Spring Break homework rant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
    Got this today. Why would kids have anxiety problems in school? They shouldn't.

[ATTACH]847172[/ATTACH]
    While the worry monster sounds awfully lame, I had severe anxiety when I was in grade school. For no apparent reason to be honest. I wish there would have been something teaching me how to deal with it past doctors trying to prescribe an 8 year old Xanax.

That being said, I'm 31 years old now, and still have severe anxiety attacks sometimes. I've learned to deal with them without medication or a "worry monster", but I don't wish the way I had to learn to deal with it on anyone. Especially a child.

At least they're trying now.

That is all... carry on.

Good luck Clint!

Comment

sounds like the teacher gets home and has a few drinky drinks and then dreams up stuff to email...

Comment

I hate these threads that don't have a conclusion. It kinda makes me feel like it turns out the kid was not being truthful about what was going on, or the parents didn't think it was really a big enough deal to follow through on. A lot of people on here got all riled up at the teacher and we don't even know the final result. As Paul Harvey would say...we want "the rest of the story".

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
          I hate these threads that don't have a conclusion. It kinda makes me feel like it turns out the kid was not being truthful about what was going on, or the parents didn't think it was really a big enough deal to follow through on. A lot of people on here got all riled up at the teacher and we don't even know the final result. As Paul Harvey would say...we want "the rest of the story".
          That's what I was thinking. JR may have been fibbing.

Comment

in for an update

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
              That's what I was thinking. JR may have been fibbing.
              Tubby is a no BS kinda guy.
              IF junior was fibbing, he wouldn't hesitate to get on here and tell us exactly that.

I'm sure he'll update, when there's something worth updating.

Comment

Worked at a HS in Southeast Houston, we had a no homework policy because research shows that it has a very limited benefit and it actually has a negative benefit for elementary students.

Comment

I come from a teaching family. If you want things changed in school you need to start looking at who you are electing during state elections. The regulations, requirements and pressure put on teachers is unreal. All the work they put into the year, new standards that require having to teach elementary students algebra and then the paper work they have to do is a heavy burden. Then if that teacher is in a STAAR tested subject it all comes down to one day for 4 hrs to determine how good of a teacher you are. If a student is sick, tired, has a rough life or doesn't want to take the test the state doesn't care. It's all about scores. When that teacher's students don't score well enough bam done, see ya. If you want it to change don't b#tch and moan to the teachers or administration look at who is in charge of education in our state.

Comment

I’m curious how many years this teacher has under her belt. I would be willing to bet no more than 3-4 with the way she’s running her classroom.

Comment

Originally posted by cap50948 View Post
                      i come from a teaching family. If you want things changed in school you need to start looking at who you are electing during state elections. The regulations, requirements and pressure put on teachers is unreal. All the work they put into the year, new standards that require having to teach elementary students algebra and then the paper work they have to do is a heavy burden. Then if that teacher is in a staar tested subject it all comes down to one day for 4 hrs to determine how good of a teacher you are. If a student is sick, tired, has a rough life or doesn't want to take the test the state doesn't care. It's all about scores. When that teacher's students don't score well enough bam done, see ya. If you want it to change don't b#tch and moan to the teachers or administration look at who is in charge of education in our state.
                      amen brother!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                        Candidly I think this is the way it should be. We need to push our kids more instead of coddeling them through their academic life.

I've graduated 4 out of high school into college and one still there. One current college and two in grad school. I've heard the I didn't know until the last minute story for years . . . . you might be surprised when he in fact was told of the assignment.

The number one struggle for my kids was they were not prepared for the amount of work and discipline. Not a single one had a problem with the content.

I recently spoke to my ASU student about the same thing. She sent me the email and I didn't know i was supposed to check. . . . .

My answer i checked mine often during your spring break.

All this does is set the kids up to be workaholics. So when they have a job and there boss expects them to answer emails and work while they are on vacation the kids will just do it.
                        Spring breaks and vacations are supposed to be a time for you or them to recharge and spend time with family or friends.
                        Work is not the most important thing in your life.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmangeorge View Post
                          All this does is set the kids up to be workaholics. So when they have a job and there boss expects them to answer emails and work while they are on vacation the kids will just do it.
                          Spring breaks and vacations are supposed to be a time for you or them to recharge and spend time with family or friends.
                          Work is not the most important thing in your life.

You are right. Work is not the most important thing in life. Teachers feel the same way. Who wants to grade all that stuff? I sure wouldn't. Teachers need a break as much as the kids.

Comment

Well it has been 10 days now since the original issue was uncovered. It has been my experience that the longer it goes without an outcome or decision being rendered, the less and less likely that anything will ever happen. I wonder about the kids who went to New York on a school trip and received a 0 also. Surely their parents have expressed their concerns also???? If a teacher is treating kids unfairly, it should have been brought to administrator's attending immediately. Maybe all this has been done and he just hasn't updated, but I think its unfair to the teacher to get blasted on social media without any of us knowing how this thing shook out.

Comment

Originally posted by cap50948 View Post
                              You are right. Work is not the most important thing in life. Teachers feel the same way. Who wants to grade all that stuff? I sure wouldn't. Teachers need a break as much as the kids.
                              But while my granddaughter had home work during spring break, her teacher was sipping umberella drinks on the beach in Cancun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                                A) You don't know Tubby or haven't read many posts from him.
                                B) You obviously aren't privy to the skeleton hand thread and how that turned out.
                                C) Principals sure have a lot of free time.

Comment

Working...
                                X