Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing around San Antonio

Good day gentlemen,

My Son is currently stationed at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio while he is undergoing medical training there. I am going to see him this weekend, and my Son wants me to bring the boat so we can do some fishing. Since I have never fished around San Antonio, I need some ideas of where to go to try and get a couple hookups. The weather is supposed to be bad on Saturday, but Sunday's forecast is sunny and windy.

I was thinking of going to Canyon Lake, but know nothing about that particular impoundment. Any ideas, methods, or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any assistance given.

Proud Parent of a Soldier

Might look into Calaveras or Brauning. I have had some luck catfishing at Calaveras in the past. Fished Canyon Lake a few times but it always seemed to be more of a recreational lake versus fishing. However, it it much prettier than the other two.

Comment

Big bass are found in Choke Canyon an hour or so South of town. Calaveras has a lot of catfish but it is close. Medina and Canyon both have bass and cats.

Comment

Canyon has never been a great fishing Lake. Brauning and Calaveras are much more popular fishing lakes that hold redfish. The local guides downrig out there just watching fish finders and do well this time of year. The Guadalupe river holds nice trout year round - don’t need a boat though

Comment

Brauning fish by the dame if you have a trolling motor
          Canyon lake will be a mad house on the weekend
          Boerne lake has good bass but It's trolling motor only and s small

Comment

What are you wanting fish for. For all round fishing I would go to Choke Canyon.

Comment

Go to Braunig and fish the dam/riprap with crank baits. I position my boat against the shore and cast parallel, letting the crank bait bounce on the rocks on the retrieve. Bass, catfish, and an occasional rat red. While you are fishing the riprap, keep an eye over your shoulder for reds chasing shad on top, and when you see them toss a jig into the melee. Just don't get too close as you'll put them down.

Can also go to the warm water discharge, tie up to the cable, and cast chrome or chrome/blue Rattletraps as far up the discharge as you can cast, for hybrid stripers.

Comment

Corpus

Comment

Working...
                X