Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
brunner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca/Comal County
Default Anyone hunt Arkansas?

Anyone have experience hunting/finding a hunting lease in western Arkansas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brunner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I used to hunt land in Miller County (Texarkana) growing up but it was land that belonged to friends of my father. My Dad shot a nice non-typical on ranch land off of 82 in the early 70s. I never saw anything large but some have.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
MadHatter
Ten Point

Grew up there (Mena Ar), and hunted it my whole life. If you are looking for at Western AR, I would look no further than the Quachita Mts. In total there is around 700,000 acres of public land I believe. Beautiful country, plenty of deer, and no crowds. There are many points you can access the Quachita trail to get in out of different areas. While it's not on the scale of Colorado, be ready to do some work, if you kill one back in the hills.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home
Default Anyone hunt Arkansas?

Hunted on one in Lewisville for years. Always got a deer or two each season. Saw deer about 1/3 to half my sits if I had to guess. Plenty of poachers and got stuff stolen every year. Some decent deer killed every year though.

Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
diamond06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Columbia County Arkansas

I am hunting in Columbia county between Magnolia and Eldorado. We have killed some nice deer in the last couple of years. I love it and its cheaper than hunting texas.
diamond06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
brunner
Pope & Young

All good info!

How do you go about finding a place there?

Old 01-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
lakefork
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS

I own 180 acres in SW AR but never hunt it. There are plenty of deer but just not what I'm looking for. I hunt KS and TX instead. So I'm curious why you want to hunt there since you hunt in good deer country.
lakefork is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

You might check Deltic timbers site for available leases.

http://www.deltic.com/hunting/arkansas.htm
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #9
Low Fence
Pope & Young

East Arkansas has some delta giants... that's all I'll say ��
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #10
HR3
Ten Point

Hunt In: AR,LA,MS,AL,TX,IN....

I hunt ALL over south Arkansas and big deer to be found....cheaper than Texas and bow season opens earlier and runs til February 28....try RMS, Weyerhaeuser and Campbell timber companies.....

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
HR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #11
acearrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nashoba, Ok

Hunted on a lease near Camden for three years. Got lease through timber company(they sold property this past year). Have gone up every year for the past 9 years now in February to hunt public land either near Paris(northwest) or Poison Springs(southwest). Have never had a lot of luck there but have enjoyed it. It is nice to go camp out a month after season in Texas is over and try and shoot a deer. I think we took 6 off our lease last year. Never saw much on the place we had but have heard of and seen some nice deer taken by some hunters in the area.
acearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #12
big papa
Ten Point

I'm thinking about trying to find something in Arkansas as well.
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #13
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Shouldn't be too hard to find a reasonable timber company lease over there. There are pockets of really good deer north of 1-30, but should find good numbers throughout the area. I spend most of my hunting time in NE Ar now, but that's a different ballgame from down south. Different terrain and different deer.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
brunner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefork View Post
I own 180 acres in SW AR but never hunt it. There are plenty of deer but just not what I'm looking for. I hunt KS and TX instead. So I'm curious why you want to hunt there since you hunt in good deer country.

The biggest reason is hunt some different terrain, season is from last weekend in September to last weekend in February (20-21 weeks long), cheaper than hunting Texas, still allow baiting, and most places are 5-6 deer county bag limits. I've never been a trophy hunter so the 5-6 deer bag limit plus the possibility of bear and turkeys is enticing to me.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
lakefork
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS

All good reasons my friend.
lakefork is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #16
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

If I never sit in the middle of a bunch of pine trees staring down a fire break or a logging road again in my life!! I'm good with it!!!

Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2017, 10:40 PM   #17
clinthwt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana,Etoile tx, cuero tx, Kent tx,

Family land in Washington just outside of Hope. Brother in law put a 184" non typical 18 point on his wall off my wife's land lol. I have hunted once there, just too far to drive but they have some awesome deer there.
clinthwt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2017, 10:46 PM   #18
glocker
Eight Point

Hunt In: NWA, Central Tex

No deer in Arkansas, plus the Hillbilly folk are all gone on lightning and up to no good.....
glocker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #19
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
If I never sit in the middle of a bunch of pine trees staring down a fire break or a logging road again in my life!! I'm good with it!!!

This.

I got on a lease in AR this year and saw very few deer before they vanished. LOTS of hogs though. Also lots of mosquitos and water moccasins. I hunted two weekends in October and haven't been back. I was seeing deer almost every sit here and couldn't talk myself into going to that **** place to see no deer. Next time I go is to bring back all my stuff. I've seen two guys I know shoot nice bucks in AR this past year so I know they're there. But I won't be going back.

Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #20
apod44
Nubbin' Buck

I hunt near Rosston (3 1/2 hr drive from Wylie) I always sdeer. lots of hogs. A few good bucks get killed on our lease every year. Much cheaper than hunting in TX. And Archery season runs end of September to Feb 28th.
apod44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #21
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly

My wife’s family is from north eastern Arkansas there some really nice deer up there locals just don’t talk about them.
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #22
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb Ct., Karnes Ct.

I met an old man with some family land when I was at U of A. He let me hunt for splitting a winters worth of firewood. Sure was a nice little place back in the hills. Sent flowers and a nice letter to the family when he died a couple years ago.
jaker_cc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #23
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Arkansas hunting sucks. Wouldn't waste your time going there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM   #24
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
This.

I got on a lease in AR this year and saw very few deer before they vanished. LOTS of hogs though. Also lots of mosquitos and water moccasins. I hunted two weekends in October and haven't been back. I was seeing deer almost every sit here and couldn't talk myself into going to that **** place to see no deer. Next time I go is to bring back all my stuff. I've seen two guys I know shoot nice bucks in AR this past year so I know they're there. But I won't be going back.

Sounds like you were in southwest Ar. Basically east texas, and yeah, it sucks! Beautiful country further north, and east more hardwood bottoms than I've ever seen in Texas. If beetles came and ate every pine tree in East Texas, including the 300 acres we have planted, I could care less!
It's like getting psyched up to go watch a movie, and then you get there, and it's like, " Oh now I remember why I hate the movies, only thing playing is Barney".
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #25
Low Fence
Pope & Young

One thing you will learn there is they have mosquitoes that can stand flat footed and &%#$ a chicken! There is zero reason to go until November..... and timber company sucks! Go public, be willing to learn and adapt and be amazed! It ain’t easy but a trophy animal shouldn’t be
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #26
asu-indian
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

My family has had land in eastern AR since mid 1800's. You'll need a spotlight in that area. lol
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #27
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
One thing you will learn there is they have mosquitoes that can stand flat footed and &%#$ a chicken! There is zero reason to go until November..... and timber company sucks! Go public, be willing to learn and adapt and be amazed! It ainít easy but a trophy animal shouldnít be
We always said Turkey
And he is 100% correct. The Quachita National Forest is amazing. Over a million acres, in the mountains, all one giant forest.
If corn feeders, and stands, are your thing, it's probably not for you. If packing in, walking through the mountains, glassing saddles, etc..is your thing it's the bees knees without having to drive out west. It's like a mini Colorado, and it's full of big whitetails. As mentioned, the highest amount of book deer, come out of the delta, due to the immense amount of agriculture, rich soils, etc...it's beanfield hunting Kenny Jarret style . Problem is all that land is hard to come by, and $$$$$ when it does. Plenty have come out of the quachitas though, and it receives a 100th of the pressure the delta does. Arkansawins don't really hunt the national forest though, and out of staters are minimal unless you are in a wma, and you should know that's a trap going in. Overlooked gem imo and its public, just sitting there waiting to be utilized.

Last edited by MadHatter; Yesterday at 10:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM   #28
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Sounds like you were in southwest Ar. Basically east texas, and yeah, it sucks! Beautiful country further north, and east more hardwood bottoms than I've ever seen in Texas. If beetles came and ate every pine tree in East Texas, including the 300 acres we have planted, I could care less!

It's like getting psyched up to go watch a movie, and then you get there, and it's like, " Oh now I remember why I hate the movies, only thing playing is Barney".
thatís exactly where I was. Just inside the Arkansas border.

I will say that I did kill a raccoon though. 350-400 yards with an AR15 at camp mid afternoon. Thatís an expensive raccoon lease.

Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top