a ride in the hill country..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a ride in the hill country..

The wife and I took one of them Sunday drives today, started out headed to Llano, then to Enchanted Rock, back to Lake Buchannan, then to Pace Bend (drove by Deb and Arvin’s place) and finally by the family cemetery at Hudson Bend to check on my dad’s grave.. Just got back to the house.. Had a blast and seen a lot of deer, but man were they poor… ribs sticking out and sunken bellies on every one we saw. In fifty years of hunting deer all over Texas and especially in the hill country I’ve never seen the deer as emaciated as I saw today.. I didn’t see a deer that I’d eat if I shot it..

Its bad out there all over. Keep doing yalls rain dance. Maybe one day it shall come

Comment

We are having the same issue. I hope it gets better.

Comment

Heard our herd in Stonewall was looking half way decent. Actually most trailcams show the bucks doing well and the does with fawns are mostly down in weight.

Comment

Why didn't you stop in and say hello?

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
            Why didn't you stop in and say hello?
            We were going to but but it was getting late and the lightening bolts were flashing.. so we hurried to the cemetery and just beat the rain... next time

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
              Heard our herd in Stonewall was looking half way decent. Actually most trailcams show the bucks doing well and the does with fawns are mostly down in weight.
              If you got water and feed I would reckon they're doing better than the deer I saw.. I didn't see a single tank with water, every thing was dry.. even the park deer were in bad shape..
              Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 09-18-2011, 08:58 PM.

Comment

We have water out for them, but they sure do look poor.

Comment

The poorest I've seen it here in years! The death toll...who knows how many have died due to the drought?

Just can't get motivated to hunt this year....venison quality will be down and those that survived.....I feel they deserve to live this year.

Comment

I thought it was dry this year till we made a trip labor day weekend. We go to see family and coincidentally we go on opening weekend of dove season. We started last year hunting a tank. When we got there they told us we could try the tank, but it was dry. I knew there had to he some water in it. That thing was bone dry. I couldn't beleive how bad things were On the west side of the state. I realized we were pretty well off when i got back home.
                    Last edited by bk_tradguy88; 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

We are lucky that our tanks have water, scouting cameras look good but seen deer that are not residents that look sad.

Comment

Working...
                      X