Son's First Buck on my birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son's First Buck on my birthday

Saturday was awesome day for me & my oldest son Wade (9). Last year he took his first deer (a doe) at our place in Rocksprings, and this season he was exited to go after his first buck.

I have been seeing a mature 9pt that I was wanting to put him on. He wasn't huge, but he is mature & meets AR. Opening youth weekend, we just missed him. He only showed at the blind my dad was sitting at, and Wade only got to hunt once due to catching a stomach bug. He was able to make a great shot on a boar hog that day though, which boosted both of our confidence! This was huge for me. Although he shoots great on the bench, you never know how its gonna be they get on a live animal. He was lights out, calm as could be, and made an excellent shot with his 6.8.

Rifle opener was a bust with little to no movement. It was so calm, and Wade learned what it meant to get winded. We got winded by a group of sows that came out 20 yds from the blind.

The coming week Wade was reminding me everyday about going hunting the coming weekend. He is the easiest kid to wake up in the mornings, and takes care of everything himself. Saturday morning comes, and we head off to our spot. Chang-a-lang some road corn in our usual spots, and get in the blind. It didn't take long for our usuals to come out. 5 does and 2 young bucks. They all hung out and ate until 8 am. Wade starting asking when we would leave, and I told him lets wait a little longer. About that time I noticed something orange. A new doe had come out, and she had an orange calf tag in her ear. This was young doe that we had caught in a hog trap in 2016, and tagged her prior to release. This was the first time I have seen her since that day. Really cool to see her, and she was super healthy!

After watching her, and taking a picture, I noticed horns coming down the pipeline. I told Wade, "here comes your buck". I put the glass on him, and it was not the 9 pt! It was bigger buck that I had only seen one time the week before bow opener. I barely saw him then, and I knew he was atleast a 10 with some kickers. I immediately put his 6.8 out the window, and without making a big deal, I told him to get on him. At this time he was about 250 yds away.

The buck made his way to our setup, and hung up at about 200 yds out. I snapped a few pics with my phone somehow, as I was beginning to shake a little. I asked Wade what he thought of him, and he said "he's beautiful". The tagged doe began making her way closer to us, and the buck followed.

As the buck neared, and stopped at 100 yds, and turned broadside to eat some more. I asked Wade if he was on him, and he said yes. I told him that if he wanted to take him, to go ahead and do it. Two seconds later, he busts him, and the buck hit the ground!!!! What a shot! I was so proud! He said, "Did I get him?" . Me: Yes son, you did. Now find him in your scope, and if he gets up, put another one in him. Wade: "Ok dad. I see him. I see his horns in the grass". Me: Ok bud....stay on him.

We let about 10 minutes pass, and leave the blind (after I quite shaking!!!). He was so pumped, and I was so proud of him. He shot him straight through the shoulders, and the 6.8 put him down! We took some pics, and hauled him home to show mom & little brother.

This is one of the bigger bucks we have ever taken on our family place, and are super proud that Wade got to take him. He ended up being 12 pts, and 15-5/8" wide inside. Havent scored him yet, but will do that one evening this week when we cape him out.

Now for the pics!

1. on the hoof
    2. tag doe
    3. after the shot
    4. in the grass
    5. LDP
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Palmetto; 11-12-2018, 07:42 AM.

Great job all the way around.

Rwc

Comment

Awesome buck! Congrats to your son! Can't wait to do that with my boys one day.

Comment

Great job guys

Comment

Great buck! Congratulations

Comment

Great buck! Well done young man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome. Congrats to y’all.

Comment

Nice buck, congrats to the young man.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Great memories to cherish..congrats

Comment

congrats young man on a super buck! Way to go Dad for making it happen

Comment

Congrats to the young man and Happy birthday to you. Great memories there.

Comment

That’s great! Both of y’all will remember that hunt for a long time. Congratulations to you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations to Wade! Great write-up and an outstanding buck.

Comment

Congrats! Is that a Brazoria County buck?

Comment

Working...
                              X