Question for those with home AC knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those with home AC knowledge

Our downstairs unit is struggling and I think we may need to replace it. It is a 10 seer Rheem that is 20 years old. I have a guy coming out on Monday. He is from a company I have used before (they replaced our upstairs unit a few years ago) but I don’t want to get talked into a more expensive unit than I need, which I think happens a lot. For example I’ve read that a common pitch is that paying thousands more for a 21 sear will pay for itself. (?) Assuming it does need to be replaced, How do you figure out what you really need? I hate being at the mercy of a salesman that knows more than I do.

The only knowledge I have is replacing them..if your at 20 years I’d say you got your money’s worth. I think I’d go with 16 seer which may be the standard nowadays. I would avoid Trane not because they aren’t good but they are darn expensive .

Comment

My buddy is an AC person and he usually discouraged me from paying way more for the really high SEER numbers. When most were getting 14 seer, I installed a 16. He said really not cost effective (at that time) to go higher. He said the money is better spent on added insulation.

Comment

The minimum is 14 seer. Get at least a 16. Now, the payback on the difference between a 16 and 20 seer is what you consider. You can't consider a payback on the base cost of the system because you need it regardless. The other thing is the comfort level the 20 will provide. The 20 seer will have a variable speed compressor and indoor fan motor. Also get a high efficiency filter and only change it once or twice a year. A lot of money, but you will find its worth it.

Comment

Jerp, I’m not an a/c expert, and had a similar problem.

My 20 year old downstairs unit seemed to be struggling about a month ago.

It had been a couple of years since I’d given the condenser coils a good cleaning. Bought a couple of cans of cleaner, sprayed them on and then rinsed them very well with water.

The a/c perked right back up.

Might be worth a shot before buying a new unit.

Good luck.

Comment

Personally I would avoid the variable speed compressor, and indoor blower. I will take reliability over efficiency any day.
            The extra bells and whistles usually cost you more up front and long term.
            The higher efficiency units will "pay for themselves" over time ( in theory).
            (In the real world) You loose any money you would have saved ( and more ) the first time your variable indoor fan module goes out and you pay them to come back to fix it.
            I would also do some reaseach and see what manufacturers have a history of leaking coils, avoid them as well.
            Just my cents

Comment

No help other than beware!

Buddy of mine has an a.c. company and he's the only employee. At least once a week he's fixing something for under 100 bucks that some other company has quoted thousands more.

Just last week seasons a.c. in magnolia quoted a lady 8500 bucks for a complete system. Her contactor was stuck open. 45 bucks and she's fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by John316 View Post
                Personally I would avoid the variable speed compressor, and indoor blower. I will take reliability over efficiency any day.
                The extra bells and whistles usually cost you more up front and long term.
                The higher efficiency units will "pay for themselves" over time ( in theory).
                (In the real world) You loose any money you would have saved ( and more ) the first time your variable indoor fan module goes out and you pay them to come back to fix it.
                I would also do some reaseach and see what manufacturers have a history of leaking coils, avoid them as well.
                Just my cents
                John, you are right, and I have not installed enough numbers of 20seer systems to vouch for reliability personally. The ones I have seen however, have been some of the sweetest running residential systems I have ever encountered. I know a couple of other companies that move good numbers, and they don't report any higher reliability issues than with standard equipment. The other issue is does the company you use have techs that are capable of handling the troubleshooting aspect of these systems, even with the high level of diagnostics the controls provide. Mechanically these systems should hold up as long as any other equipment built today. It won't be many years before these will be the only systems you can buy. Energy costs and gov mandates will drive it, like 14 seer being the least you can but today. Almost all of the mini split systems use this technology now.

I don't consider parts cost as much of an issue as all mfgs today give a 10 year warranty on parts. And if one doesn't, I would look for one that does.

And for the coil leaking issue, every manufacturer has had or is still having issues with coil leaks. Some mfg's have had more issues than others. This issue is getting better, but not totally behind the industry yet.

Comment

Working...
                X