Cure for dog rolling in poop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cure for dog rolling in poop?

My chocolate lab (Rico) is 14 months old. We live in the country; our outside dogs are NOT strictly fenced in our yard - they are free to roam about our 15 acres.
    Rico, for some unknown reason, enjoys rolling in our cows' poop (maybe the donkeys' poop, too for all I know).
    I'd love to have him join us in the house on cold nights and I have a bed for him to sleep on at night. HOWEVER, after a romp in the poop, he is can't come in.
    Also, he missed the lab chromosome that tells him he is supposed to like water, so I can't easily wash him off after a poop play adventure.
    We don't really have a way (round the clock supervision) to keep him away from the poop - so, does anyone have suggestions on how to change this habit?
    Attached Files

Get rid of cows or forget petting dog... I don't know why some dogs want to do that.

Comment

Catch him doin it and rub his nose in it till u can't get any more up he is nose. Couple times he will quit. Sounds cruel but it works.

Comment

hhthp

Comment

Hump it til it pees

Comment

Tie him to the cow.

On the other hand you could put him in the tree stand with you, cow poop eliminates human odors. That is what I have been told anyway.
            Last edited by Radar; 12-21-2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I had to whip m8ne pretty good several times before they got the messsge.

Comment

What's a feller to do if he can't roll in some poop every once in a while.

Lord help me.

Comment

Let me know when you figure it out. Mine got into the cat box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                    Let me know when you figure it out. Mine got into the cat box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Lol

Comment

Shock collar and light him up when he does it. Or catch him in the act and grab him and stick his nose all in it and whoop him. Few times he outta quit

Comment

The way I see it, you've got a few options...
                        1. Catch him in the act. Use an e-collar, carriage whip, etc. This is the only way he
                        can correlated the punishment to the crime. (rubbing his nose won't help if he
                        already likes it) Otherwise, he won't know why he's being punished
                        2. Pin him up and don't let him roam, especially if you're not home/supervising.
                        Easiest fix I would presume. Putting a dog in a kennel or run isn't a crime. Most thrive off
                        of it if it's daily routine. Just because they have 15 acres roam doesn't mean they should.
                        It also doesn't mean they shouldn't if they've proven they're trustworthy enough to do so,
                        which Rico rolling in caca, is proving he is not.

There is no magic fix for what you're trying to do. Just like kids, if you're not there for supervision you can't stop them from doing stuff. All you can do is teach them what you think is acceptable and what is not. Unlike a kid, they don't have reasoning skills unless you catch them doing the unwanted behavior.

Hope this helps.

Comment

We have one the eats chicken sh*t.

Comment

My black lab has an addiction for eating cat or chicken crap. Not out of a litter box but out in the woods or flower bed.

And for some reason the last 3 months (been living inside for 3 years) started gettibg bread off the counter, really likes Hawaiian Rolls, tear open the bag and eat them all. Beating hear with a bread sack didn’t work.

Comment

i never could get my dogs to quit. If they do i leave them outside for 3 days

Comment

Working...
                              X