Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search For The Right Lens

This photo wasn't composed well at all.
    But I'm searching for the right telephoto lens for birding.
    The shot was with a Canon EF 70-300 f5.6 IS with a Kenko 1.5 Tele Converter. The image properties indicates 300 mm which will convert to 450mm although it's probably a little less. The first image isn't cropped but it does show how much will appear at 450mm and a distance of only about 12 feet. (Sparrow sized object)

Next is a huge crop:

I'm becoming convinced that 400mm "L" glass and a tele converter is a good place to start.
    What you think???

Well, for what it's worth, I like L lenses. (But mainly cause they look so dang cool!)

Are you shooting with a crop body or full frame?

Comment

That's a pretty good image out of that combo...sharpness-wise.

Comment

this is a 600 L IS canon at 18ft (min focal dist) no converter full frame (5D)

the problem with this lens is that it weighs about 15 lbs but a 500 L IS is only 8 lbs or so and easer to move around and you don't need as heavy of a tripod.
        Attached Files

Comment

JWHunt, that's a great way to get yourself banned, right there!!!

Love your shots. Share more.

Comment

I'm snagging the Canon 100-400 L IS Telephoto as my next lens. I've found them hanging on the low branches at around 1300.

Here's a birders review in action. I've stumbled across many who prefer this lens for field work over many of the others from the standpoint, it's manageable enough to carry in spite of it's size and Image Stabilzation....check out a few of the hand held shots

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
              Well, for what it's worth, I like L lenses. (But mainly cause they look so dang cool!)

Are you shooting with a crop body or full frame?

Rebel XTi and the L stuff does look cool (with camo option).

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                I'm snagging the Canon 100-400 L IS Telephoto as my next lens. I've found them hanging on the low branches at around 1300.

Here's a birders review in action. I've stumbled across many who prefer this lens for field work over many of the others from the standpoint, it's manageable enough to carry in spite of it's size and Image Stabilzation....check out a few of the hand held shots

http://birdphotoph.proboards107.com/...ead=352&page=1

I think it's the affordable option.

Comment

Seems your combo is working real well. Problem I have had in the high mm zooms and my doubler are the focus factor. I can catch examples like you posted fairly easy, however, at 300 yards, trying to focus my 500mm with a 2x converter is almost impossible. Just a hair's touch on the focus ring and you are out of focus.

I am not talking camera shake as the lens and camera are on a solid tripod. The issue comes into play with the amount of movement it takes on the focus ring to get out of focus.

Comment

I really like the 100-400L if you plan on doing anything more than birding.

Sample shot of a 10D on a 100-400L

Comment

btw... it was a hand held shot. I have a bit of problem with spot on focus, but I am not sure whats causing it at this point.

Comment

The auto focus on the 70-300 at full out 300mm and using center focus metering is worthless. Back it off a little and it can work OK. Seems like the lens wants to hunt too much at 300mm. And yes it seems worse with a TC. The lens is much better without the TC but 300mm just isn't enough reach.
                        Right now I'm in good focus one of thirty shots. I may have a learning disability as well

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                          I really like the 100-400L if you plan on doing anything more than birding.

Sample shot of a 10D on a 100-400L

Kevin what kind of bird is that?

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
                            Kevin what kind of bird is that?
                            Its a female Cardinal (aka Red Bird). Here is the male that was with it:

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
                              this is a 600 L IS canon at 18ft (min focal dist) no converter full frame (5D)
                              the problem with this lens is that it weighs about 15 lbs but a 500 L IS is only 8 lbs or so and easer to move around and you don't need as heavy of a tripod.
                              Have you ever used the 400 DO IS F4? Supposed to be very light for what it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X