Preparing for my nilgai hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing for my nilgai hunt.

Well I am in OSHA 30 all next week. Friday after my test I am rewarding myself by heading south for a nilgai hunt. I was gonna take my .308 but after researching on here I have decided that a .22mag is more than enough gun to bring down one of these delicate creatures.

Jk. I’m bringing the 7 mag.

It’s a Ruger American stainless. 7mm Remington magnum. It is currently topped with a vortex viper HS 4-16x44 vmr-1 reticle.

My bullet choice is a sako 170 grain hammerhead bonded soft point. Got it sighted in at 200 yards today and I would say I’m good to go.

After talking with the outfitter it seems most shots are anywhere from 150-350 yards. I’m pretty comfortable out to about 500 yards so we should be able to get it done. Now all I have to do is get through OSHA training. This week is gonna go by slow as ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The hunt will be a blast! Just returned from a 3-day nilgai Hunt this week. Killed a solid bull and tagged along with a few others in group as they all put one down. Certainly a unique critter and pretty neat to watch. The 7 mag will work great...those bulls can soak up some lead though. Guys in our group shot everything from .270 to .300 RUM- only one that had an exit wound was the .270 (fluke I know but still rather funny.) Enjoy the trip and post up pics...

Comment

Good luck, with the training and the hunt. Post pictures....of the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by 2germans View Post
        The hunt will be a blast! Just returned from a 3-day nilgai Hunt this week. Killed a solid bull and tagged along with a few others in group as they all put one down. Certainly a unique critter and pretty neat to watch. The 7 mag will work great...those bulls can soak up some lead though. Guys in our group shot everything from .270 to .300 RUM- only one that had an exit wound was the .270 (fluke I know but still rather funny.) Enjoy the trip and post up pics...

Congrats man! Got any pics of the bull you took?

Comment

Good luck. Who’s the outfitter your going with. Nilgai is on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by G5-Maniac View Post
            Good luck. Who’s the outfitter your going with. Nilgai is on my list.

Going with a guy on fb. His name is Kayote Barrera. He has a great success rate and great reviews.

Comment

When do start your hunt

Comment

Originally posted by live2hunt65 View Post
                When do start your hunt

Probably Saturday morning. May try and go out with the thermal on Friday evening but it depends on what time I can get down there.

Comment

Great choice good luck!

Comment

Love a good OSHA 30 hour

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                      Love a good OSHA 30 hour

Lol who doesn’t

Comment

Man I thought I set up for the perfect LDP pics. Hell that pic is set up like a playboy center fold.

Comment

That'll get it done. Enjoy the trip and post up some pics.

Comment

Nice setup man. Good luck!

Comment

Good luck, you’ll have a blast

Comment

Working...
                              X