No announcement yet.

Just How Twitchy Are Texas Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall Rick Barbee quoting a study a couple of years ago, stating that a whitetail deer can drop 8 inches, turn 90 degrees and be running full speed in 21 hundredths of a second.

Why we say 'good luck' as hunters head afield.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      I too don't know squat about public land hunting, but I have killed a few deer in TX with a longbow. Bottom line is you just can't predict exactly when, or how much a deer is going to jump the string. Obviously, deer that are highly pressured or on full alert (read: he knows your there) are probably going to react more than calm or unpressured deer.

I aim a couple inches above the bottom of the deer. If I hit there, it's a heart shot. If he ducks, it's usually right thru the middle of both lungs.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Great advice...the only other thing is make sure you utilize the Rage broadhead it will take the "twitchyness" out of em

Comment

Originally posted by 10132297 View Post
        Great advice...the only other thing is make sure you utilize the Rage broadhead it will take the "twitchyness" out of em

Sorry, but rages don't work off trad bows!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by 10132297 View Post
          I'm going to second what Bisch just said, rages won't work from a trad bow. There is far too much energy spent getting the blades to flip over.

Anyways, I get a 2 inch cut from my Simmons Treesharks, which are fixed blades, made of thicker steel, and fly great out of my bow!

Comment

The sharks are wicked!!

Comment

I too don't know squat about public land hunting, but I have killed a few deer in TX with a longbow. Bottom line is you just can't predict exactly when, or how much a deer is going to jump the string. Obviously, deer that are highly pressured or on full alert (read: he knows your there) are probably going to react more than calm or unpressured deer.

I aim a couple inches above the bottom of the deer. If I hit there, it's a heart shot. If he ducks, it's usually right thru the middle of both lungs.

Bisch

^^^^ this

Comment

Right at the 1:42 part of this video I have a slow motion shot on a east texas deer that shows how fast they are

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                  Right at the 1:42 part of this video I have a slow motion shot on a east texas deer that shows how fast they are

http://buffsblackwidow.com/videos/2009reviewbam.wmv
                  Thanks for sharing the video Buff! Really enjoyed watching. Durk.

Comment

Keep your shots at 20 yards or less and aim for the lowest part of the vitals. If the deer freezes you'll have a heart shot. If the deer drops you'll have a double lung.

Last year on a meat hunt day lease which translates to high pressure and skittish deer I shot a spike at 22 yards. He froze and I hit a tad low putting a 1 inch slice through the bottom of the heart. He went about 100 yards with a weak blood trail but was recovered quickly as he made a semi-circle and I heard him crash.

My hunting buddy shot a spike at 30 yards on the same hunt.. He rolled in some sort of matrix type move and the arrow went strait up the sternum as if it was shot from the ground. It was a liver shot with no blood. We found buzzards on that deer 400 yards away the next afternoon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170824_114750.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	24509264

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Having trouble posting pictures, must be hurricane Harvey....

Here's the sternum shot deer. He was in a ground blind when he shot this deer. That's a full blown matrix move right there.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, but rages don't work off trad bows!!!!

Bisch

OHH have I got a story for you guys. But it actually gives me an idea for a new thread. Long story but I promise it will be worth the read.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                          OHH have I got a story for you guys. But it actually gives me an idea for a new thread. Long story but I promise it will be worth the read.

I read it, and that guy was super lucky. That was a one in a million deal!

Ok, I'll rephrase, rages rarely work well off of trad bows!

Bisch

Comment

I read it, and that guy was super lucky. That was a one in a million deal!

Ok, I'll rephrase, rages rarely work well off of trad bows!

Bisch

I agree 100% Bisch. I could not believe my eyes when I seen the two perfect holes and an arrow wrapped in electrical tape covered in blood.

Comment

I understand y'all say a trad bow won't work with mechanical heads but I'm pretty sure that speed isn't the key to them working. I'm sure if you shoot a high enough poundage trad bow you could overcome the energy spent on the head deploying.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

It is basically a matter of kinetic energy I guess. So if the KE is high enough they should work as long as the head is well maintained and functions properly, a dirty had ogre bent blade, or a bad shot is where lack of energy is going to become a problem

Comment

Working...
                                X