook them off. Didn't see a deer for the rest of the week. Note to self...Don't make a cat growl sound to spook off the deer.

Comment

Had this happen to me this year. The deer bedded down under me. So I turn the flashlight on. They don't care. SO I snorted at them, and they just moved off a little. Like 75 yards or so. But it was enough for me to get out.

Those West Texas deer don't have much in common with their East Texas bretheren.

Comment

Electronic predator call (like Fox Pro). Set the speaker out about 20 yds from your tree. I use it when I hunt a food plot and I don't want them to bust me getting out of my tree. Only had to use it once this year, but carried it with me several times.

Comment

I clap real loud. Scares the crap out of them.

Comment

The grunt call works sometimes too. Except that you have to get a little creative with it if a simple grunt or two doesn't do the trick.

Comment

Perfect opportunity to scale down quickly and ride one to the truck

Comment

I had a mature buck (not my target buck) bed down under my tree that I was in this year. Dude even took a nap. I was in no hurry and just waited him out.

Comment

lol... very similar experiences.
                              I've been shivering in the dark before listening to the crunches.

Comment

Working...
                              X