Snake dog??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by .270 View Post
    Bob Webster of KTSA 550 am says a pair of snake tongs are a must have for anyone living in the country.

https://www.amazon.com/Gotobuy-Profe.../dp/B00R3WYFAE
    That **** thing is about 6' too short.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
      We put owl boxes up. Barn Owls got rid of all the rats/mice/rabbits and the snakes never came looking.
      Tell me more about the owl boxes and location to put, etc.. I have room. I'd like cats but I think my lab and GSP would be their demise. They didn't grow up with cats and kill every rabbit, skunk, possum etc. they can find.. I am thinking a running cat would be the same... I won't make that mistake again when I get pups.. I will have kittens and pups so they all love each other....

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
        If you are getting a dog for snake control follow these 2 rules: Keep your expectations low and buy cheap dogs.

Brutally honest but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a JRT and he loves to kill snakes, but I’d be a little worried about putting him on a rattlesnake

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
            Timber rattlers were supposed to be an "endangered" species and protected in Texas. Don't know if that is still the case or not, but if one is found around my house, it will, in fact, be "endangered".....
            Personally, I think there are enough in SETx that they can be taken off the ESL.

Comment

We have a heeler that got bit last year, we never saw the snake, but assumed it was a rattlesnake. Our suspicions were confirmed a few months later when a locust chattered in the neighbors tree, and ol snakefighter tucked tail and hauled *** for the back door!

In his defense, it must have been a really big snake, or he got a big dose...he lost about all the hide on one leg and part of his chest, took forever to heal, and he still limps.

Comment

I dont know about a dog for the purpose of snake killing, I would think a cat may be better. But...when i was younger I had 4 beagles and they would bay copperheads and cotton mouths in the yard until you came out and shot it. They had a different sounding bark when they got on a snake.

Comment

I'd get a pair of barn cats. They will take care of mice and rats and that is enough to make snakes more scarce.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    We have a heeler that got bit last year, we never saw the snake, but assumed it was a rattlesnake. Our suspicions were confirmed a few months later when a locust chattered in the neighbors tree, and ol snakefighter tucked tail and hauled *** for the back door!

In his defense, it must have been a really big snake, or he got a big dose...he lost about all the hide on one leg and part of his chest, took forever to heal, and he still limps.
                    I have an acquaintance that lives out your way and he has "relocated" a couple of Timber Rattlers off his place.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
                      If you are getting a dog for snake control follow these 2 rules: Keep your expectations low and buy cheap dogs.
                      Pound is full of them

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                        Keep you grass cut short and take away any food source and get a Maine Coon cat. We had one that would kill anything that got in its way. Snakes mice rats and other cats that was one bad *** cat lived to be 22 years old.

That’s a big pussycat! 22yrs old in more than legal, even in Maine.

Comment

Working...
                        X