Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this be the year for a 4 party race?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this be the year for a 4 party race?????

I was reading where Trump suggested for Bernie to run as an independent, which would split the left vote. With the battle between him and Clinton, and his following(much like Trump's following) he could make a run for it if there was a 4th conservative in the race. BUT would conservatives not wanting Trump put in their own 3rd(4th) party? Could this be the election where an independent could really win?

No. Maybe next time.......

Comment

The "4 way" theory is this: Sanders gets so mad at his party he runs as an independent and the #NeverTrump crowd also promotes an independent run of someone palatable to both conservatives and some dems. The goal is not for the independent to win, just to carve out enough votes to deprive anyone of of the 270 needed, forcing the vote to the House of Representatives. The problem is that independent candidate would actually have to win a few states. That is an awfully tall order this late in the game...

Comment

What happens if no presidential candidate gets 270 Electoral votes?

If no candidate receives a majority of Electoral votes, the House of Representatives elects the President from the 3 Presidential candidates who received the most Electoral votes. Each state delegation has one vote. The Senate would elect the Vice President from the 2 Vice Presidential candidates with the most Electoral votes. Each Senator would cast one vote for Vice President. If the House of Representatives fails to elect a President by Inauguration Day, the Vice-President Elect serves as acting President until the deadlock is resolved in the House.

I don't see where they have to win a state.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
          I don't see where they have to win a state.
          All but two states are "winner takes all" - whoever wins the popular vote in the state gets all the electoral votes.

Comment

Jerp is right. Its too late except that Hillary might be gone shortly after receiving the nomination. Then a fresh new face of the democrats could show.

Comment

Actually this could be a good thing for America. Find out which way "We the People" want this country to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Peter View Post
                Actually this could be a good thing for America. Find out which way "We the People" want this country to go.
                We the people are scattered 20 directions. We all want change but none of us agree on what it should look like.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  We the people are scattered 20 directions. We all want change but none of us agree on what it should look like.
                  So true. This election cycle has woken me up to an America I no longer recognize. I am bumfuzzled and a bit disoriented. I have always followed politics very closely and thought I had a pretty good handle on things - but I have either been stupid or delusional. We are much more fractured, radical and angry than I ever imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    So true. This election cycle has woken me up to an America I no longer recognize. I am bumfuzzled and a bit disoriented. I have always followed politics very closely and thought I had a pretty good handle on things - but I have either been stupid or delusional. We are much more fractured, radical and angry than I ever imagined.
                    The Past 8 years nurtured that.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      Steve, your nail on the head post reminded me of this quote by Twain!!!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Progress.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	24446037

Comment

I'd add "and less Conservative" to the list. I never knew how many people claiming to be Conservatives or Republicans, are actually just Nationalists and Populists and don't really give 2 shakes about the Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Flournoy View Post
                          I'd add "and less Conservative" to the list. I never knew how many people claiming to be Conservatives or Republicans, are actually just Nationalists and Populists and don't really give 2 shakes about the Constitution.
                          Well said - that has been my biggest disappointment. Even though they may not go around quoting John Locke or Milton Friedman, I thought there was a sizable number of Republicans who had solid conservative instincts, reverence for the Constitution and recognized the need for smaller government. As it turns out there are a lot of Republicans who have no problem with extra-constitutional strongman authoritarianism as long they agree with with the guy.

Comment

Trump has enough money to secretly fund Bernie's campaign and the other independent candidate. Foreign countries are secretly funding Hillary so why not Trump?

Comment

Well said - that has been my biggest disappointment. Even though they may not go around quoting John Locke or Milton Friedman, I thought there was a sizable number of Republicans who had solid conservative instincts, reverence for the Constitution and recognized the need for smaller government. As it turns out there are a lot of Republicans who have no problem with extra-constitutional strongman authoritarianism as long they agree with with the guy.
                              I doubt most have zero idea what that translates into or have the basic knowledge to comprehend the real concerns. If he is walking the line (as I believed he was doing 8 months ago) it is now time to talk about policy direction. It appears that he does not have a substantive stance on ANY subject, but literally rolls the dice and plows ahead. That was FUN & CUTE early on but it cannot continue until November. I hope he gets a team (that he will listen to) that can take the substantial energy he produces and get serious about running for the presidency of the United States of America!

Comment

Working...
                              X