Screwed up an oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwed up an oil change

Figured I’d do a quick oil change before going into work this afternoon. From the beginning it started out on the wrong foot. Autoparts store only had the high dollar($20) oil filter in stock. No big deal and I don’t feel like driving across town to save $13. I grab that and decide instead of going with my usual Mobil 1 full synthetic, I would swap to the Mobil 1 full synthetic “high mileage.”
    Get home everything’s moving good until I go to put the plug back in. Look for about an hour and a half to finally find it a few feet in the grass outside. I must’ve kicked it or something. As I finish and clean up I take a closer look at the oil...it is 5w-20 not my normal 5w-30. I guess when I grabbed the one beside my normal oil it wasn’t the same.
    Now I get to do it all over again.

Doh!

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the weight difference too much to change it out. I mean once it's warm they are both the same, only difference is it's slightly thinner when it's cold which won't hurt anything

Comment

Some days it don't pay to get up out of bed

Comment

The truck won't mind it. I wouldn't redo it.

Comment

I wouldn’t change it either. My last truck I did an oil change every 30,000 miles with regular Rotella oil and it’s still going strong on the farm with 450,000 miles.

Changing oil is overrated. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lsube0555 View Post
              I wouldn't worry about the weight difference too much to change it out. I mean once it's warm they are both the same, only difference is it's slightly thinner when it's cold which won't hurt anything
              Other way around. The 5 is the cold viscosity, 20 or 30 is the hot viscosity.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll be changing it out again before you know it.

Comment

I ended up changing it out but now the story gets even better.

I get the oil changed again and decide to sweep/blow my garage out. This led to me getting my whole driveway. As I back up along the wall I hear a pop and feel my rear end immediately get wet. I had backed into a water spigot and broke it off in the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post

I get the oil changed again and decide to sweep/blow my garage out. This led to me getting my whole driveway. As I back up along the wall I hear a pop and feel my rear end immediately get wet. I had backed into a water spigot and broke it off in the wall.
                    I had that happen once with brittle plastic when it was in the teens.........fun to do plumbing in cold weather......

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                      I wouldn’t change it either. My last truck I did an oil change every 30,000 miles with regular Rotella oil and it’s still going strong on the farm with 450,000 miles.

Changing oil is overrated. Lol
                      ^^^^^^^^

Comment

Looks like it is time to retreat to the recliner to regroup and enjoy a beverage or few.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post

Happened to me once but it was Taco Casa.

Comment

some days it don't pay to get out of bed

Comment

Dang man, you need to hit the re-set button and start this deal all over again. What a day........

Comment

Working...
                              X