Powerstroke 6.4 Opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerstroke 6.4 Opinions please

I've been looking at used trucks and just wanted to get some opinions on this motor. I don't want to buy myself a headache if at all possible.

Thanks

I'd stay clear. Even after being bulletproofed they are still a sensor eater. I'll never own a 6.0/6.4. If you don't mind constantly maintaining it with little parts it's fine and a solid base that will last and make plenty of power. I asked my diesel mechanic (who is one of the best mechanics that I know) a while back what could I do to make it more reliable and he said "replace it with a Cummins". I'm sure you'll get some conflicting opinions though

Comment

Buy one that's already had the EGR/head stud/radiator issues handled. I've got an '08 F350 with 178K miles that I bought new in Dec '07 and will drive it until it won't anymore. EGR & DPF deleted it last year and breathed new life into it. Good luck to you.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
        I'd stay clear. Even after being bulletproofed they are still a sensor eater. I'll never own a 6.0/6.4. If you don't mind constantly maintaining it with little parts it's fine and a solid base that will last and make plenty of power. I asked my diesel mechanic (who is one of the best mechanics that I know) a while back what could I do to make it more reliable and he said "replace it with a Cummins". I'm sure you'll get some conflicting opinions though
        Is the 6.7 any better?

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
          Is the 6.7 any better?
          To be completely honest, I don't know much about them...

I do love the 7.3 though

Comment

I would stay away from the 6.4.

It would be money well spent in the long run if you spent a little more and bought a 6.7

Comment

Is the 6.7 any better?
              The 6.7 has proven to be a much better motor.

Given the costs associated with "bullet proofing" a 6.0 or 6.4 or the costs of repairs (usually around $12,000) when one of them fails, it is impossible for me to consider buying one. Even though you can find them pretty cheap.

Comment

If you're a High-stakes gambling man....the 6.0 or 6.4 is the ticket.
                Last edited by Traildust; 04-25-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Stay clear...the 6.7 is ok.

Comment

Junk- move on

There are diamonds in the rough, but overall its a headache waiting to happen.
                    The worst motor Ford has ever made ( until the eco boost)

Comment

Just say no to the 6.0 and the 6.4 and thank us later. If you want a ford diesel either find a 7.3 with low miles on it or buy a 6.7 and live a worry free life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been looking at used trucks and just wanted to get some opinions on this motor. I don't want to buy myself a headache if at all possible.

Thanks
                        Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                        Junk- move on

There are diamonds in the rough, but overall its a headache waiting to happen.
                        The worst motor Ford has ever made ( until the eco boost)

BowSlayer, I would recommend doing your own impartial research. I would definitely take everything you get on here with a grain of salt. Powerstroke forums are probably a good place to start.

For example, of what I am talking about, I have never met an Ecoboost owner that didn't like it. NEVER. Seen people bash it on the internet? Yes. I have 65k on mine and LOVE it. I get 20-21 mpg with cruise control set at 67 mph, I tow a 60 horse John Deere, 36 foot Wildwood, and a 24 foot sea hunt all the time with zero problems.

Met a guy once that said Cummins are crap, did I believe it? No. I met a guy that said Ford Modular V8s (5.4/4.6) were POS's. I put 285k miles on one, and worked it hard.

Comment

Is the 6.7 any better?
                          Absolutely.

But we do have an ‘08 6.4 in the company fleet with 270k miles. All stock and no motor troubles yet. As has been said, 6.4s are hit and miss.

Also, count me as another happy ecoboost owner.

Comment

6.4 with 209,000 miles. No troubles.

Comment

I have a 08 6.4 job 1. (3 in that year) I have replaced water pump, radiator, alternator, fuel filter assembly under the cab, new shocks, tires, dang brake calipers 2-3 times, and a new pcm computer(old mechanics fault, that burned me) . I deleted it last year and right after radiator cracked and water pump failed. I did the computer update ford recalled and it felt like it lowered my power substantially. That was 2-3 years back.

As of now it is a new truck with no issues and i will drive it until it blows. i have 147k miles on it. Hoping to get a lot more out of it.

To answer your question, every truck has its issues and you will get a different opinion from every person. My diesel mechanic here said the 6.4 is a great truck once dpf deleted. I agree and would buy another one for the price i bought mine years ago.
                              I wish Ford would of decided to put the 7.3 engine, with the 6.4 transmission.

Comment

Working...
                              X