10MM vs 44 Magnum Bear Medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10MM vs 44 Magnum Bear Medicine

Would like your opinions on the 10MM for a carry gun while hunting. I like the the fact that it is much lighter and can shoot faster in a bear attack. I know the 44 point is more powerful but really do not like thit extra weight.

Thanks

329PD problem solved

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Just looked it up. Over twice the price of a Glock and I think that lightweight pistol would have tear up my hands lol.

Comment

I carry a 4"629, I have never noticed it being any heavier than my Glock 20 with 15 rounds in it. I have killed several big hogs with 200 grain wide flat nose and never had any issues. In my 44 I am shooting a 310 WFN at about 1100 fps and it is an absolute hammer, if I am ever in bear country I know what I will be carrying.

Comment

a model 29 isn't that heavy an can be fired quickly in double action. I personally would want to give the power of the 44 if I was really worried about bears.

Comment

Have you considered that a semi auto could jam if you limp wrist it in a SHTF situation? Not saying it's likely, but you never know.

Comment

Glock 10mm all the way! Mag capacity, weight, reliability, the option for the heavy hollow point you just can't go wrong with this round.

Comment

I like my G20, but for sheer power, you just need to go revolver. Hot loaded .45 Colt, .44 Mag, .480 Ruger, .454 Casull, etc.

I wouldn't feel undergunned with a 10mm against a 200 lb. boar hog, but a hog will knock you down and leave most of the time. A black bear will kill you for food and a grizzly will just kill you.

Either way, you are very unlikely to get off more than two shots, better make them count !

Comment

A +p 10mm will turn a black bear or hog inside out but a grizzly might be a different story. I'd go 44mag minimum.

Comment

Have both the glock 10mm and a 44mag black hawk, when the bears attack my rabbits, I shoot the 44 mag. A 400 lb Bear didn’t move when I hit him in the back with the 10mm. I got worried and picked up the 44 mag and that got his attention from about 20 yards away.

So 44 mag would be my pick between the two cals questioned, used both.

Comment

.44 Mag at minimum here. I want something that will penetrate skull if needed, without question. You never know when you'll be unfortunately on your back with a bear on top, Lord forbid that situation. Shooting while laying on your stomach is difficult at best while being mauled.

Comment

Remember, it's there to save your life. Not just try to deture a charging bear. A bear can move fast. And be on top of ya before you know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Je3749 View Post
                          Have both the glock 10mm and a 44mag black hawk, when the bears attack my rabbits, I shoot the 44 mag. A 400 lb Bear didn’t move when I hit him in the back with the 10mm. I got worried and picked up the 44 mag and that got his attention from about 20 yards away.

So 44 mag would be my pick between the two cals questioned, used both.
                          Excellent feedback sir.
                          Thank you

Comment

Carry a can of bear spray, leave them at home and save the weight.

Comment

Watch out for bears

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              .44 Mag at minimum here. I want something that will penetrate skull if needed, without question. You never know when you'll be unfortunately on your back with a bear on top, Lord forbid that situation. Shooting while laying on your stomach is difficult at best while being mauled.

You sound like you have camp experience with bears

Maybe investing in camper will help at night
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-24-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X