Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a general question about submitting photos to Mags etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a general question about submitting photos to Mags etc...

Ya know I'm not a professional, heck I don't even consider myself an amateur yet LOL but once in a while I get what I think is a good shot of something be it sports or nature related.

My question is where would one start if they wanted to submit something to a magazine or news paper and maybe even get paid for the picture?

Shadow,
    This is a whole part of the business that I started to venture into years ago and then got soured on very quickly. When I was living in San Diego I was using a well known lab (shot mostly slides at that time) for my processing. They approached me after seeing my work come through all the time about giving my name to one of their clients, an editor of an outdoor photography magazine. The idea was to submit photos along with an article on a predetermined subject to have them print in the magazine.
    To get to the point, they wanted me to basically sign any rights away that I had to the photos/story and then pay me next to nothing for the work. After pushing back, I was basically told this is how it works in the industry. I kindly said no thank you and have not pursued it since on that level.
    I am not even sure where to tell you to go except the internet and possibly Russell Graves, if he will share that information with you since he is a regular on this site.
    Good luck with it if you go down that road!

Comment

Working...
    X