No announcement yet.

Nilgai gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.30-.378 with 180 grain Barnes TSX is bad medicine for nilgai. Probably don't want to build one too light. Any .300 magnum will work with a good bullet; however, my next one will succumb to a .416.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
      I feel like if he goes to Africa trying to shoot one he's going to be there for a long time lol
      I was thinking the same thing

Comment

300 wm all the way. They are extremely tough animals. The last few I have shot with my 300 wm I have shot in the neck and the bullet did not pass through

Comment

I am sure you could take one down with a 243 or 308 or 6.5 creedmoor etc.. The way I look at it shot placement is always a huge part of hunting but why wouldn't you want a big enough caliber or broadhead etc.. to do the job as humanly as possible and help to put the animal down if you don't have the best shot placement. For an animal that will be in that 400-600lb range I would probably go with a 30-06 at least if not then 7mm mag 300 WM and get something with a (short/Fast) twist rate to shoot some heavier bullets which will have better BC because I also like to shoot far and it will have more energy. As far as something lighter weight a Tikka is a great rifle they are light and accurate, the savage is hard to beat out of the box and they have a lightweight hunter, the browning Xbolts are pretty good to and make several variations that are light weight threaded with a muzzle brake. A brake is something I put on my lighter weight larger calibers to reduce the recoil. Not because I am a wuss but because I like to shoot and shoot far so the less punishment I can take and less movement to the rifle and my body when I am prone out shooting 1000yds the better. I have savages, Tikka, and an xbolt they have all been proven to be great shooters and have produced awesome results to 800 yds and beyond with just factory ammo.
          Last edited by DuramaxDude; 10-29-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I feel like if he goes to Africa trying to shoot one he's going to be there for a long time lol
            bwahaaha. good point. i feel like a dumbass. but, it ain't the first time.

anatomy is like those of other african antelope though.

Comment

i feel like if he goes to africa trying to shoot one he's going to be there for a long time lol :d
              lol!!

Comment

Ok maybe i should up it to a magnum just to be safe...

Comment

My dad shot his with a 300 Weatherby mag. I can not speak to what ammo he used but it did not go very far.

Comment

I went several years ago. Ranch required that we had at least a 30.06 with 180 grain ammo. Great hunt, but did not get one. Got to shoot lots of pigs though!

Comment

we have shot a bunch with a 300 WBY shooting the 180 grain spitzer. Shoot them in the shoulder, you have to break them down or they will just keep running. You can get away with lighter sure, but if you are spot and stalk hunting the situation isnt always ideal like if you were hunting from a box.

Comment

Do not shoot a nilgai in the lungs, they can run for miles if you do. Their blood has a very high oxygen content. Nilgai has very thick hide around its neck and shoulders (3/4" or thicker)

Most guides will recommend to take out a Nilgai's running gear first, which means bust its shoulders. A bonded bullet in 150 grain or up. King Ranch will not let you hunt with anything under 30 cal.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                          Yeah I've researched and researched but still cant make up my mind..lol

I'm leaning towards the old trusty 30-06. but a 7 mag or 300 wm are not out of the question.
                          Back before everyone had to have a rifle for each animal they hunted, the 30-06 killed everything on the N American continent. They ain't no tougher now than they were then.

Comment

I shot mine with a 180gr TTSX out of a 30-06. One shot in the heart. My brother shot his 4-5 times with a 340 weatherby mag.

The '06 you are comfortable with will do the trick fine, just make the 1st shot count.

Comment

I remember it was 180gr fail safe 7mag

Comment

You should just get the weatherby vanguard dangerous game. It’s a 375 I’ve been looking at for a while. Good price and doesn’t seem terribly heavy.

Comment

Working...
                                X