Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
    Hey y'all! Just a wuick note from Iraq. All is well here, besides the fact that they wont let me ship my bow, and the last unit tore up the range that was here. They did not take care of it and it went to ****. Other than that I am doing well.
    How are them hogs and thunderchickens coming along? I see ole Matt scored on a nice bird. Congrats bub! Anyone else had any luck? You know I have to live vicaiously through y'all for now until I get back...........soooooooo......lets get to killin and postin some pics......LOL!
    Man that sucks they won't let you ship your bow. I was gonna order one from whoever it is that has the offer i seen. can't remember now. but i was afraid i wouldn't be able to get it home. i know on our list of items you can't take back are ALL non mtoe weapons. this even includes bb guns. so that might be the reason.

When you due back. I got till June.. and i can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by ballisticbudda View Post
      If you selectively chose a location for the popup, it will have a minimal impact. I've got two setups where I clears some cedar branches on the back side of the trees and then placed the popup in between the trees. Use some 550 cord to tie back branches that may interfere with the shot. When done hunting, let the branches go back in place. Since I only shoot out one corner of the blind, I can get away with quite a bit. Just make sure to set out the blind to let it air out. I took about a week for mine to stop smelling like nylon or whatever they used. Above all, scent control going in, you have to play the wind.

Thanks for the tips. I'm planning on setting my pop-up up, when i get home and launching some arrows from it. I've never shot from a blind before. so it will defiantly get aired out..

Comment

Originally posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
        Hey y'all! Just a wuick note from Iraq. All is well here, besides the fact that they wont let me ship my bow, and the last unit tore up the range that was here. They did not take care of it and it went to ****. Other than that I am doing well.
        How are them hogs and thunderchickens coming along? I see ole Matt scored on a nice bird. Congrats bub! Anyone else had any luck? You know I have to live vicaiously through y'all for now until I get back...........soooooooo......lets get to killin and postin some pics......LOL!
        Take care of your back side my friend. The piggies are on they're "guess what time we're gonna show up and on what day" summer routine so you aren't missing much. Might get some rain tonight, so if we do, that might get them moving. It does seem to be a good year for turkeys, but I have not been out at all. Matt's the man when it comes to Hood hunting for most anything. He puts in his time and reaps the reward. Take care of your self Jason and get back asap.

Comment

Originally posted by HoffDawg View Post
          Thanks for the tips. I'm planning on setting my pop-up up, when i get home and launching some arrows from it. I've never shot from a blind before. so it will defiantly get aired out..
          It's kind of cut out the inside of a couple trees or bushes and put the pop up inside the cut out. I'll take a couple pictures next time out if I remember. That way it's protected from the elements and cows. The cattle will walk right over a pop-up if it's between them and where they want to go. They don't have "walk around it" in there repertoire. If you happen to be in it, oh well ...... So, put it in a bush or behind a tree and your good.

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
            It's kind of cut out the inside of a couple trees or bushes and put the pop up inside the cut out. I'll take a couple pictures next time out if I remember. That way it's protected from the elements and cows. The cattle will walk right over a pop-up if it's between them and where they want to go. They don't have "walk around it" in there repertoire. If you happen to be in it, oh well ...... So, put it in a bush or behind a tree and your good.
            Thanks defiantly don't want any cows walking over my blind. might be a little unhappy..LOL..

Comment

Originally posted by HoffDawg View Post
              Thanks defiantly don't want any cows walking over my blind. might be a little unhappy..LOL..
              It'll scare the not out of you! Been there, done that. Fortunately the cow was on the right side and I was on the left. All that being said, pop ups work well and you can get a year, or more, out of one if you set it up in a protected spot. Got me a brandy new one that I'm gonna put someplace. Don't got a clue where just yet.

Comment

yeah, mine is brand new too, bought it in nov. and it went straight to the shed. also got one of those chair blinds i might break out if i have to for limited range deer with the shot gun.

Can't wait to get back and start scouting and doing a little piggie hunting. got a cheap TC that I want to put out someplace as well.

Comment

Hey yall A buddy brought over some Axis Deer for me to make some Jerky for him now that is some good snakins.. We had one comeing in at one of our feeders I gues if he gives me the chance I will give him a sleeping pill.
                  Good luck to all.
                  FLIP

Comment

Hey all I am with Jason living through you guys, Africa is pretty crazy definately the "Akhunna Matta" style of life, I watched a guy on a boda (motorcycle Taxi) Get smasked in between two cars, they just scrap them off the road there are so many, I got pics but I think they would get removed. I have 1 more day here then I go forward but live is good, no malaria yet and guts still working the right way LOL for now at least. Ed you keep them hogs confused and moving we will see you all on the back side before deer season. I am looking at booking a hunt down here cost for 4 animal is 2800 american dollars, can't do that one in texas, this is for plains game for 5 days. SAWEET good luck all and see ya soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdRanger View Post
                      Hey all I am with Jason living through you guys, Africa is pretty crazy definately the "Akhunna Matta" style of life, I watched a guy on a boda (motorcycle Taxi) Get smasked in between two cars, they just scrap them off the road there are so many, I got pics but I think they would get removed. I have 1 more day here then I go forward but live is good, no malaria yet and guts still working the right way LOL for now at least. Ed you keep them hogs confused and moving we will see you all on the back side before deer season. I am looking at booking a hunt down here cost for 4 animal is 2800 american dollars, can't do that one in texas, this is for plains game for 5 days. SAWEET good luck all and see ya soon.
                      Take care down there.. See you in the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by flipajig View Post
                        Hey yall A buddy brought over some Axis Deer for me to make some Jerky for him now that is some good snakins.. We had one comeing in at one of our feeders I gues if he gives me the chance I will give him a sleeping pill.
                        Good luck to all.
                        FLIP
                        You are right about that! We cooked some axis and whitetail backstrap for a taste test and the axis took it. Some really good meat. This is the axis that eluded me last year. Lost his horns half way through the season and only saw him without them. Always next year....
                        Attached Files

Comment

nice

Comment

Is there any areas on Fort Hood that might be good for bowhunting deer that do not get a lot of hunting pressure? The area I tried last year was always booked up or closed because of training. I really want to try and start scouting a couple of areas but Hood is so large I was hoping someone might could narrow the options down. Thanks for any advice.

Comment

I'm looking for the same thing. Hopefully I can get lucky during the first week of bow season. I am taking the week off. Maybe get done early and then go after the hogs.

Comment

I would call that wishful thinking. There are a lot of hunters that call Ft Hood home. You have to be like Ed and get off of the beaten path to find a secluded area. Even then, nothing is guaranteed.

Comment

Working...
                                X